U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 01:22 PM

20 posts, read 13,952 times

Advertisements

Okay,

I've read the reviews and seen many opinions. What I'd like to hear is from someone that has moved to eastern Tennessee, specifically east of Nashville or even east of Knoxville from the southwest USA. I used to live in Pittsburgh PA and moved to Denver many years ago. Since then we've moved to Flagstaff AZ. I am so tired of the desert. No green or water unless you like to look at pine trees and overcrowded forests. Still no water. I can't remember what horrible humidity and bugs were like since we moved from PA. We visited PA a few years ago in June and it was horrible. So humid I couldn't wait to get back inside to the AC.

So western transplants. What's your thought now that you have made the switch. I had a good job offer in Cookeville a couple a years ago and we didn't take the leap due to my wifes' salary would be drastically reduced. I see my company has posted another position in the same place and I'm reconsidering.

Lemme know what you think. Merry Christmas!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 08:07 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,855,672 times
Not a western transplant although I've lived in Texas and Arizona a long time ago. The humidity and bugs in the east are the tradeoff for the greenery and lushness of this region. I'd guess that the bugs are even worse in the Southeast than in Pittsburgh and points north just because of the longer warm seasons. I think you adapt a bit to the different climates if you can endure the transitional period. Assuming you accept the tradeoff, Tennessee is a nice place to be, not only for the climate. You don't get the snowstorms that places just a few hundred miles north will see frequently. Plus, you don't have the endless sweltering days of summer that you'll get farther south. Plus, the nights of late summer will noticeably start cooling to lend you relief. Then we also have something you don't have much (if any) out west, natural shade.

Regarding towns in Tennessee, you'll need to research the many offerings. Small to large in size. Proximity to larger cities and lakes, mountains, etc. Nashville is still at least 180 miles from Knoxville. So the area in between is somewhat sparsely populated. The 'largest' city would be Cookeville which is a little closer to Nashville than to Knoxville. It is something of a hub for that part of the state and serves smaller towns northward into Kentucky. It also has a midsize university (TTU) there. So is Putnam County close enough to a city for you? There's also Cumberland County, but that caters more to retirees. Lots of golf courses there. The terrain around those towns is stunning with everything you could imagine except for an ocean/beach.

I'd suggest you look at infrastructure too. With the university, Cookeville by far has the best grid and support network, including healthcare. Plus, it's only a little more than an hour to the Nashville airport via I-40.

You may not be making as much in Tennessee, but take into account that you won't be paying state income tax either. Plus, property taxes in TN tend to be much lower than other states. Also, I've found that other states have resorted to raising their sales taxes to the point that Tennessee's are not nearly as bad in comparison as they used to be. You'll be able to get a more granular view from some of the Cookeville/Crossville posters here.

I'll add one more option. If you want to go closer to a lake, the Tennessee River (TVA) system has a lot of fine lakes closer to Knoxville. Look at Roane, Loudon, McMinn and Anderson Counties. Towns there are smaller, but there are more of them to look at. Rockwood, Kingston, Lenoir City, even Oak Ridge.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:23 PM

Thank you SHINESTX. The job posting was in Cookeville but I see it's no longer listed on the board. We have visited the area a couple times. Rented an AirBnB near Morristown on Cherokee Lake in June a couple years ago. Then I was offered the position in Cookeville November 2018. It was cold and rainy almost every day for the week we were there. My company offered me the same salary I was accustomed to here in AZ so that was a no brainer. My wife on the other hand was floored that they would only offer $15 / hour for someone with her experience of over 35 years. I'd really like to get back to trees and water again but we've been away from PA since '92 and quite frankly can't remember much about the humidity other than our visit the summer of 2018. Wow was it ugly. I do remember working without AC and sweating horribly in PA when it was 90+ and 100% humidity. As a fixed wing VFR pilot I couldn't even take my airplane out to fly many days in the summer due to the lack of visibility because of humidity and haze. In any case I wish you well. Thanks for te response and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:01 AM

27,486 posts, read 24,605,924 times
I have never been to PA. I cant imagine the humidity is worse than TN.
So it hasn't changed since you visited a couple years ago in June. How was the humidity then? It gets worse as the summer progresses.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:12 PM

2Mares;
Perfect weather in mid / late June at Cherokee Lake. That's what drew my attention.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:34 PM

12,631 posts, read 35,285,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak860 View Post
2Mares;
Perfect weather in mid / late June at Cherokee Lake. That's what drew my attention.
The humidity gets much worse in July and then tapers off in August. I moved from Utah to Florida to Tennessee. I hated the dry climate of Utah, but the awful mugginess of Florida was just stifling. Tennessee (the eastern half at least) is a good compromise. July is about the only time of the year when I find the humidity to be fairly uncomfortable, but even then it's usually just in the daylight hours, and it's not every day. Coming directly from Florida, I find the humidity here to be very tame. If I had moved here directly from Utah, I might feel differently. I have friends from out west (Arizona, New Mexico, Utah) who live here (Cookeville) and love the weather, but there are others who find our dog days of summer to be too humid. That's usually when they make their annual trips back out west.

For what it's worth, I have a buddy who moved here last summer from Salt Lake, and while he didn't like the humidity at first, he loved that it was so lush and green here. And then he was dazzled by our fall colors even though they were a little off this year. He admitted that living in some humidity is a small price to pay for all this vegetation that grows without irrigation.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 12-17-2020 at 02:27 PM..

Old 12-18-2020, 11:57 AM

Thank you for the update JMT. I appreciate the information. I've had a couple of job opportunities in TN. Just now need to convince my spouse. She tends to be a mosquito magnet. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-19-2020, 06:48 AM

2,170 posts, read 961,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak860 View Post
Thank you for the update JMT. I appreciate the information. I've had a couple of job opportunities in TN. Just now need to convince my spouse. She tends to be a mosquito magnet. Merry Christmas!
Mosquitoes tend to prefer o type blood.

I know. They feast on me if I don't wear strong bug spray. Lol.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:16 AM

3,427 posts, read 2,685,811 times
Moved from Arkansas to Florida to Maryville, Tennessee.
The weather here is much better (less humidity) than Ark or Fla. It does get cold (is right now) but only for a few days then back into 50's or even 60's. I work at and live on a golf course and it is a very rare week I cannot play golf at least one day.
I live in a river valley so there are mosquitos not nearly as bad as Fla or even Ark.
Overall I enjoy it here and in the summer the Smokies are only a few minutes away and are a good place to escape the heat.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:13 AM

2,170 posts, read 961,258 times
I'm from western NY (like 10 miles from Canada on the shores of lake erie so it's surprisingly humid here in summer) and I visited sevierville in August last year, and sure it was noticeably hotter and more humid than august at home it wasnt unbearable and I wasn't even acclimated to the heat.

Compared to TN I thought it was noticeably more humid when I'm in the eastern NC and SC coastal plain. Like that gets steamy as heck in the summer. Temp wise it's probably only a Few degrees hotter than TN but the real feel is much more oppressive. The humidity on the southern coast is steamy hot.

Last edited by drinkthekoolaid; 12-19-2020 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Extra info typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee