Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 06:49 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Opossums love ticks too.
I would think Opossums would be harder to keep although which is uglier is a toss up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 01:33 PM

667 posts, read 763,084 times
Looks like chiggers are becoming a problem now too.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:32 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I would think Opossums would be harder to keep although which is uglier is a toss up.
Opossums are cute... ish. Like funny-looking ferrets. If you live way out in the country you'll want both.

As for "keeping" opossum, you just have to keep attracting more: https://opossumsocietyus.org/how-to-...your-property/

Or you could trap wild opossums for release on your property, except I'm pretty sure that's illegal in TN. It may be possible to contact your local animal control about using your property as a release site for opossum trapped in subdivisions. Just don't create an all-you-can-eat opossum buffet for the local coyotes. Unless you also have Guinea fowl to fight off the coyotes.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 05-11-2023 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-11-2023, 12:37 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
I am sorry but if you have horses or have a neighbor with horses, please do not encourage opossum to take up residence in an attempt to control the tick population.

They are carriers of EPM, a neurological, life-threatening disease. Horses that do survive, after the very expensive treatment, never come back 100%.

https://ker.com/equinews/epm-dont-bl...um%20droppings.

Where it says in part:

“Equine protozoal myeloencephalitis, or EPM, is caused by Sarcocystis neurona protozoa. Carried by opossums and shed in their feces, S. neurona is frequently spread to raccoons and skunks when these animals consume opossum droppings. According to a note in Equus, antibodies against S. neurona have been found in barn cats but at a much lower rate (only 7%) than raccoons (100%) and skunks (46%). All three can become intermediate hosts if their tissues are eaten by an opossum, infecting the opossum and allowing it to transmit oocysts to the environment and to horses through contamination of grass, hay, or feed with fecal material. ”

Yes, the opossums are so ugly they’re cute, but if they show up anywhere near my barn, I trap them and relocate them miles and miles away in a remote location.

Old 05-11-2023, 04:55 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
That's why bug spray was invented. There's Deep Woods Off... and Cutter and several other repellants that work great. Spray your cap... your clothes and your shoes, and you will not have a problem. Lived here for years. We have woods around our house and never seen a live tick on any of my family members. We have short-hair dogs and they never get ticks because we stay up-to-date with their treatments. We keep our grass mowed and blow leaves, debris, and brush away from the buildings on our property. We also have regular pest treatments. With a few ordinary pests (a mouse in our crawl space) and a chipmunk in our basement (dead when found) and some ants during the dry season, we've had absolutely no problem. Bugs come with living here.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
Opossums are cute... ish. Like funny-looking ferrets. If you live way out in the country you'll want both.

As for "keeping" opossum, you just have to keep attracting more: https://opossumsocietyus.org/how-to-...your-property/

Or you could trap wild opossums for release on your property, except I'm pretty sure that's illegal in TN. It may be possible to contact your local animal control about using your property as a release site for opossum trapped in subdivisions. Just don't create an all-you-can-eat opossum buffet for the local coyotes. Unless you also have Guinea fowl to fight off the coyotes.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the bee holder.

I'm sure my coon dogs would enjoy the opossums. They are the reason I no longer have free range chickens of guineas.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:50 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Possums would be quieter!

Old 05-16-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Possums would be quieter!
Yes, but Guineas double as watchdogs.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:06 AM

702 posts, read 289,684 times
You can spray poisons into your yard and environment but the best bet might simply be to maintain your yard. Ticks love shrubbery and high grass. Mow your grass regularly, remove leaf litter, cut back the shrubbery. If you have unmaintained areas of your property, or trash and debris in your yard, then clear them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee