U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 04:19 PM

104 posts, read 33,202 times

Advertisements

But thats how favourable states are. They attract people and due to demand prices hike up and makes real estate sky rocket. Everything goes up by supply demand.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-14-2021, 08:19 AM

40 posts, read 15,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossn2 View Post
Watch, with all those move-ins from other states, Real Estate pricing will escalate and locals in the areas will start complaining they can't afford housing..Happening in San Antonio, TX
I think the funnier thing is people who complain about taxes going up. I always find it hilarious all the people who move here for the reason of "lower taxes" and then, surprise surprise, the city has to eventually increase taxes(or utility companies increase bills) due to the increased load on the local infrastructure/ecosystem.

I definitely welcome and encourage all people to move here. I think it's great and Im really excited about the growing opportunities. Just don't move here and then complain about the areas growth afterwards lol.

Last edited by yellowcat123; 01-14-2021 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-14-2021, 10:23 AM

12,540 posts, read 34,998,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcat123 View Post
I think the funnier thing is people who complain about taxes going up. I always find it hilarious all the people who move here for the reason of "lower taxes" and then, surprise surprise, the city has to eventually increase taxes(or utility companies increase bills) due to the increased load on the local infrastructure/ecosystem.

I definitely welcome and encourage all people to move here. I think it's great and Im really excited about the growing opportunities. Just don't move here and then complain about the areas growth afterwards lol.
There is definitely some of that, but from my experience it seems that most of the people who move here aren't moving here just because it's cheaper; they do enjoy the kind of lifestyle we enjoy which includes the low taxes and, for the most part, greater freedom to do what you want on your own land. And it's just a beautiful place with pleasant weather and wonderful people. And looking at the cities specifically mentioned, these are attractive places that have reputations for being more progressive when it comes to growth (not progressive in the political sense).

I was listening to a radio show in Cookeville last night, and one of the things they mentioned is that Cookeville has a reputation of being very welcoming to "outsiders" and that local businesses, while in competition with each other, are also very cooperative with each other and are eager to see growth even from newcomers. Many, many places in Tennessee are not like that, and some are even resentful of newcomers and the increased competition that comes from new businesses particularly if they're "not from around here."

And let's not forget that this report is from U-Haul, so it suggests that these are people who have chosen to move here as opposed to moving here because of a corporate transfer (even though many of those probably want to move here, too). I think this is why Franklin is conspicuously absent from the list; I suspect most people moving to wealthy Williamson County either pay for professional movers themselves, or their employers pay for it. We'll get a clearer picture when the new Census figures are released, but this study does pretty much mirror what we see on city-data and in real life which is that the most popular destinations for do-it-yourself movers are, in alphabetical order, Clarksville, Cleveland, Cookeville, Johnson City, Knoxville, Maryville, Murfreesboro, and Nashville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 01-14-2021, 12:33 PM

41 posts, read 25,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
If that were to ever change (too drastically) we’ll be selling too and moving on.
Where would you move to that would be a better alternative?

Old 01-14-2021, 01:03 PM

40 posts, read 15,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There is definitely some of that, but from my experience it seems that most of the people who move here aren't moving here just because it's cheaper; they do enjoy the kind of lifestyle we enjoy which includes the low taxes and, for the most part, greater freedom to do what you want on your own land. And it's just a beautiful place with pleasant weather and wonderful people. And looking at the cities specifically mentioned, these are attractive places that have reputations for being more progressive when it comes to growth (not progressive in the political sense).

I was listening to a radio show in Cookeville last night, and one of the things they mentioned is that Cookeville has a reputation of being very welcoming to "outsiders" and that local businesses, while in competition with each other, are also very cooperative with each other and are eager to see growth even from newcomers. Many, many places in Tennessee are not like that, and some are even resentful of newcomers and the increased competition that comes from new businesses particularly if they're "not from around here."

And let's not forget that this report is from U-Haul, so it suggests that these are people who have chosen to move here as opposed to moving here because of a corporate transfer (even though many of those probably want to move here, too). I think this is why Franklin is conspicuously absent from the list; I suspect most people moving to wealthy Williamson County either pay for professional movers themselves, or their employers pay for it. We'll get a clearer picture when the new Census figures are released, but this study does pretty much mirror what we see on city-data and in real life which is that the most popular destinations for do-it-yourself movers are, in alphabetical order, Clarksville, Cleveland, Cookeville, Johnson City, Knoxville, Maryville, Murfreesboro, and Nashville.
All great points that I wholeheartedly agree with

Old 01-14-2021, 01:04 PM

747 posts, read 368,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
Where would you move to that would be a better alternative?
Our crystal ball is out of AA batteries so we wouldn’t know until that moment were to arrive. Lol.

But seriously, there are lots of beautiful areas of the country and world to consider calling home, with Tennessee being just one of them. That’s the beauty of making decisions in life - they’re dynamic to your needs at the moment but can change as your needs and perception change over time.

Nothing is static in life as decisions are made as needed. We’d know the when and where if that were to ever happen ... at that moment and not now.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-14-2021 at 01:37 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 01:21 PM

747 posts, read 368,119 times
We’re actually looking at areas of Spain, France and Portugal now to have a comparison. Also considering parts of Germany too.

FWIW there’s just too many unhinged sheep here in the states these days to make sense of anything anymore (we elected a reality star to run our country after all) so a new cultural perspective looks to be good for the soul.

Trying to put together a trip for this summer, and do a section of the Camino De Santiago pilgrimage while there too.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-14-2021 at 01:49 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 04:17 PM

Best of luck with that.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:22 AM

8,079 posts, read 8,586,796 times
Tennessee has been a beacon of freedom and semi normalcy from the lockdowns of the North and the West. We take for granted that we still can come out of our houses, visit friends, go shopping and eat in restaurants and pubs. These are simple pleasures of life that some blue state residents have not been able to do for 10 months! There have been national news pieces out there on the relative freedom that still exists in the South and Tennessee has been highlighted as one of the freest of those southern states. The whole country pretty much knows that we have forgone lockdowns and mandates and that has gotten us a lot of attention. We have become a destination for people trying to escape Newsomes California or Whitmire’s Michigan and Cuomo’s New York. I have some family in Michigan and I have heard some real horror stories. That place was already economically fragile and now they have essentially been shutdown for 10 months. When the sun shines on that sad place again there will be not much left but mass poverty. It is a 600 mile ride for those poor souls to escape that place. New York and California are further away and that may temper the numbers coming from those places. The dying industrial Midwest will be where most of our inbounds will come from, especially Michigan and Illinois.

I think we have just seen the beginning of the exodus from the blue state north. As our country continues to implode we will see a lot more of it. While I have great sympathy for those stuck in such places we cannot take them all in. In too many numbers they will ruin what they came here for. Look what they did to Georgia.....that will soon be as bad as New Jersey as far as freedom goes.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:21 AM

In Canada everything is closed and we are in state of emergency. I dont call it a freedom going out to pubs and restaurants in pandemic. Its negligence and ignorance.
People are literally dying.
I know its not an ideal scenario but we all should be responsible and i dont blame our government to take stricter rules. Everyone wants this to be over but we need to do our part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee