Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 09:26 PM

35 posts, read 78,268 times

Advertisements

My husband are I are considering retirement in TN. We are in our mid 50's. We'd like to make a trip next year to explore some options and hoping you might suggest some options. We're looking for:

Smaller, quaint/historic town with good economy.
Close to fishing, hunting, and golf.
Not a huge drive to a major airport and good medical facilities.
No snow, or very little snow.
Not coastal.
Safe.
We would be looking for a home $400k or less.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 05:49 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
I would suggest you look at the Maryville, Tn area for starters and then maybe expand from there. Close to the Knoxville airport. Close to the Smokies. Plenty of golf in the area. Plenty of streams and lakes for fishing.

You might also want to check out Tellico Village. Several neighborhoods on Tellico Lake. 3 golf courses.

A little higher end is Rarity Bay. I guess you could buy there for $400K. That money would get you a pretty nice home in TV.

Lenoir City and Oak Ridge are nice as well. If you are a die hard bass fisherman you should look closer to Chattanooga to be near to Chickamauga or a little further north to be near Watts Bar lake.

Honestly there is so much good fishing water in Tennessee you have many good choices.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:08 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress4 View Post
My husband are I are considering retirement in TN. We are in our mid 50's. We'd like to make a trip next year to explore some options and hoping you might suggest some options. We're looking for:

Smaller, quaint/historic town with good economy.
Close to fishing, hunting, and golf.
Not a huge drive to a major airport and good medical facilities.
No snow, or very little snow.
Not coastal.
Safe.
We would be looking for a home $400k or less.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I guess it depends on what you mean by "major airport." To me and most people who travel a lot, the only major airport in Tennessee is Nashville, and maybe Memphis. The airports in Knoxville, Chattanooga, and the Tri Cities are tiny with very few destinations and high fares. When I lived in Knoxville I routinely drove to Nashville to take advantage of the airport. You'll see lots of Knox County license plates in the Nashville airport parking garages.

Check out Cookeville. It's an hour from the Nashville airport, has a booming economy, very quaint and historic downtown, and it's surrounded by incredible beauty: 100 waterfalls, 1200 miles of lakeshore, and a dozen state parks and a national recreation area within 40 minutes of town. It averages 7-8 inches of snow per year, spread out among 2-3 snowfalls that average just an inch or two each. Usually melted within a couple of days. Large regional hospital that's affiliated with Nashville's Vanderbilt Medical Center, one of the top hospitals in the country.

For less than $400k you can live very comfortably. You can even live right on several golf courses in Cookeville for that. Here's a sampling of homes on golf courses that have recently sold in Cookeville to give you an idea what I'm talking about:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41989104_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41989175_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...55693953_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41988497_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...90081190_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...8801763_zpid/?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 10-09-2020 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-09-2020, 09:32 AM

367 posts, read 584,749 times
Winchester or Tullahoma might be worth a look.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:54 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Winchester or Tullahoma might be worth a look.
That would put you in the Tim’s Ford Lake area. Great fishing there.

Golfing is not my thing but I’m sure they have a golf course as expensive as some areas of the lake are to live.

https://www.timsfordmarina.com/

Last edited by JMT; 10-09-2020 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Linking to realtor websites is not allowed.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:54 AM

230 posts, read 189,387 times
Fairfield Glade is a resort style retirement community located in between Nashville and Knoxville. There are lots of posts about it on the forum. Check it out. I moved here from Wisconsin a year ago and just love it.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:06 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingupnorth View Post
Fairfield Glade is a resort style retirement community located in between Nashville and Knoxville. There are lots of posts about it on the forum. Check it out. I moved here from Wisconsin a year ago and just love it.
This is not a good suggestion. The OP asked for a quaint/historic town. FFG was developed in the 1970s and is neither quaint nor historic. The OP also asked for little to no snow. FFG averages 13 inches of snow per year. FFG is also much more than an hour from the Nashville airport.

Last edited by JMT; 10-10-2020 at 06:40 PM..

Old 10-11-2020, 06:32 AM

230 posts, read 189,387 times
FFG may not be quaint or historic but it has many features that far outweigh that. I consider the 90 minute drive to Nashville to be within the definition of a "close" airport. I am sorry you do not.

The statistics located here https://weatherspark.com/y/15734/Ave...tes-Year-Round would tend to show that snowfall is minimal in FFG. The most we ever got last winter was an inch and it was gone by noon. We play golf all year round as long as the temperature is above 50 and there aren't too many days that is not the case.

Everyday here you have the feeling that you are on the first day of a vacation. You can't beat that. So I will continue to promote my home when ever I can. It is up to the OP to decide if we are worth a visit.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:12 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,598,364 times
Jonesborough

Old 10-15-2020, 08:59 AM

53 posts, read 72,212 times
Might want to look at Perry County (SW of Nashville), towns of Lobelville, Linden (1000 people), Parsons all off the TN Scenic Highway 412. There's three or four Golf Courses from Hohenwald west to Parsons along 412. maybe 3.4 inches of snow per year. And, some pretty historic towns..
And, you have the TN River and Buffalo Rivers close by along with the historic Natchez Trace..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee