Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,522,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
1. Time to take the shovel out of the trunk of the car. Don’t think I’ll be digging myself out of the snow anywhere in Tennessee. I used my ice scraper once last year and that was the brush end, to brush the snow off my car. (Note: I’m retired. If you are outside at 6:00A or earlier, every morning in the winter, you may have a different take on this.)

]
I would make sure to have the shovel in your trunk if you are doing some traveling during the winter across the Cumberland Plateau or the Smoky Mountains. (The weather in those areas can be more unpredicatable) It can snow in those areas even in March sometimes. By the way, low temperatures can get as low as -22F out on the Cumberland Plateau. Many people don't realize that it does get very cold ocassionally in eastern areas of Tennessee.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:44 PM

7,531 posts, read 17,213,141 times
They shut down I-26 over the mountains around the Sam's Gap area two or three times this past season. Yep, if truly live in the remote areas (Viking Mtn, Black Mtn, up around Mtn City) you might really need that shovel!

Old 05-10-2008, 04:45 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,925,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I would make sure to have the shovel in your trunk if you are doing some traveling during the winter across the Cumberland Plateau or the Smoky Mountains. (The weather in those areas can be more unpredicatable) It can snow in those areas even in March sometimes. By the way, low temperatures can get as low as -22F out on the Cumberland Plateau. Many people don't realize that it does get very cold ocassionally in eastern areas of Tennessee.
Yes, the temperatures on the Cumberland Plateau can get as low as -22F, maybe once every 50 years. It's been some 25 years since the last time it was that cold on the Cumberland Plateau, and it stayed cold for about 3 days before warming back up to normal winter temperatures.

It's also been in the 70s in February on the Cumberland Plateau. So you never know!

Old 05-10-2008, 05:26 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,536,516 times
Thank you Laura for writing this. We have not moved there yet... will be there by October. But, I have spent much time in NETN and many extended vacations. I agree 100% with you (except the birds, I never noticed that they were fat until your pictures). I have been visting that area for over 30 years and always knew that one day it would be my home.
I can not wait till we are out of the military so we can get home to NETN. I have always said "I may have been TX born, but TN is my home." And finally it is comming true! Thank You again for your wonderful post.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,522,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes, the temperatures on the Cumberland Plateau can get as low as -22F, maybe once every 50 years. It's been some 25 years since the last time it was that cold on the Cumberland Plateau, and it stayed cold for about 3 days before warming back up to normal winter temperatures.

It's also been in the 70s in February on the Cumberland Plateau. So you never know!
It is true that it can be quite mild in the winter sometimes. I found the rural areas around Crossville to be very scenic with forested hills and scattered farms. I did notice that kudzu seems to be taking over a lot of the forests, though

Old 05-11-2008, 04:54 AM

849 posts, read 2,953,573 times
Hey, no one answered my other question. What is the bird in the last picture of LauraC's thread? It's got kind of a big beak...not a fluffy beak, a big beak. It looks like you don't want to make it angry.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 AM

37,791 posts, read 40,977,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
Hey, no one answered my other question. What is the bird in the last picture of LauraC's thread? It's got kind of a big beak...not a fluffy beak, a big beak. It looks like you don't want to make it angry.
I'm sorry I didn't ID it. It's just a male house sparrow. You can identify them by the brown near the eyes and the bib under the throat. The females look a lot different and both look altogether different than a song sparrow.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:54 AM

37,791 posts, read 40,977,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
My thing with the shovel was always having to dig out the car after the snow plow plowed you in. Last year, I didn't see enough snow for a plow but being retired, I don't have to go out if it snows, either.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:27 PM

849 posts, read 2,953,573 times
That's a sparrow? I've never seen one like it...

Nice pics.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 13,940 times
Awwwww....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee