U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,015,057 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering. Are the brown recluse spiders a real problem in Tennessee? Also to anyone who grew up in a place where Brown recluse spiders didn't exist but have moved to Tennessee, how did you deal with living in an environment where you have to be extremely careful of these spiders? Here in Wisconsin we just have rattlesnakes. They are pretty rare to see though. I never really come across any spiders here either.

The Bottom Line!
  • To those that are new to these Recluse Regions, How did you deal with them?
  • Are certain areas more likely to have them then others?
Thanks, Josh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 PM

6,289 posts, read 22,327,525 times
Brown recluses are way down on my list of things to worry about. With a little knowledge and awareness someone can avoid the little critters for the most part.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,153,295 times
Josh, there are at least a couple of similar threads here on this very forum with good advice!

just do a search for "brown recluse" and you'll find them.

Good luck and try not to worry!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 AM

32,644 posts, read 27,655,644 times
Browns and black widows are not a big problem, just use common sense. Spray your house, look before you reach into dark spooky areas. If you get bit, get to a dr. and get some anti biotics. I know of several people who have be bitten by browns. It can get ugly if not treated.
Its been my exp. that copperheads like to hang out around the foundation. They can be agressive little buggers. Careful when weeding or turning over rocks or logs. There are water snakes that look much like copperheads but are harmless. Rattlesnakes Ive encountered have been in the woods and have given warning. Hate to say it but I kill copperheads and rattlers. Dont want to take a chance of them biting my grandkids. All other snakes I leave alone. They tend to get mad when you poke them with a stick.
Saw my first snake of the season Friday slithering along the foundation.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,153,295 times
2mares, I agree with you about the snakes. We haven't stumbled upon a copperhead yet but know they're around (we're still in nj). If I do, he's history; we have a two year old and I couldn't forgive myself if ever... God forbid.

All nonpoisonous snakes we leave alone (we do have three as pets, after all). They eat rodents and bugs and are nothing but a benefit. Northern ringnecks are my favorite. Their underbelly is a brilliant shade of yellowish orange, they're just stunning.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 AM

13,156 posts, read 37,729,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I'm just wondering. Are the brown recluse spiders a real problem in Tennessee? Also to anyone who grew up in a place where Brown recluse spiders didn't exist but have moved to Tennessee, how did you deal with living in an environment where you have to be extremely careful of these spiders? Here in Wisconsin we just have rattlesnakes. They are pretty rare to see though. I never really come across any spiders here either.

The Bottom Line!
Thanks, Josh
I know it's easy to be scared over things like brown recluse spiders, but honestly it's not that big a deal. It wouldn't hurt to set off a couple of bug bombs in your house before you move in (make sure your closet doors are opened when you do that). And if you're going to store clothes in a dark, dank attic or closet for months on end, it wouldn't hurt to run them through the wash before putting them on.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,100,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post

The Bottom Line!
Thanks, Josh
I don't have any problem with them. I just toss a few fresh mealy worms into my mailbox right before I grab the day's letters. It distracts Harriet (I named her), and I am pretty fast, too.

I don't know for sure what I'll do when I get old and start slowing down. Might have to move to someplace safe, like Wisconsin.

Last edited by Eat; 04-29-2008 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,178,756 times
When I first moved here, I was concerned about Brown Recluse and Black Widows. Last year we sprayed for spiders and if I take a shirt off the closet shelf, I always shake it out first, just in case. But they don't enter my thoughts all that often.
Pam

Old 04-29-2008, 12:16 PM

32,644 posts, read 27,655,644 times
Not until now? LOL. The bug that is bugging me the most now is those darn TICKS. I have lost count of how many Ive removed from me the grandkids, kids and dogs. Ive treated the yard but dosent seem to help much.
Pam that is a good idea to shake out your clothes. I have been stung by wasps that have gotten into shirt sleves hanging in the closet. Wasps are pretty bad at my place already too.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:33 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,589,332 times
I spray around the foundation every two weeks. We have chickens and gineas loose for the rest. I try to keep the grass mowed real timely like.
I do believe the Tennesee game and fish will prosecute for the killing of most reptiles (state law) in the state. But from what I hear, you almost have to do it in front of the officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee