Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2024, 11:48 PM

11,403 posts, read 5,960,793 times

Advertisements

Knoxville is growing by leaps and bounds and NO Hattie B's. I either have to drive 3 hours to Nashville or 3 hours to Atlanta. Sheesh!

You would think Hattie B's would have a store in Knoxville by now. I would even settle for Gatlinburg, which is an easy 90 minutes away and lots to do.

I tried Myrtles Chicken and IMHO it just does not compare to Hattie B's. Not even close.

I was told to try Prince's.

Drat you Hattie B's. There is even not only one but two -- count 'em two Buc-ees an hour either side of Knoxville. If Buc-ees can do it, then Hattie B's can do it!

I just can't bring myself to drive 6 hours round trip for a meal. I am so depressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 01:05 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
While we're here, what am I missing about Hattie B's?

A friend took us there when we were in Nashville, and I just wasn't wowed. The chicken was hot, but it had no real flavor. Or maybe we didn't order what other people get. Our friend ordered ahead of time and we went to pick it up. It was a grilled bone-in leg quarter, black with spices, sitting on top a slice of white bread.

I never saw the menu so I don't know what else they have to offer, but what I wanted was some down-home southern fried chicken with some heat.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:24 PM

It is all about the heat, baby! The heat! And the freshness, in my humble opinion. I like the 2nd highest heat level. They also give me lots of extra pickles when I ask for them.

If something doesn't WOW you, then it just doesn't.

I guess we just like what we like. A lot of people have voted with their wallet and like Hattie Bs. I can't find similar here in Knoxville and a 3 hour drive for lunch is something I would do in my 20s. Not so much in my 60s.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 03-06-2024 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-07-2024, 07:24 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
3 hour drive for lunch is something I would do in my 20s. Not so much in my 60s.

I get it! My favorite food from back home is a Camel Rider, and I'm not willing to drive 3 hours to get it, either. But luckily I come back to the area every now and then, so I can get my fix. They don't make them anywhere else.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:45 PM

I had Prince's Chicken today on Broadway Ave in north Knoxville.

I got my fix but I still prefer Hattie B's. You asked what is the big deal.

First, the heat. I had the 2nd hottest level Prince's offers on my chicken tenders. XX Hot. XXX Hot is the same but just more stuff. Princes XX Hot (the 2nd hottest they offer) is not as hot as Hattie B's "Damn Hot" (their 2nd hottest.

Prince's made my nose run and my eyes watered a bit.

Hattie B's made me sweat and suck wind quite a bit. Prince's just is not as hot as Hattie B's. I like it hot.

Second, the mix.

I had to look it up but Prince's uses a rub or mix while Hattie B's uses a spiced oil.

The mix on top of the Prince's chicen seems just a little bit chalky or gritty. Well, gritty is too extreme a word but you can really feel the pile of fine spices on Prince's and sometimes you get a mouthful. Not that it is hot, but it is not chicken.

Since Hattie B's uses an oil, I don't get any of that undesirable mouthful of fine spices like at Prince's.

So Prince's is an OK second choice but it is no Hattie B's. If I go to Prince's again, I might get the top level which is XXX Hot, but if that just means a bigger mouthful of that fine powdery sandy coating stuff, then I would prefer not.

Here is just wishing Hattie B's would open a store in Knoxville, Gatlinburg, or Sevierville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee