U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2006, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,658 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody--

Just returned from a week's stay in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area and absolutely fell in love with it. It's so beautiful!

My husband and I have been contemplating a move south from NJ for quite some time. I'm a Jersey girl through and through, but we both have family in the south, as well as here. My mom and sis are in north Florida and my husband has a sister in Nashville. East TN would put us almost exactly at the halfway point between NJ and FL--only a day's drive in either direction.

I'm thinking about the Knoxville area (just from what I've been reading here) because I need to be near a city, and it's not far from the gorgeous area I just spent time in.

My husband works for Verizon up here in NJ. I understand that it's almost impossible to get a job in TN unless your company transfers you, but we don't know how far south Verizon goes. He's sure they're in Virginia, but he doesn't know if they're in TN or not.

He makes really good money with them up here (because it's union) but in NJ the money doesn't go very far. We're definitely ready for a lower cost of living, but we're aware our income would be less as well. No union down there, right? But still....I've been dreaming of a bigger house for years, and I can't believe the prices I saw in the TN real estate guides.

I'd appreciate any and all info about Verizon in TN or opportunities with whatever phone company is down there.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 06:19 PM

408 posts, read 1,904,340 times
Yes, Verizon is here too. I guess it depends on what your husband does as to whether his type of job is offered here. I saw on the Verizon site that Knoxville needs an Administrative Assistant and there are several retail store jobs (manager and assistant) listed in the Knoxville area as well as Johnson City. In Middle TN, I do believe the call center that opened up a couple of years ago is Verizon.
Cingular has a call center in Johnson City.
We have pretty much all your basic cell providers. As far as residential phones, BellSouth is the main one in Knoxville and Sprit/Embarq is the main one in the Tri-cities.
Jobs aren't that hard to get here in TN. Though sometimes that depends on the type of work one is seeking. And there are some unions here, but we are a right to work state so there are a lot of places that do not participate in unions.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:35 PM

31 posts, read 101,308 times
Jerseygrl my cousin works for verizon too in the central NJ and wants to get outta here too. If your talking about verizon wirless yes they are in TN but if its the regular the old bell telephone Im 98 percent sure they only go into Va. My cousin is a lineman he is also union and did a little looking into it. Im not sure what the nearest city is to Tn though...I live in central nj for 5 more days then Im moving to the tri-cities area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee