Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 04:19 PM

11 posts, read 18,516 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I will be posting this thread in the NC and GA forums as well.

My wife and I are looking for our forever home to finish growing old, and die. We are currently are in our late 40's, and just need a reprieve from this crazy world. I wont get to detailed here, but we are staunch Trump Supporters, but we don't judge anyone else's way of thinking and or life choices. I am a retired Law Enforcement, and Veteran, and my wife works from home. We are looking for a smaller town to retire too. Lets be real, I don't care about diversity, I care about quality of life, pride of ownership and safety. I hate big cities and crowded areas. We want to be close enough to the amenities, but far out enough to get away from the rat race. We use the "Costco" rule. Meaning, we like to be within at least an hour of Costco and 20-30 minutes from grocery shopping, i.e WalMart etc......

We have to have high speed internet, so other than Starlink, we need Hard lined speeds, at least 50 mbs down and 15 mbs up, No satellite. We have lived on large acreage (over 100 +), and small acreage (under 1 acre). We prefer something in the middle, maybe at least 2 acres min so I can put a shop if needed and I can shoot. Established neighborhoods over new construction is preferred. We want to be around like minded people, and want to blend into our community not change it. We have lived in CA, ID, VA, and Upper Pen MI.

Prefer lees exposure to tornados, but we understand it comes with the territory. When your time comes, the Lord is taking your ass no matter where you are.

We love the outdoors, but don't need to be in the boondocs. If you can afford us any incite on some areas that would be awesome. We are taking a impromptu road trip next week to buy a vehicle in NC. So we figured we would kill a few birds with one stone, and extend the trip to look into potential areas to call home.

Any help, is greatly appreciated.

I know some of you may attempt to troll this post, and I say go for it. There's a reason we have free speech, and I am wise enough to just ignore you anyway.

Last edited by JMT; 05-16-2022 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: language

Old 05-16-2022, 06:47 PM

730 posts, read 815,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discosupafly_2022 View Post
Hello all.

I will be posting this thread in the NC and GA forums as well.

My wife and I are looking for our forever home to finish growing old, and die. We are currently are in our late 40's, and just need a reprieve from this crazy world. I wont get to detailed here, but we are staunch Trump Supporters, but we don't judge anyone else's way of thinking and or life choices. I am a retired Law Enforcement, and Veteran, and my wife works from home. We are looking for a smaller town to retire too. Lets be real, I don't care about diversity, I care about quality of life, pride of ownership and safety. I hate big cities and crowded areas. We want to be close enough to the amenities, but far out enough to get away from the rat race. We use the "Costco" rule. Meaning, we like to be within at least an hour of Costco and 20-30 minutes from grocery shopping, i.e WalMart etc......

We have to have high speed internet, so other than Starlink, we need Hard lined speeds, at least 50 mbs down and 15 mbs up, No satellite. We have lived on large acreage (over 100 +), and small acreage (under 1 acre). We prefer something in the middle, maybe at least 2 acres min so I can put a shop if needed and I can shoot. Established neighborhoods over new construction is preferred. We want to be around like minded people, and want to blend into our community not change it. We have lived in CA, ID, VA, and Upper Pen MI.

Prefer lees exposure to tornados, but we understand it comes with the territory. When your time comes, the Lord is taking your ass no matter where you are.

We love the outdoors, but don't need to be in the boondocs. If you can afford us any incite on some areas that would be awesome. We are taking a impromptu road trip next week to buy a vehicle in NC. So we figured we would kill a few birds with one stone, and extend the trip to look into potential areas to call home.

Any help, is greatly appreciated.

I know some of you may attempt to troll this post, and I say go for it. There's a reason we have free speech, and I am wise enough to just ignore you anyway.
Check out Cookeville/Putnam County. Cookeville has a Sam's Club, but if that's still not good enough, there's a Costco an hour away in Murfreesboro.

Since you specifically mentioned high speed internet, there's 10 gig internet in Putnam County, especially the western half of the county. You can live in the boondocks and still have fiber internet faster than just about anywhere else on the planet. I have friends who moved from Austin TX to the Baxter area (western Putnam County) similar to you: 40s, he's retired military, his wife works from home, super conservative, and they live on 30 acres in the middle of nowhere (gorgeous views) and have 10 gig internet at their home. They also have kids, and they're loving it.

Oh, and Tennessee has lower taxes than either NC or GA.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:37 PM

143 posts, read 220,618 times
We chose NE Tennessee in the Tri-Cities area. DH is a veteran and the VA hospital in Johnson City is convenient.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:15 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
In east TN, the only Costcos are in Knoxville and Ringgold, GA, across from the line from Chattanooga.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:02 PM

176 posts, read 220,830 times
You might look in the northeast area of TN where the 75 is north of Knoxville. Between Knoxville and the KY border. Or between that and the 40 on the Plateau (east of Crossville).

You sound like a perfect fit for this part of the world, welcome!

Old 05-20-2022, 06:00 PM

11 posts, read 18,516 times
All great information everyone. Thank you very much. On the road right now, I will be checking out the suggested areas this coming week

Old 05-20-2022, 07:45 PM

67 posts, read 107,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post

Since you specifically mentioned high speed internet, there's 10 gig internet in Putnam County, especially the western half of the county. You can live in the boondocks and still have fiber internet faster than just about anywhere else on the planet. I have friends who moved from Austin TX to the Baxter area (western Putnam County) similar to you: 40s, he's retired military, his wife works from home, super conservative, and they live on 30 acres in the middle of nowhere (gorgeous views) and have 10 gig internet at their home. They also have kids, and they're loving it.
Putnam County is hit or miss - we are far eastern, near White County...and we have Frontier with like 2 megs at best. There's high speed 10 gig just down the road in Cumberland Cove, but they won't run it out any further. It's incredibly frustrating, despite many many many emails and calls to the Mayor of Putnam Cty, he keeps saying, "It's coming." Best thing to do is make sure you have actual access to the 10 gigs when you are house hunting - that was a bad move on our part for sure.

Last edited by JMT; 05-20-2022 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: language

Old 05-20-2022, 08:26 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaloo View Post
Putnam County is hit or miss - we are far eastern, near White County...and we have Frontier with like 2 megs at best. There's high speed 10 gig just down the road in Cumberland Cove, but they won't run it out any further. It's incredibly frustrating, despite many many many emails and calls to the Mayor of Putnam Cty, he keeps saying, "It's coming." Best thing to do is make sure you have actual access to the 10 gigs when you are house hunting - that was a bad move on our part for sure.
Very true. While the city of Cookeville has 1 gig with Spectrum (the cable provider), the areas with 10 gig are the areas covered by rural telephone cooperative Twin Lakes: Baxter (west Putnam County) and Cookeville South as well as some neighborhoods in Cookeville and Cumberland Cove in eastern Putnam County. Twin Lakes has announced plans to finish extending the 10 gig service to the rest of the county, but that'll take a couple of years minimum.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-21-2022, 05:45 AM

730 posts, read 815,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaloo View Post
Here's a map of the areas with Twin Lakes 10 gig internet. This is probably about the only place in the entire country where the most remote areas have faster internet than the most urban areas. According to this map, all of Jackson, Overton, Clay, Pickett, and Fentress counties have Twin Lakes' 10 gig fiber service, and all of western Putnam County and most areas in Putnam County south of Cookeville do, too, as well as some neighborhoods within Cookeville. And, of course, Cumberland Cove in eastern Putnam County. Twin Lakes is partnering with Putnam County to extend its broadband internet service to the rest of the county, hopefully within the next couple of years.

A realtor friend of mine told me that mansions around Center Hill Lake are selling like hot cakes to people from Nashville who are now working remotely from home and have 10 gig internet, faster than they could get in Nashville, and now live full time on the lake.

Need No BS advice/recommendations on a safer small town-screenshot-2022-05-21-063718.png

Old 05-21-2022, 01:40 PM

367 posts, read 585,317 times
Take a look at Woodbury, TN it is a small town about 25 minutes from Murfreesboro, which has all the amenities you need. Costco, Walmart, Sam's Club, hospitals etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee