Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 07:35 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
20 years ago, when I worked in Huntsville, AL, we lived across the state line in Fayetteville. Lovely place, but not what the OP is looking for. We would often drive to Franklin to shop at Cool Springs, have lunch and investigate the rich Civil War history of the area. After a job-related move out of state, we did not return to TN for quite a few years. Five years ago we considered moving to Franklin for retirement, but it had changed too much to be attractive to us anymore.

If we ever do move back to TN, Cookeville would probably be at the top of our list.
Over 20 years the big change may be in the addition of Nissan and some corporate offices. For shopping the area seems to have survived the demise of some big box stores & Sears. Nearby is a mixed use area west from WalMart.

On the historical point remarkable how Franklin has slowly converted into Civil War battle parks, November will be another anniversary. You will find historical sites now well worth the visit. Gone are the Pizza Hut Dominoes pizza at ground zero.

Downtown Franklin with the mix of the court house, theater, shops, makes another place well worth the visit.

Getting around Franklin is a bit easier with new segment of Mack Hatcher Parkway ring from the west & around to the South. Does have a trolley bus service & RTA bus to downtown Nashville. New completion of Holey Gap Road project allows better access to Brentwood & parts of Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 10:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Germantown TN is the same density as Franklin, with slightly higher average income. Just outside a major city. About half the size. Housing cost appears 1/3rd less. Same super high rate of 4 year / plus degree holders (slightly higher in fact).

Similar enough in feel? I dunno, but seems worth considering.

At this time, what does the OP thinks is closest to right city in GA (if any)?

Is being near a big city important despite concerns about traffic & busy or do you prefer no big city or plan to try to ignore the big city?

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-05-2022 at 10:52 PM..

Old 12-05-2022, 11:55 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Germantown is far from Georgia. You either have to go through Tennessee till you hit 840, or the long slog through Birmingham. But overall Gtown is pretty nice, except that it barely barely has a downtown or historic district. Collierville in that case would be more comparable…

Old 12-06-2022, 07:52 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Germantown TN is the same density as Franklin, with slightly higher average income. Just outside a major city. About half the size. Housing cost appears 1/3rd less. Same super high rate of 4 year / plus degree holders (slightly higher in fact).

Similar enough in feel? I dunno, but seems worth considering.

At this time, what does the OP thinks is closest to right city in GA (if any)?

Is being near a big city important despite concerns about traffic & busy or do you prefer no big city or plan to try to ignore the big city?
Germantown is a beautiful area and a good comparision with the exception of a couple of factors--

*As someone else mentioned, it doesn't have the historic, quaint, super walkable and charming--yet high end--downtown like Franklin has

*While the allure of being near Memphis is pretty cool, the city and region do not have the same amenities, strong economy or overall robust growth as living in the Nashville region does (if that is a factor to someone's decision)

Old 01-07-2023, 07:10 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
You've posted this same question in multiple forums. Please visit the areas suggested, narrow down what feels right and then come back to the forums to further research. Each place has their own vibe and there is nothing like visiting in person.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:06 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,982 times
Considerably farther out from Nashville's core than Franklin is Clarksville, but it's growing fast and is making efforts to create a traditional core in its old style downtown. Just this week, construction started on a new/renovated area of downtown around the new arena. It's also on the river and has a state university adjacent to downtown. I'd say it's really a work in progress at this time, but it has lots of potential and appears to be creating its own critical mass.

Here's the latest new development downtown: https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...aking-bna.html https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...arksville.html

Old 06-18-2023, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Germantown is a beautiful area and a good comparision with the exception of a couple of factors--

*As someone else mentioned, it doesn't have the historic, quaint, super walkable and charming--yet high end--downtown like Franklin has

*While the allure of being near Memphis is pretty cool, the city and region do not have the same amenities, strong economy or overall robust growth as living in the Nashville region does (if that is a factor to someone's decision)
When mentioning Memphis, don't forget the horrible crime that is all over Memphis, Germantown, Collierville, etc. It doesn't matter what part of town you're in, violent crime is there. You can go to the nicest shopping areas in Germantown or Collierville and there is a high risk of getting robbed or carjacked in the parking lot. I lived there for over 40 years and left a few years back. My brother keeps us updated on how bad things have become on a daily basis. Most people there have gotten used to it, but for us, living there was too stressful.

There is a reason Justin Timberlake doesn't live in his hometown near Memphis...it is a terribly crime-ridden area, there is really nothing to do, it is a fairly poor city and there is no growth. The leadership does almost nothing about crime. They have a "no chase law" that forbids police from chasing down criminals. My brother told me of a recent event on I-240, the loop around Memphis. It was reported in the news that a few people in a gang stopped in the middle of traffic, which forced everyone to stop, and were waving guns around, and just scaring and trying to intimidate people who were driving on the loop. There was no escape if they had shot at anyone. The cops were called but never came. This is what Memphis is now. It is run by criminals because the elected city prosecutor is too afraid to do anything for fears of blowback due to things happening around the country.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:04 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
People have mentioned Farragut. It doesn't have the town center that Franklin does and the attempts to create one have not been successful. However, I love downtown Knoxville and it is very easy to access it from Farragut. At the same time, medical services, shopping, good schools, and outdoor activities are at your fingertips right in the Farragut area. I live on the edge of Farragut and it is only 16 easy miles to Market Square, the heart of Knoxville downtown.

Old 09-30-2023, 03:34 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
People have mentioned Farragut. It doesn't have the town center that Franklin does and the attempts to create one have not been successful. However, I love downtown Knoxville and it is very easy to access it from Farragut. At the same time, medical services, shopping, good schools, and outdoor activities are at your fingertips right in the Farragut area. I live on the edge of Farragut and it is only 16 easy miles to Market Square, the heart of Knoxville downtown.
I love this area. My friends used to stay off North Shore about 1/2 mile from the Target shopping center. That area is so pretty in the Fall. Farragut reminds me of smaller Hendersonville. West Knoxville/Farragut could use a town center development like the Summit (Lexington, KY) or Mid City (Huntsville, AL).

Old 10-01-2023, 06:46 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I love this area. My friends used to stay off North Shore about 1/2 mile from the Target shopping center. That area is so pretty in the Fall. Farragut reminds me of smaller Hendersonville. West Knoxville/Farragut could use a town center development like the Summit (Lexington, KY) or Mid City (Huntsville, AL).
I live off Northshore 2 miles from the Target. That shopping center was supposed to be a "town center" type development with an entertainment area, small shops and residential mix. It was not originally intended to be a big box/supermarket location. But the commissioners let the developers change the zoning after building for the the residential area behind it had already been underway. I really felt like those homeowners had been sold a bill of goods. It is a warning......don't count on anything that isn't already built, because plans can change. That said, that shopping center is super-convenient for me and I have some nice water views on my drive there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee