Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 03:51 PM

266 posts, read 235,768 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to learn that these lakes in central Tennessee are man made! I had assumed they were natural.

Just curious about this really. Why doesn't TN have natural lakes? In terms of people who want to go and enjoy these lakes--living on the lake, fishing, or just going for a picnic and a look--how do these man made lakes compare to natural ones?

Feel free to share any thoughts on your favorite or most hated TN lakes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 08:30 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Most of the lakes are man-made for two reasons: hydroelectric power and flood control (see: TVA).

One natural lake that does exist is in the NW corner of the state, Reelfoot Lake. It was formed by the 1811-12 New Madrid earthquakes.

I can't think of any other sizable natural lakes in the state.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:33 AM

206 posts, read 184,525 times
Oh i didnt know that. I thought they were natural lakes

Old 05-11-2021, 08:10 AM

3,039 posts, read 3,308,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
I was surprised to learn that these lakes in central Tennessee are man made! I had assumed they were natural.

Just curious about this really. Why doesn't TN have natural lakes? In terms of people who want to go and enjoy these lakes--living on the lake, fishing, or just going for a picnic and a look--how do these man made lakes compare to natural ones?

Feel free to share any thoughts on your favorite or most hated TN lakes!!
Most TN lakes were created by TVA when they put dams in Cumberland and Tennessee rivers. The dams are there to provide some flood control, navigation for barges, hydroelectric power. Some of the lakes may provide drinking water for their communities. Lake Radnor was created by the L&N railroad to make a supply of water for their steam engines. Raccoon Mountain is a lake where water is pumped up during the day then released at night to produce electricity.

Since the TVA owns most of the lake property, there is no way to live on the lake. There are some marinas & other business on the lake. Many can be used as a daytrip for boating, fishing, etc. There can be lakefront parks for boat ramp access, camping, picnics, recreation. The Land Between the Lakes in TN & KY is a large national wildlife area.

Reelfoot Lake was formed from the 1811 New Madrid earthquake. It may have been formed by a one time channel of the Mississippi River. (There is a bit of KY in IN near Evansville for the same reason). There may be some other loops in the Mississippi south from Reelfoot into Memphis that could be "lakes".

Main difference from "natural lakes" may be having lake levels somewhat controlled by TVA. In wet years have plenty of water to provide cheap energy. Size of the lake may determine how rough it can be in bad weather. TWRA controls whatever fish & other critters live there.

Reelfoot lake can be cool in winter months to have a number of bald eagles spend the winter there. Some will build nests & have eaglets.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:04 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
The only ways a "natural" lake can form are:
  • Glaciers dig out a basin which fills with water (no glaciers here)
  • An avalanche or glacial till blocks a valley with a natural dam (I don't know of any)
  • A turbulent river carves out a basin upstream from a bottleneck or hard ridge, but these are usually small and not really "lakes". Lula "Lake" is near Chattanooga, but it's in Georgia.
  • An area of land subsides and fills with water (Reelfoot has already been mentioned).
  • An "oxbow" lake forms when a large meandering river changes course. Lots of these near the MS River.
  • A lake can form from a depressed region without an outlet (think Great Salt Lake in Utah, or the Salton Sea in CA). Eastern TN has lots of these areas, but our bedrock is soluble (karst) so they all drained into sinkholes centuries ago.

So other than oxbows along the MS river and Reelfoot, the only large lakes in TN are man-made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Raccoon Mountain is a lake where water is pumped up during the day then released at night to produce electricity.
It's the opposite. Water is pumped up at night when electricity demands are lower (factories and office buildings shut down, air conditioners aren't running as much, etc.), then released to generate electricity at night.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 05-11-2021 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Most TN lakes were created by TVA when they put dams in Cumberland and Tennessee rivers. The dams are there to provide some flood control, navigation for barges, hydroelectric power. Some of the lakes may provide drinking water for their communities. Lake Radnor was created by the L&N railroad to make a supply of water for their steam engines. Raccoon Mountain is a lake where water is pumped up during the day then released at night to produce electricity.

Since the TVA owns most of the lake property, there is no way to live on the lake. There are some marinas & other business on the lake. Many can be used as a daytrip for boating, fishing, etc. There can be lakefront parks for boat ramp access, camping, picnics, recreation. The Land Between the Lakes in TN & KY is a large national wildlife area.

Reelfoot Lake was formed from the 1811 New Madrid earthquake. It may have been formed by a one time channel of the Mississippi River. (There is a bit of KY in IN near Evansville for the same reason). There may be some other loops in the Mississippi south from Reelfoot into Memphis that could be "lakes".

Main difference from "natural lakes" may be having lake levels somewhat controlled by TVA. In wet years have plenty of water to provide cheap energy. Size of the lake may determine how rough it can be in bad weather. TWRA controls whatever fish & other critters live there.

Reelfoot lake can be cool in winter months to have a number of bald eagles spend the winter there. Some will build nests & have eaglets.

Why on earth does TVA own all the prime lake front property? Do they have plans to sell it or let normal people take it? It seems to me they are absolutely stunting the growth of TN in an unnatural way and actively preventing Tennesseeans from being happy.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:22 PM

An Einn, thanks for the response! That geology stuff is interesting. I guess this predicts way more lakes in the North, and way less in the South, which I guess is what we have. I just drove by Lake Erie, really pretty place.

This Raccoon Lake is kind of crazy, so they must lose electricity if they are pumping it up during the day only to harvest it at night? Is this a way to turn excess solar power during the day into night time hydro?

Old 05-12-2021, 04:19 AM

902 posts, read 807,693 times
Quote:
Why on earth does TVA own all the prime lake front property? Do they have plans to sell it or let normal people take it? It seems to me they are absolutely stunting the growth of TN in an unnatural way and actively preventing Tennesseeans from being happy.
Love that they do this and applaud TVA. Need less developers and people coming here to build along our waterfronts and mountain peaks.

It’s what keeps the state beautiful and preserves areas for outdoor recreation, not to mention the aesthetics of looking around and seeing nature and not the McMansions of those living / retiring from outside of the area.

That’s what that hot mess of an area in nearby Asheville, North Carolina is for. Every peak there has an ugly house or subdivision on it, and the waterways there are polluted and getting worse year over year.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 05-12-2021 at 04:31 AM..

Old 05-12-2021, 04:39 AM

186 posts, read 283,150 times
Quote:
Your comments are amusing and perplexing at the same time. First, TVA doesn't own "all" the lake front lots and there are plenty of lake front properties for sale. Second, regarding your "stunting the growth" part. What are you talking about? Thanks to TVA, power is relatively cheap in this part of the country. The dams and flood control mechanisms have saved countless lives over the decades. In fact, it's the very "natural" rivers and creeks that tend to flood and wreak the most havoc after heavy rain. Finally, let's not forget about the recreational opportunities created by these impounded large bodies of water like boating enjoyed by thousands of residents every day. Thanks for your grave concern but we are quite happy and don't see or feel it as "unnatural".

Old 05-12-2021, 04:58 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
The only ways a "natural" lake can form are:
  • Glaciers dig out a basin which fills with water (no glaciers here)
  • An avalanche or glacial till blocks a valley with a natural dam (I don't know of any)
  • A turbulent river carves out a basin upstream from a bottleneck or hard ridge, but these are usually small and not really "lakes". Lula "Lake" is near Chattanooga, but it's in Georgia.
  • An area of land subsides and fills with water (Reelfoot has already been mentioned).
  • An "oxbow" lake forms when a large meandering river changes course. Lots of these near the MS River.
  • A lake can form from a depressed region without an outlet (think Great Salt Lake in Utah, or the Salton Sea in CA). Eastern TN has lots of these areas, but our bedrock is soluble (karst) so they all drained into sinkholes centuries ago.

So other than oxbows along the MS river and Reelfoot, the only large lakes in TN are man-made.

It's the opposite. Water is pumped up at night when electricity demands are lower (factories and office buildings shut down, air conditioners aren't running as much, etc.), then released to generate electricity at night.
The electricity is generated during DAYTIME hours when use is greater. The water is pumped back at night.

There are 'pump back' lakes in Oklahoma where I grew up too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee