Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 PM

36 posts, read 52,857 times

Advertisements

Hi all. What is the deal with TN crime stats? We are looking to relocate and I am perplexed by the high numbers for TN, especially considering KY’s very low crime numbers next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 07:13 PM

720 posts, read 788,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydc View Post
Hi all. What is the deal with TN crime stats? We are looking to relocate and I am perplexed by the high numbers for TN, especially considering KY’s very low crime numbers next door.
Crime stats vary wildly from place to place. And Tennessee has some big cities (Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville) which skew crime stats for the rest of the state. Kentucky has just Louisville and to a lesser extent Lexington.

Tennessee also has some high tourist areas such as Gatlinburg. Crime stats are per capita, meaning per resident. So the crime stats of a small town like Gatlinburg which might have 5,000 permanent residents but has 8 million annual visitors gets slammed.

Also, not everywhere counts crime the same way. A home burglary that ends up as a murder might be counted as just one crime in some places (the murder) but two crimes in others (burglary and murder).

Where in Tennessee are you looking at?

Old 07-15-2020, 07:19 PM

East TN. Looking for a safe homesteading friendly county with few restrictions.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:17 PM

712 posts, read 1,479,317 times
I would suggest you search this site a bit, there are dozens of threads on the exact same thing. The basic idea is that in the rural areas, there are lots of drug crimes and domestic related crimes among people who know each other. Not many random acts of violence in these rural areas.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:18 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,482,450 times
We just returned from East Tennessee last week. Many of the communities are like going back in time. I find the people in the region to be nicer and friendlier than just about anywhere. They're especially quick to tell a joke and laugh.

I traveled East Tennessee for work for many years. I'd often see 5 gentlemen sitting around a pot belly stove reading the Knoxville newspaper and talking about University of Tennessee football while drinking coffee. Another customer had a big carport on the front of his business with some old couches where we'd just sit and watch the wind blow. No kidding.

Of all places I've visited, I would feel as safe in East Tennessee as anywhere.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:02 AM

34,814 posts, read 30,867,528 times
Agreed with jchometeam.

Crime is high, but it’s mostly repeated offenders, drug/domestic, and contained among people who know each other and are often known to law enforcement. Little to no random violent crime.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:04 PM

127 posts, read 139,189 times
Looking at several small communities such as Newport, Crossville and other areas that are far from being metropolises, it seems property crimes are VERY high. In speaking with residents and law enforcement, it seems the pill-billies (a term someone else used when speaking with me. I thought it's a great label) will steal anything they can make a quick buck on. I'm not the least bit worried about being assaulted or battered. I am very concerned that the moment I'm not on site to keep an eye on my possessions a low life will take advantage of my absence.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:42 PM

712 posts, read 1,479,317 times
Well you mentioned Newport, and I will say that Cocke County is unlike anywhere else. No way in the world that I would live there.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:45 AM

So even rural counties around Knoxville would have considerable crime issues?

Old 07-17-2020, 03:46 PM

29 posts, read 28,320 times
FBI stats for all the state https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee