Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 07:27 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,344,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperG1rl View Post
Internet will be a big thing for us because my husband works from home and I myself is hoping to get the same job as well. So your suggesting to look more closer to more bigger city like Knoxville but outskirts of it?
I can't speak to other areas, but we're in the tiny community of Del Rio, outside of Newport. We have broadband here and it's been great, rock solid stable.

How rural are you looking for? East TN isn't really "rural" like the west where you can be miles between houses. It's all fairly populated, you can't really get away from houses and people-but there are plenty of places where it's not "crowded". As far as access to "town"-small cities are all over with a population of say 2000 on up, and many very small cities have a WM, some grocery stores and a TSC. If you don't mind a 1/2-1 hour drive to more "upscale" shopping and services, your options go way up. One thing to be aware of though is that if you're in a rural area, things like ambulance service can have a pretty long response time, if that's a concern. My only advice-stay away from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg as a home. WAY touresty, crowded, overdone. Disney in a bad way. Fine to visit and play for a little while, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 01:52 PM

70 posts, read 72,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I can't speak to other areas, but we're in the tiny community of Del Rio, outside of Newport. We have broadband here and it's been great, rock solid stable.

How rural are you looking for? East TN isn't really "rural" like the west where you can be miles between houses. It's all fairly populated, you can't really get away from houses and people-but there are plenty of places where it's not "crowded". As far as access to "town"-small cities are all over with a population of say 2000 on up, and many very small cities have a WM, some grocery stores and a TSC. If you don't mind a 1/2-1 hour drive to more "upscale" shopping and services, your options go way up. One thing to be aware of though is that if you're in a rural area, things like ambulance service can have a pretty long response time, if that's a concern. My only advice-stay away from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg as a home. WAY touresty, crowded, overdone. Disney in a bad way. Fine to visit and play for a little while, but I wouldn't want to live there.
We don't want to be down by Gatlinburg area at all. We are now in Elizabethton for our vacation. We stayed over night in Middleboro KY. We visited the Cumberland Gap etc yesterday and today. Drove through the gap to Elizabethton.

We are more open to check out other areas before making our decisions. We are liking West part as well. I told my husband I want to be in Tennessee more than KY. I don't want to be too rural. But not to far of a drive to stores etc. I don't mind driving 30 mind to all the good stores etc. But have decent places within the area.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:37 PM

34,882 posts, read 30,982,886 times
Quote:
We don't want to be down by Gatlinburg area at all. We are now in Elizabethton for our vacation. We stayed over night in Middleboro KY. We visited the Cumberland Gap etc yesterday and today. Drove through the gap to Elizabethton.

We are more open to check out other areas before making our decisions. We are liking West part as well. I told my husband I want to be in Tennessee more than KY. I don't want to be too rural. But not to far of a drive to stores etc. I don't mind driving 30 mind to all the good stores etc. But have decent places within the area.
I think a lot of it depends on how rural you need or want to be.

Elizabethton has the basics, but it's a shot back to JC for anything for more than Food City/Ingles, Walmart, Lowe's, and some restaurants. Outside of Elizabethton, anywhere else becomes a much longer haul to even the basics.

I'd look into Roan Mountain if you want rural. Maybe up toward Hampton or even Watauga Lake, but that will be big money.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:09 AM

We are enjoying our vacation here. We like Roan Mt and JC for shopping needs etc. Elizabethton not too much.

Let me explain what my husband saw and felt on our way on Sunday. When we were heading towards Middlesboro KY to stay 1 night (Cumberland Gap) he told me that night he felt like it's called him home. That mountain Cumberland Gap area. But he did not lock it in place until we arrived to our destination on Monday. We have enjoyed everything so far. What we want 1st is good internet, 2nd we want to be in the heart of the rolling hills of the Mountains.

I believe we are looking more west from JC and Knoxville. I would not be surprised he will push to more closer to the Cumberland Gap. We both are from Pittsburgh, we grew up going up north in the Mts like Tionesta PA etc. So we want more rolling hills with a view than what Elizabethton has to offer.

While we were here so far we are shocked how the cops are they don't care how you drive, man these ppl drive like they own these roads. While driving through Roan Mts seeing nothing but JUNK yards on both sides of the states is appalling and heartbreaking. You are in the most beautiful mountains and these cities or state won't cite ppl on all these trash of junk we have to see driving through to enjoy such beautiful nature definitely drove us away from wanting to live out that way to enjoy Roan Mt everyday or every weekend to hike that's part of the Appalachian trail. We visit Roan Mt when we move to a location in Tennessee in few years to hike trails at times.

We will decide which part of Tennessee. We are looking more towards the Cumberland Gap and closer to Ky

Old 04-29-2022, 08:45 AM

34,882 posts, read 30,982,886 times
The issue with west of Knoxville is that, except for right along the Cumberland Plateau, you begin to lose the elevation and cooler summers.

For internet, especially rural properties, you'd want to Google "internet service providers Elizabethton" or whatever, go to that ISP's website, and plug in the street address of their service area maps. Many truly rural areas do not have broadband.

A lot of folks think east TN = mountains, and while that's true, to an extent, much of the land at higher elevations in TN isn't buildable. It's mostly parkland or otherwise protected.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:40 AM

We are keeping our options open. We have few years before we can move. We have land contract total of 10 years to decide if we want to buy the house or just rent after that. So I believe we have 3.5 years left of that 10 years.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:47 PM

142 posts, read 217,171 times
Quote:
We are enjoying our vacation here. We like Roan Mt and JC for shopping needs etc. Elizabethton not too much.
I'm a bit shocked by your liking Roan Mountain for shopping. It has practically no retail compared even to Elizabethton. And Elizabethton is about 20 minutes away from Johnson City where retail is fairly abundant.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:57 PM

Not Roan Mt for shopping needs. I typed it out wrong. I like Roan Mt for enjoyment. My apologies

Old 04-30-2022, 06:22 PM

142 posts, read 217,171 times
Quote:
Not Roan Mt for shopping needs. I typed it out wrong. I like Roan Mt for enjoyment. My apologies
The Roan Mountain State Park is quite nice.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:36 PM

11,020 posts, read 9,651,383 times
You might want to check out the areas around Madisonville and Etowah along Hwy 411 and Sweetwater on Hwy 68 and 11. Or Athens. All are between Knoxville and the southern part of the plateau. You don't get the cooling from the plateau in the summer, but they are cute small towns with rolling hills and mountain views in places. Chattanooga is pretty and there are hills all around. Further west, on the way to the plateau off I-40 are Kingston and Harriman. On the plateau, Crossville and the surrounding areas are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee