Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,217 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone- I've been reading posts but this is my first. I could use some help!!! My family is looking to move to Tennessee (looks like we're not the only ones). We're SICK and TIRED of city life. I've always been a major country girl. My husband is an awesome high school football coach and we're wondering what East Tennessee is all about. We're looking for a "Bible-belt" smaller town, semi-rural, conservative, family oriented, with farm land and rolling hills around, where the Friday night football game is a town event and county fair is a big deal. Is a town like that still out there? Any recommendations? Any thoughts on football/jobs in TN? We'd like to be within an hour of a big city if possible.

Thanks so much for any help!
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
The football coach at William Blount High School, Blount County Schools in Maryville TN has just taken a one year leave of absence. You might want to check there. Coaching jobs around here are very difficult to come by. East Tennessee is very proud of their football programs.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
You might also put the towns around Nashville on your list. They have all the things you mentioned. You might also want to be just a little more flexible about the distance from a big city; say, an hour-and-a-half rather than an hour. That would give you quite a few more options.

I don't know how easy or how hard it is to get a head coaching position but I would guess it wouldn't be easy (it's a great job to have in a small town . . . especially if the team is winning). An assistant coaching position is probably more doable to start.

Last edited by alleycat; 05-02-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Greeneville, Erwin. Actually, too, nearly all of the high schools/cities in the Tri-Cities metro sound like what you might want. There are a lot of people here, but you can live in the country very easily, and the population is so very spread out it feels like more small town than it is. (Well, these days Johnson City's traffic at peak times is getting more harried, but, still...)

Old 05-02-2008, 10:27 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahendo View Post
Hey everyone- I've been reading posts but this is my first. I could use some help!!! My family is looking to move to Tennessee (looks like we're not the only ones). We're SICK and TIRED of city life. I've always been a major country girl. My husband is an awesome high school football coach and we're wondering what East Tennessee is all about. We're looking for a "Bible-belt" smaller town, semi-rural, conservative, family oriented, with farm land and rolling hills around, where the Friday night football game is a town event and county fair is a big deal. Is a town like that still out there? Any recommendations? Any thoughts on football/jobs in TN? We'd like to be within an hour of a big city if possible.

Thanks so much for any help!
Amy
As the others have mentioned, I think it'll be really difficult to get a job as a head football coach at a small-town high school. I think the biggest obstacle is the fact that you're not local. It seems that these small towns would rather have someone they already know, preferably an alumni from their school, as their football coach. I follow Tennessee high school football, and I honestly can't think of a public high school whose coach is NOT from around here. It REALLY helps to have deep connections to the community to be something like the football coach (who routinely makes more money than the school principal).

You might check some of the larger private schools since they often do national searches for teachers and coaches. Or, depending on your husband's experience, some of the area colleges.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:01 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,897 times
Whitwell has an open position outside of Chattanooga...

Marion County's Leading Online Community Information Source

Old 05-03-2008, 05:30 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
He might have to start out here as an Asst. Coach.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
As the others have mentioned, I think it'll be really difficult to get a job as a head football coach at a small-town high school. I think the biggest obstacle is the fact that you're not local. It seems that these small towns would rather have someone they already know, preferably an alumni from their school, as their football coach. I follow Tennessee high school football, and I honestly can't think of a public high school whose coach is NOT from around here. It REALLY helps to have deep connections to the community to be something like the football coach (who routinely makes more money than the school principal).

Hmm, it's possible, though. My head football coach had just moved up from Florida AND was in a mixed race marriage. Of course, I didn't grow up in the smallest of towns, but it was fairly small.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hmm, it's possible, though. My head football coach had just moved up from Florida AND was in a mixed race marriage. Of course, I didn't grow up in the smallest of towns, but it was fairly small.
That mixed race marriage is one thing but the Florida thing; well, that is a big strike against him! Kidding people, kidding!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:27 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I never said it was impossible, but it is certainly difficult to get a head coaching job at a public school around here if you're not from around here. I don't know what your high school is nor anything about the new coach, but I would be willing to bet that he didn't just show up one day at the school's front door with a resume in hand, but rather he probably already had some connections to the town. And if we were to do a survey of every public high school in Tennessee and see how many of them have head coaches who have no local connections, the number would be extremely small.

I could be wrong, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee