Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2020, 10:55 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times

Advertisements

Had a terrible experience with a family law attorney in Memphis area.

Retainer gone, of course. Contemplating reporting him to the Board.

I'm concerned though that, just to make our life difficult, he may sue us for some kind of ridiculous claim for "waisting his time".

Should we even mess with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 11:00 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post

I'm concerned though that, just to make our life difficult, he may sue us for some kind of ridiculous claim for "waisting his time".

Yes. I believe him suing you in response to a complaint would not good. But if you think it is legal malpractice look for a legal malpractice attorney who would do the board complaining on your behalf.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:25 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,637 times
This is probably the wrong board, but...

Quote:

What was the "terrible experience?" A terrible experience is not actionable and will likely be dismissed quite quickly from the Board. You need to have some sort of unethical conduct or malpractice, i.e. misappropriation of funds, missing a deadline.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:30 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times
Took 3 weeks to file paperwork in court due to a "death in his family", delaying my case which was supposed to be quick. In the meantime, I'm paying bills, rent and other things to the estranged now-ex.

Not responding to my emails, not enforcing deadlines with the opposing party. Dragged out the case because of his incompetence. Costed me thousands of dollars in expenses.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:23 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,637 times
Quote:
Took 3 weeks to file paperwork in court due to a "death in his family", delaying my case which was supposed to be quick. In the meantime, I'm paying bills, rent and other things to the estranged now-ex.

Not responding to my emails, not enforcing deadlines with the opposing party. Dragged out the case because of his incompetence. Costed me thousands of dollars in expenses.
If this was worthy of a bar complaint then I think every family lawyer would be dealing with bar complaints on almost daily basis. Reporting a lawyer over a 3 week delay in a divorce filing due a death is going to be a bad look. Sorry, I know it is a frustrating process, but I think you are more upset with it and the law. I think your time would be more well spent trying to write your legislator about divorce laws than a bar complaint about your divorce lawyer. If you owe him any outstanding fees, a bar complaint is probably a good way to get a collection suit soon as well.

The only thing worthy of potentially reporting is lack of communication, but it has to be much more egregious than I was dealing with planning and attending my father's funeral. Generally something like months at a time.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:13 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
MY gosh!!! Dealing with a death in the family? How dare he take time to deal with that? Possibly had to travel out of the area, and handle things with the death.
Is your name Karen by any chance???????

Old 09-14-2020, 06:02 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:

You want to report an attorney for this? Are you serious? Your attorney had a death in the family and you are upset that your case was delayed. I am absolutely flabbergasted.

The only thing remotely appropriate for this forum is that this occurred in Memphis. I just don't see how this is an on topic thread for this forum. And I really can't believe this complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: