U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 10:52 PM

104 posts, read 33,202 times

Advertisements

I was just giving my point of view about how people should take pandemic seriously. Its not about any specific state or country. Just common sense.
Toronto or Nashville people are almost same every where. Some listen to authorities and some dont
Rate this post positively

Old 01-16-2021, 12:13 AM

747 posts, read 368,119 times
Here’s a reality check for all of the unknowing “out of town” types seeking refuge in Nashville from other areas.

Once you land in the area spend a few evenings hitting any of the popular areas throughout the city or downtown (like the 2nd Ave strip, Broadway near Hattie B’s, The Row and such) and see how many folks are wearing masks.

Even try the mall butting up to the Grand Ole Opry (Opry Mills) and see how people there are resistant to wearing masks too. Try spreading some “common sense” wisdom to the folks there and see what that gets you.

There may be a few police officers here and there handing out masks to people out on the streets, but most EVERYONE on the inside of ANY establishment, bar or resturaunt will be 90+ percent mask free, so how are you going to deal with that reality?

So if I were you I’d stop thinking moving to Nashville will insulate you from how folks in the region view Covid-19, as you will be highly disappointed when coming here.

We’ve spent enough time hanging out and partying in Nashville to know better of what you wish (most recently a few weeks before the bombing) so good luck with that.

We will agree that people in Nashville are really cool as is the city itself, but thinking it will be a completely different world than the surrounding area is wishful thinking at best.

Again, good luck.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-16-2021 at 12:38 AM..

Old 01-16-2021, 12:14 AM

40 posts, read 15,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
My only response is that maybe things are different around Nashville, but leave the confines of the city and try to “instill some common sense” to those on this side of the state and see how that works out.
Can't argue with you there. Turning up fresh to a new place and trying to tell people they're living wrong and to act a different way will not make somebody many friends.. anywhere

Old 01-16-2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcat123 View Post
Can't argue with you there. Turning up fresh to a new place and trying to tell people they're living wrong and to act a different way will not make somebody many friends.. anywhere
I’m not trying to argue with anyone as I truly have no reason to do so. If I were moving to Canada I’d show up with my bags and a smile on my face, an open mind and be ready to blend in and embrace the Canadian culture.

Baffles me as to why folks from other areas think we need another opinion of what’s right and wrong here in regards to Covid or our individual choices and freedoms.

I’d personally welcome anyone coming to the area who wants to blend in and be a great neighbor. Last thing I want though is a stranger showing up and calling me ignorant or anything other than the good member of the community that we try to be.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-16-2021 at 12:59 AM..

Old 01-16-2021, 12:57 AM

8,079 posts, read 8,586,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian2021 View Post
In Canada everything is closed and we are in state of emergency. I dont call it a freedom going out to pubs and restaurants in pandemic. Its negligence and ignorance.
People are literally dying.
I know its not an ideal scenario but we all should be responsible and i dont blame our government to take stricter rules. Everyone wants this to be over but we need to do our part
I am going to try and say this as respectfully as possible so I do not look unwelcoming. Tennessee does welcome our friends from the land of Molson beer and hockey but we are somewhat different from y’all in our political philosophy. In Canada the “greater good” takes a central role in the political culture of the country. This is also true in much of the northern United States to a lesser degree. In the southern United States, especially here in Tennessee the central political philosophy is individualism and personal liberties. Personal freedom is take very seriously here. You think because we are still living our lives that we are not taking the virus seriously. You are wrong. We know it is dangerous to some people. What is different about us is that we have chosen to take the risk in order to protect our rights and our economy. Many people here take the position that those who are very vulnerable should consider isolating themselves but the rest of us have the right to live our lives. Those who feel unsafe by all means have the right to “stay home and stay safe”. Most of us have come to the conclusion that freedom is more valuable than safety.

I realize you may not agree with this and I have heard many Canadians be highly critical or even condescending towards us for our position on individual liberties. Our gun laws are the most famously example of this but these Covid policies have also become another example. Canada has chosen a different path than the US. Each state has its own policy. You know find yourself in one of the most conservative states in the US. We are definitely different from what you saw in Canada. If you want to get along here you will at least have to be respectful of our ways since you are the one who moved here. If you really see us as “negligent and ignorant “ then I would suggest that you return to Canada or look for a northern US state to reside in. Living in a place so opposed to your way of thinking would make you miserable and to be honest we are not looking to be enlightened or educated by someone who moved here with another story of “well up north we did it this way”. This is Tennessee and we do things the Tennessee way. You will find we do welcome you here but please be respectful of our state and culture.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:03 AM

44 posts, read 73,183 times
Chiming in to say that we just moved to TN this year from WI - settled in the Cookeville/Crossville area after visiting and somewhat house-hunting since 2013. You know what we want to 'change' about Tennessee? Absolutely nothing. It's a perfect fit for us and we knew that 7 years ago. We're rural, have wonderful neighbors (acres away) and love the fact that those that feel the need to wear a mask do so, and leave the rest of us alone.

Everyone is friendly, welcoming and our home will definitely be our forever place. We love everything about Tennessee and are thankful that we can call this wonderful state home.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am going to try and say this as respectfully as possible so I do not look unwelcoming. Tennessee does welcome our friends from the land of Molson beer and hockey but we are somewhat different from y’all in our political philosophy. In Canada the “greater good” takes a central role in the political culture of the country. This is also true in much of the northern United States to a lesser degree. In the southern United States, especially here in Tennessee the central political philosophy is individualism and personal liberties. Personal freedom is take very seriously here. You think because we are still living our lives that we are not taking the virus seriously. You are wrong. We know it is dangerous to some people. What is different about us is that we have chosen to take the risk in order to protect our rights and our economy. Many people here take the position that those who are very vulnerable should consider isolating themselves but the rest of us have the right to live our lives. Those who feel unsafe by all means have the right to “stay home and stay safe”. Most of us have come to the conclusion that freedom is more valuable than safety.

I realize you may not agree with this and I have heard many Canadians be highly critical or even condescending towards us for our position on individual liberties. Our gun laws are the most famously example of this but these Covid policies have also become another example. Canada has chosen a different path than the US. Each state has its own policy. You know find yourself in one of the most conservative states in the US. We are definitely different from what you saw in Canada. If you want to get along here you will at least have to be respectful of our ways since you are the one who moved here. If you really see us as “negligent and ignorant “ then I would suggest that you return to Canada or look for a northern US state to reside in. Living in a place so opposed to your way of thinking would make you miserable and to be honest we are not looking to be enlightened or educated by someone who moved here with another story of “well up north we did it this way”. This is Tennessee and we do things the Tennessee way. You will find we do welcome you here but please be respectful of our state and culture.
+1 and thank you for your considerate post and approach to the conversation, which can sometimes become heated when talking about the individual freedoms that Tennesseans hold close to themselves. Beat wishes.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-16-2021 at 01:39 AM..

Old 01-16-2021, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaloo View Post
Chiming in to say that we just moved to TN this year from WI - settled in the Cookeville/Crossville area after visiting and somewhat house-hunting since 2013. You know what we want to 'change' about Tennessee? Absolutely nothing. It's a perfect fit for us and we knew that 7 years ago. We're rural, have wonderful neighbors (acres away) and love the fact that those that feel the need to wear a mask do so, and leave the rest of us alone.

Everyone is friendly, welcoming and our home will definitely be our forever place. We love everything about Tennessee and are thankful that we can call this wonderful state home.
We couldn’t agree more, and want nothing more but for nothing to change. Living here in TN has been an eye opener as to how neighbors and those in our community are supposed to be and treat each other.

We will be proud Tennessee residents forever and our family has found our forever home here.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:45 AM

16,969 posts, read 16,557,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

Well said!

Old 01-16-2021, 08:48 AM

16,969 posts, read 16,557,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
We couldn’t agree more, and want nothing more but for nothing to change. Living here in TN has been an eye opener as to how neighbors and those in our community are supposed to be and treat each other.

We will be proud Tennessee residents forever and our family has found our forever home here.
My wife and I fled NJ in '19 and are outside of Maryville.

We moved to get away from NJ, not drag it with us and try to inflict it on our new neighbors. We love it here.

I tell people that we're refugees, not missionaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee