U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Tennessee: relocating, home gardening , property, performing art, log home construction.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:03 AM

51 posts, read 123,394 times

Advertisements

Hi "Ya'll" (hows that am I "fitting in" yet),

I'm a (soon to be) 50 year old retired air traffic controller. My wife and I currently live in Minnesota and we are considering relocating somewhere south and east. Central and Eastern TN are two of the areas we are considering and I am writing in the hope that someone can offer some insight that may help us in making our decision.

Over the years I have had the opportunity to spend a bit of time in the Tri-Cities (visiting relatives) as well as the Chattanooga area (visiting friends). I found both areas to be attractive and affordable but it's hard to get a feel for lifestyle when your visits only last a few days. Perhaps if I discribe what we are looking for some of you would be kind enough to let me know if such a place exists in TN.

We are seeking a location with a balance of affordability and cultural opportunity. Translate that to read that we do NOT want to live in "the sticks" just because it's affordable, nor do we want to sacrifice an affordable cost of living just to be near a metropolis and all the cultural activies we enjoy...It's getting difficult already isn't it The lifestyle we are seeking might best be discribed as "SubRural"...that is to say we would like to be out of town far enough to have an acre (or two) for gardening and privacy but still be within commuting distance of the convieniences of a larger city (i.e. health care, entertainment, dining, etc).

The area we're looking for would be "upscale" but not ostentatious...We're not interested in rubbing shoulders with the "rich and famous" but neither are we interested in being bound by people begin every conversation with either "What church do you go to" or "Who's your driver".

We are "empty nesters", so schools are not an issue...access to an airport that gets us away to SEE the kids is an issue. We LOVE to dine out and enjoy the occasional play and/or concert...In this case "dine" being defined as something above and beyond the local "Applebees" and "play" being defined as being performed above the high school level. We are also active adults and try to ride our bicycles and take hikes on a regular basis, so access to biking and hiking paths is a must. Otherwise we just want to be somewhere where we a going to be accepted for what and who we are.

Any of you have any ideas ? Feel free to reply in this forum or email me personally. Thanks in advance for any advice or direction any of you may provide.

StevieP[/font][/font]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2006, 03:55 AM

3 posts, read 15,144 times
SteviePee2
I'm from Ill. and soon to retire. the wife and I bought some property in south west Tn.(Jackscreek area) few years ago. The area is beautiful and is as you call it "subRural." just a 20min drive to Jackson Tn. which has over 100
good eating resturants and stores from Neimen Marcs to Sears and every store in between. for performing arts you have the Carl Perkens Civc center which has many headlining acts.Jackson is also equip with a major hosptail with emer. helecopter service and there is also a airport with flights to Memphis and St.Louis. Jackscreek is located between to major trail parks: Chickasaw and Natches state parks. for great boating(you can travel all the way down to the gulf of Mexico.) and fishing there is Pickwick dam area which is about 25mins away We have home on 10 acres which affords the privacy and beauty and still have good neighbors. We put in our first garden in last year which included bannana trees which grew to 10' and sprouted bannanas. For the wife and I this is the place for us. Good luck! on finding your dream place. Reco

Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,684,472 times
On the other side of TN, there is Pinney Flats. It seems like it would also be a great spot for you. It is right in between Johnson City and Bristol, close to Kingsprt and yeat a short drive to Asheville NC, which is a cultural hub but exspensive to live. There is lots of shopping, malls and small stores both in Bristol and J.C. Night life too. River and parks are close too. You can still get a nice house and a few acres for about 125ish.
I lve and work in the Tri-Cities area and love it! email me if you would like more info on the area.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:56 AM

129 posts, read 434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteviePee2
Hi "Ya'll" (hows that am I "fitting in" yet),

I'm a (soon to be) 50 year old retired air traffic controller. My wife and I currently live in Minnesota and we are considering relocating somewhere south and east. Central and Eastern TN are two of the areas we are considering and I am writing in the hope that someone can offer some insight that may help us in making our decision.

Over the years I have had the opportunity to spend a bit of time in the Tri-Cities (visiting relatives) as well as the Chattanooga area (visiting friends). I found both areas to be attractive and affordable but it's hard to get a feel for lifestyle when your visits only last a few days. Perhaps if I discribe what we are looking for some of you would be kind enough to let me know if such a place exists in TN.

We are seeking a location with a balance of affordability and cultural opportunity. Translate that to read that we do NOT want to live in "the sticks" just because it's affordable, nor do we want to sacrifice an affordable cost of living just to be near a metropolis and all the cultural activies we enjoy...It's getting difficult already isn't it The lifestyle we are seeking might best be discribed as "SubRural"...that is to say we would like to be out of town far enough to have an acre (or two) for gardening and privacy but still be within commuting distance of the convieniences of a larger city (i.e. health care, entertainment, dining, etc).

The area we're looking for would be "upscale" but not ostentatious...We're not interested in rubbing shoulders with the "rich and famous" but neither are we interested in being bound by people begin every conversation with either "What church do you go to" or "Who's your driver".

We are "empty nesters", so schools are not an issue...access to an airport that gets us away to SEE the kids is an issue. We LOVE to dine out and enjoy the occasional play and/or concert...In this case "dine" being defined as something above and beyond the local "Applebees" and "play" being defined as being performed above the high school level. We are also active adults and try to ride our bicycles and take hikes on a regular basis, so access to biking and hiking paths is a must. Otherwise we just want to be somewhere where we a going to be accepted for what and who we are.

Any of you have any ideas ? Feel free to reply in this forum or email me personally. Thanks in advance for any advice or direction any of you may provide.

StevieP[/font][/font]
my husband and i bought property about 2 years ago in spencer tn. we have learned to love it so much that we are building a log home there this year, and planning to move there full-time in 3 years when my husband can get his pension. the developement that we are moving to is called Hawks Bluff, and it is in Phase 4. we bought in phase I and we were one of the first 10 buyers. we hade no idea that this area would be in such demand. we went up there on one of those "fly on Us" promos. this area is 52 miles from Chatanooga, and 2 hours from Nashville. not a whole lot there yet, but there is alot of promise. we like the fact that it is 8 miles from Fall Creek Falls State Park. the golfing in the park is amazing, and the waterfall are unbelievable! you can find a web site for Hawks Bluff as well as the state park. try this area, you'll fall in love!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:49 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,471,063 times
Thumbs up Chattanooga vote

SP2 : Just moved North side of Chattanooga 5 weeks ago from out of state. Just a great area. Weather HOT this summer most records in 7 years 95 + degree each day. Churches are very BIG on family activities here and great socal time. Recreation very popular with hiking / bike trails all over ridges, kayak, fishing / boating on the river. City very active for weekend festivals, etc. North side housing more value, New construcion $ 130 K, ridge house or river front to $ Million. We picked SODDY DAISY town, great mix. Post again if I can help. Larry

Old 08-09-2006, 12:10 PM

956 posts, read 4,164,749 times
I am originally from Michigan, but lived in both Middle Tennessee and in Western and Eastern NC.
There are plenty of places within an hours drive to Nashville that you might like.
Also, if you want more of a four seasons, but without the really long dark Midwestern winter, then you might consider somewhere South or East of Asheville NC.
Maybe you have visited enough to not be jarred by the cultural differences. I know it is not always feasible, but I suggest renting a while before you buy. You never really know a place before you live there.
Good luck.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 PM

45 posts, read 238,432 times
Default Near Knoxville

We just sold our house here in Florida and are headed for eastern Tennessee, to search for a house within about a 30-mile drive of Knoxville. We will be looking for a house in Campbell County, Anderson County, Roane County, Jefferson County, etc.
Knox County is probably not affordable for us since we would like to have an acre or 2, but all the others sure are.
Knoxville offers as much culture as most of us can handle, along with the superb medical facilities that come with a university town, as well as restaurants for all tastes.
We particularly like Campbell and Anderson counties with their pristine TVA rivers and lakes, surrounded by national, state and county parks that offer more hiking trails than we'd be able to cover in two lifetimes.

We, too, are empty nesters. We also have been forewarned that what passes for social activities in Campbell County consist of those held in church halls. We will have to find another outlets and I'm sure we will, if we wind up buying there.
I have lived all over the U.S. including mega cities like LA, Phoenix and Denver. Peace and quiet, with the option of mental and cultural stimulation, make somewhere near Knoxville our choice.
Happy hunting,
Maggie

Old 08-09-2006, 02:56 PM

956 posts, read 4,164,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magster
We just sold our house here in Florida and are headed for eastern Tennessee, to search for a house within about a 30-mile drive of Knoxville. We will be looking for a house in Campbell County, Anderson County, Roane County, Jefferson County, etc.
Knox County is probably not affordable for us since we would like to have an acre or 2, but all the others sure are.
Knoxville offers as much culture as most of us can handle, along with the superb medical facilities that come with a university town, as well as restaurants for all tastes.
We particularly like Campbell and Anderson counties with their pristine TVA rivers and lakes, surrounded by national, state and county parks that offer more hiking trails than we'd be able to cover in two lifetimes.

We, too, are empty nesters. We also have been forewarned that what passes for social activities in Campbell County consist of those held in church halls. We will have to find another outlets and I'm sure we will, if we wind up buying there.
I have lived all over the U.S. including mega cities like LA, Phoenix and Denver. Peace and quiet, with the option of mental and cultural stimulation, make somewhere near Knoxville our choice.
Happy hunting,
Maggie
Why not try somewhere like Chelsea Michigan? Nice little farming community with a great community theatre (Jeff Daniels), and not too far from Ann Arbor.
Guess the Winters is what knocks that out of the running.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 PM

45 posts, read 238,432 times
Default Try and keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
Why not try somewhere like Chelsea Michigan? Nice little farming community with a great community theatre (Jeff Daniels), and not too far from Ann Arbor.
Guess the Winters is what knocks that out of the running.
Clearly, you didn't read the original post

Old 08-12-2006, 01:59 AM

408 posts, read 1,854,944 times
How about looking into the Maryville/Alcoa area. That is where the Knoxville Airport is (good for getting out to see the kids). It is close to the Smoky Mountains (good for hiking and enjoying nature). Maryville is building up, but you can hop on the Pellissippi parkway and be at Turkey Creek in Knoxville in no time (15-20 minutes tops) and be at all the shopping and dining you could want. It has some upscale places as well as Wal-mart. In Knoxville, there are museums and plays (college level and up). I would also say that around Maryville you would have a greater chance of affordable land at this point as opposed to the close quarters of the larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee