Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:30 AM

660 posts, read 2,440,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
For $650/month you could probably rent a mansion in Gainesboro! I don't think you'd have any problems at all finding a clean, comfortable place in Jackson County (Gainesboro) for less--a LOT less--than $650/month.
wow lol thanks thats great it sounds like a nice place from what that lady said about how everybody knowsyou and stuff
would i be able to get a job in a bar or diner or would i have to travel to a bigger town if so which would that be
thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 07:33 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
wow lol thanks thats great it sounds like a nice place from what that lady said about how everybody knowsyou and stuff
would i be able to get a job in a bar or diner or would i have to travel to a bigger town if so which would that be
thanks again
There are a few diners in Gainesboro, but I think most people in Gainesboro drive the 10-15 miles into Cookeville to work.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There are a few diners in Gainesboro, but I think most people in Gainesboro drive the 10-15 miles into Cookeville to work.
i guess so ,thats not such a bad drive

Old 02-02-2007, 08:00 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
i guess so ,thats not such a bad drive
It's not a bad drive at all, the highways are good, and the scenery is beautiful.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
It's not a bad drive at all, the highways are good, and the scenery is beautiful.
cause its a small town whats suitable dress there and what are the people like
and is there anything secial that i have to do to become a tennessee resident
and what kind of stuff is there to do for kids any fun town events

Old 02-05-2007, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,234 times
Hi, I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. Gainesboro is a laid back little town and the whole town closes down on Wednesday. I really never figured out why. I moved here form Cookevillle 17 yrs ago. Jobs are hard to find but I think the nursing home is always hiring. There is a factory run by the Japanese called Ansei and Neilsen Bainbridge is usually hiring. My Daughter works in cookeville but it is only around 17 miles to from here with really good roads and it takes 20 minutes. The kids never complain about school so it must be ok. The people are wonderul and whithin 2 weeks I knew everyone in town. The Anderson Haile drug store is a gathering place also and has wonderful ice cream cones, all the older folks hang out there and eat burgers and talk also. Benton quarles will open the drugstore at midnight if you need medicine. They have a Poke sallet
festival every year that draws a big crowd from surrounding countys with live music, horse and buggy rides, outhouse races, carnival and crafts. Theres not much for kids but they all go to movies, bowling, and such in cookeville. My Grandchildren play baseball, football, cheerleading,and basketball. You can wear anything you want from dress up to rags and no one cares.

I forgot to add, I pay 200.00 a month for a small white house in town with 2 bd/1 bath , carport with a creek running behind it. My daughter lives next door and pays 300.00 a month for bigger 2 bd and my son-in -law lives behind me in a 3 bd cabin and pays 250.00 a month. I think the highest rent here is a brick house 3bd with basement for 400.00 a month. There is great fishing within 2 miles, Jennings creek is big as a small lake and there is Roaring River, Dale Hollow is a huge lake and is located around 17 miles. We have 4 or 5 nice modern campgrounds within 10 miles.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 10,609 times
Default Check out Jonesborough, TN

mrshvo: Sounds like you are describing Jonesborough, TN. Check it out. Pat

Old 12-07-2007, 01:55 PM

323 posts, read 741,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexie_Baxter View Post
Hi, I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. Gainesboro is a laid back little town and the whole town closes down on Wednesday. I really never figured out why. I moved here form Cookevillle 17 yrs ago. Jobs are hard to find but I think the nursing home is always hiring. There is a factory run by the Japanese called Ansei and Neilsen Bainbridge is usually hiring. My Daughter works in cookeville but it is only around 17 miles to from here with really good roads and it takes 20 minutes. The kids never complain about school so it must be ok. The people are wonderul and whithin 2 weeks I knew everyone in town. The Anderson Haile drug store is a gathering place also and has wonderful ice cream cones, all the older folks hang out there and eat burgers and talk also. Benton quarles will open the drugstore at midnight if you need medicine. They have a Poke sallet
festival every year that draws a big crowd from surrounding countys with live music, horse and buggy rides, outhouse races, carnival and crafts. Theres not much for kids but they all go to movies, bowling, and such in cookeville. My Grandchildren play baseball, football, cheerleading,and basketball. You can wear anything you want from dress up to rags and no one cares.

I forgot to add, I pay 200.00 a month for a small white house in town with 2 bd/1 bath , carport with a creek running behind it. My daughter lives next door and pays 300.00 a month for bigger 2 bd and my son-in -law lives behind me in a 3 bd cabin and pays 250.00 a month. I think the highest rent here is a brick house 3bd with basement for 400.00 a month. There is great fishing within 2 miles, Jennings creek is big as a small lake and there is Roaring River, Dale Hollow is a huge lake and is located around 17 miles. We have 4 or 5 nice modern campgrounds within 10 miles.
Hi Leslie, Got your DM and replied. I'll be going to the grocery store today. We're out of Folgers.

Gainesboro. (JACKSON COUNTY) Is a VERY safe place to live. Everyone knows everyone and I have not met a bad, ill tempered person yet in 17 years here. I am originally from Romulus, Michigan. I met my hubby up there and we moved back to his home town. Greatest thing I ever did in my life! I love it in middle Tennessee. We are close to all the amenities without living square dab in the middle of any hub bub. You want quiet. This is the place. When you want the glimmer we aren't far from it. Oddles of hunting, fishing and recreation.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Gainesboro is a really nice little town. It's got several great little antique shops in its downtown. There aren't many jobs in Gainesboro, though, I think the town has a population of fewer than 900 and hasn't had a new house built in the city since 1996. But it's less than 20 minutes from booming Cookeville, which is pretty much where everyone in Gainesboro works, shops, eats out, etc.

There are some nice pictures of Gainesboro at its city-data site:
Gainesboro, Tennessee (TN) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Yes, we have had new houses built since 1996 in and around Gainesboro. No new houses within the actual town because it is on the historical register. Yes, The whole town. So they have to abide by rules for new housing to go up on any within the immediate square. Hwy 56 is scheduled to be widened spring of 2008. It will be a 4 lane from Burkesville, KY to I-40. The High school and Middle school are new. I haven't heard when we will get a new Elementary school but I imagine not to far in the future.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
For $650/month you could probably rent a mansion in Gainesboro! I don't think you'd have any problems at all finding a clean, comfortable place in Jackson County (Gainesboro) for less--a LOT less--than $650/month.
I agree You can rent and/or buy for that much. BIG House for that. The big city traffic hasn't gotten to Gainesboro. Although the town council was approached by some chain stores. They were denied. El Rey's is a great Mexican restaurant, Fayes, Helens, City Cafe, B & D Bar B Que, Giovanni's Pizza and there's a few more restaurants as well as Dairy Queen. We have 2 Pharmacies, quite a few Antique shops, Doctors, Dentists, and a veterinarian.

They and I want to keep the quaintness of Gainesboro. If I want big chain stores. I go to Cookeville once or twice a month. I compared prices on groceries also. The grocery prices are cheaper in Gainesboro at one store compared to the same chain store in Cookeville. Altho the other is about the same as Cookeville.

I like the mom and pop restaurants. You get good food and great conversation. Everyone knows everyone and treat you like you've always been part of the family.

And no one cares how you dress. Heck, I've had to run to town after cleaning chicken coops. lmao. People dress in anything from rags to farmer overalls to any of the designer name brands. And yes, we do have some "goth" people. All are great people. Even the grocery store clerks ask you how you've been. And don't forget to put your hand up when everyone driving in town waves.

Last edited by Starwalker Fallen Angel; 12-07-2007 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee