Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 PM

41 posts, read 184,161 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a plant that I can plant on the slope of my property that is very shade tolerant (grow under tree cover) and controls errosion. The more I read (Tn Extension, etc.) ...the more confused I get .... it seems the best species suited for this task are considered somewhat invasive (like certain legumes) while others types are eaten readily by wildlife which there is an abundance of. Anyone have personal experience with this?
If so, I also need advice for "seeding"..like depth..best time of yr... (too much land for planting plants).
Right now the slope is heavily wooded but the trees are growing too dense. I'll be working on culling out the less desirable trees on the slope to give the more desirable trees room to thrive. As I give these trees a healthy radius to grow...I'll opening pockets of the canopy for the elements to fall directly on the soil..I was hoping to seed these pockets to avoid problems till the trees fill in the gaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
I would check more into this plant.......
Species: Kalmia latifolia

Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I would check more into this plant.......
Species: Kalmia latifolia
It gets a little bigger than what I was imagining, but its drought tolerance, ability to regenerate quickly after a fire, dense growth pattern and flowers are all a bonus to the errosion control goal...thx for your help

Old 06-02-2008, 02:35 PM

69 posts, read 268,515 times
Try Japanese Pachysandra-very durable and holds back eroision well

Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Kudzu! (just kidding)

Old 06-03-2008, 04:12 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,747 times
Whatever you do, don't plant this:

Ground-elder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

unless the area has some natural boundaries, like creeks or rocks or, best case scenario, lava flows.

We have some in what I thought was a contained flowerbed. Some day soon its offspring will break in and kill us in our sleep.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
Default Flame Azalea .?

Bullard: I like the idea of Mountain Laural, if you have a source for it. Buying individual ones at a nursery can get expensive. Our woods have a healthy source of Flame Azalya on shaded , slope hill towards west lake. Many deer in woods, so guess this on your wish list. Fragrant blooms in early May. Even smaller 2 footers have pinkish red or white blooms.
. Somewhat in the Rhodendron family. If you get a source for Mtn Laural, will trade you some for variety.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:46 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
Default Blue-Berry , Quince, Red-Bud, etc.

B: Also great idea is BlueBerry bushes, today see fruit in the shaded woods. Quince(Texas Scarlett) very early spring Red flowers, similar to the early yellow forsythia family, .Smaller red-bud trees easy to re-locate to your open dirt.
. Look in your woods to see what grows now, re-locate some stuff. Also ask extension about Free seedlings, or programs, . Keep hearing about chestnut trees to make a comeback.?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:30 AM

appreciate the posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee