Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 AM

529 posts, read 490,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubble17 View Post
Would prefer no or little snow and not hotter than 90s in the summer.
You might want to research what it can be like when it is in the 90's here. It is not a dry heat like where you are. With the higher humidity, 90's can be miserable if you are not use to it. Heck, it is even if you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 AM

21 posts, read 22,304 times
Thank you all for the information, it's so helpful! I've found out more through this one post than through days of researching online on my own.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:18 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Quote:
Hi!

We are looking to relocate to TN and are doing the research but nothing better than asking people who live there. We have a toddler and my in-laws who will be coming with us. Here are our criteria:

1. Pleasant climate: no harsh winters, sunny, summers not crazy hot
2. A growing city of 100,000+ min population
3. Business-friendly
4. Outdoors to explore
5. NO alligators please (I know they rarely attack humans, I just want to be completely comfortable around water and not have to think about it)
6. Is there a place that is tornado-safe?
7. Am I asking for too much?

Thank you in advance for your ideas!
#1 is a tough one. We moved to Knoxville in October of 1994 from SoCal. We picked Knoxville because of the mild winters. When we visited Knoxville for our exploratory trip, we did it in July so we could see just how hot and humid it was, and if we could tolerate it.
So our first winter here 1995 was a huge snow storm. We were snowed into our subdivision for a week. Icy roads, the works. I thought to myself that we had made a HUGE mistake, and my definition of mild was unlike anyone else's.
Well, it took about 20 years or so to have a repeat of that winter.
Typically it will snow, but its gone within a day.
The summer humidity can be a killer, especially if you are doing stuff outside.
#2 Like others have said, thats going to limit you to the 4-5 major metropolitan areas of the State.
#3 Not sure what you mean. There are some major corporations that have facilities in TN.
#4 Most of the State has something to offer. Knoxville has the SMNP.
#5 Only in zoos.
#6 While there certainly have been a few tornados, its not like the midwest. Its pretty tornado safe here.
#7 Asking too much is when someone wants a lake front property of several acres, with a log cabin, not in a sub division (no regulations), in the mountains, close to shopping, but away from the City, with good schools, a safe area, where their political/religious/social views are the same as the neighbors (but neighbors are not too close), close to xxxx (whatever business is their favorite where they currently live, but are not in Tennessee), and all this for less than $100K. THATS asking too much.

I suggest after you narrow it down a bit, to come and spend a week or so visiting the area.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:40 AM

Thanks so much! It's good to hear a perspective of a SoCal transplant. We've been actually looking at Knoxville. You moved and stayed and didn't return here so Knoxville must have more pros than cons over CA? It regularly gets to 98 degrees when we live now and sometimes into the 100s, but it's dry heat so I really wonder what difference the humidity makes. You're right, we won't know until we go. #3 What I mean is taxes and general attitude of the state towards business owners. You might think I'm exaggerating but in CA, if you have even a small business or own property, you are an evil capitalist and need to punished. I wish I was joking #7 Not asking for that! We are reasonable people who understand life is full of trade-offs. We'd be looking for a house, doesn't need to be bigger than 2,000 sf with a 1/2 acre lot min in a safe, clean neighborhood with access to schools, activities for children and general stores. Doesn't need to be by water. Hopefully not too far from some nice hiking.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,782,467 times
Quote:
Thanks so much! It's good to hear a perspective of a SoCal transplant. We've been actually looking at Knoxville. You moved and stayed and didn't return here so Knoxville must have more pros than cons over CA? It regularly gets to 98 degrees when we live now and sometimes into the 100s, but it's dry heat so I really wonder what difference the humidity makes. You're right, we won't know until we go. #3 What I mean is taxes and general attitude of the state towards business owners. You might think I'm exaggerating but in CA, if you have even a small business or own property, you are an evil capitalist and need to punished. I wish I was joking #7 Not asking for that! We are reasonable people who understand life is full of trade-offs. We'd be looking for a house, doesn't need to be bigger than 2,000 sf with a 1/2 acre lot min in a safe, clean neighborhood with access to schools, activities for children and general stores. Doesn't need to be by water. Hopefully not too far from some nice hiking.
Knoxville is a nice area and freeway close to other States and the Gulf and the east Coast if you want some beach. Live close to the Smokies and tornadoes will be a non issue as the hills and valleys brake them up. Try Seymour, Sevierville or similar as they are short drive to downtown Knoxville.

Nashville is also nice but more traffic and further from beaches for a quick vacation.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
You might want to research what it can be like when it is in the 90's here. It is not a dry heat like where you are. With the higher humidity, 90's can be miserable if you are not use to it. Heck, it is even if you are.
I hear you and there is probably no way to research it in theory without experiencing it. And you're right, we have dry heat here and it's manageable. So that's a bit discouraging to hear from the locals that the humidity is such a bother. I'm very much an outdoors person so I'd hate to be limited to staying in the house in the summer

Old 08-04-2020, 04:50 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Nashville is also nice but more traffic and further from beaches for a quick vacation.
The closest beach to Knoxville is Folly Beach SC which is 6 hours from Knoxville. The closest beach to Nashville is Pensacola FL which is 6.5 hours away. Not much difference.

In addition, the Nashville airport is much better for a quick vacation with nonstop flights to the following beach destinations:
  1. Burbank CA
  2. Cancun, Mexico (5 airlines)
  3. Charleston SC
  4. Cozumel, Mexico
  5. Destin FL
  6. Ft Lauderdale FL (3 airlines)
  7. Ft Myers FL (3 airlines)
  8. Grand Bahamas
  9. Gulfport MS
  10. Jacksonville FL
  11. Los Angeles CA (5 airlines)
  12. Miami FL (2 airlines)
  13. Montego Bay, Jamaica
  14. Myrtle Beach SC
  15. Orange County CA
  16. Panama City FL
  17. Pensacola FL
  18. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
  19. Punta Gorda FL
  20. San Diego CA
  21. Sarasota FL
  22. San Juan PR
  23. Savannah GA
  24. St Petersburg FL
  25. Tampa FL (3 airlines)
And while not typically thought of as beach destinations, there are flights to three other California airports: Oakland, San Jose, and San Francisco (2 airlines).

Here are the beach destinations from Knoxville's airport:
  1. Destin FL
  2. Ft Lauderdale FL
  3. Miami FL
  4. Myrtle Beach SC
  5. Punta Gorda FL
  6. Sarasota FL
  7. St Petersburg FL
  8. West Palm Beach FL

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-04-2020, 04:55 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
We are in the 90’s much of the summer. What adds to the misery is the high humidity and high dew points.

I lived in SoCal’s Low Desert area five years with my horses. 106 arid/dry degrees in SoCal is like sticking ones head ina 350 degree oven.

90+ degrees in Tennessee with a dew point of 63 and 80+ percent humidity (a feels like of ~101) is like an all day sauna if you’re only outside a couple of hours. And your clothes are soaked as if someone turned the water hose on you. <——-perspective from someone who is outside all the time.

Also, don’t buy a house without AC. I’ve been retired here for 17 years. The summers weren’t near as “Louisiana-style humid” 17 years ago, as they are now. Still-in-all, I’m not comin’ off this hill for anything

Old 08-05-2020, 10:26 AM

529 posts, read 490,972 times
Quote:
I hear you and there is probably no way to research it in theory without experiencing it. And you're right, we have dry heat here and it's manageable. So that's a bit discouraging to hear from the locals that the humidity is such a bother. I'm very much an outdoors person so I'd hate to be limited to staying in the house in the summer
I lived in the SoCal area for almost 40 years, and a lot of the time in the high desert, so I know what you are thinking. Best weather is along the coast, and gets "worse" as you go inland. Every place has "intolerable" weather, depending on the person. Yes it gets sticky here in the summer, but depending on where you are, at night it is pleasant. I live near Cookeville, it has been in the mid 60's at night for the last several days. Windows in the house wide open and fans going until about 9am.

Obviously, the only way for you to know is visit during the summer. The humidity really doesn't stop anyone here, or you just arrange for doing stuff more for the morning or night.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:40 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
If you're looking in Tennessee, Murfreesboro and Cookeville, followed by Chattanooga are probably the best mix of what you're looking for. Here's the thing, I wouldn't necessarily stick with a requirement of 100,000 city. The reason is there are a lot of smaller cities with excellent quality of life that are within a very short drive of Nashville, Chattanooga, or Knoxville. Probably the biggest issues from your list is most anywhere west of the mountains will experience tornadoes and summer heat/humidity in the 90s.

One place to consider is Asheville NC. It seems to check a lot of your boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee