Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I didnt think so at the time. I was sweating bullets, but did manage to finish the counts. That was a summer I spent in Misissippi when I was a student. There are lots of creepy crawlies there. I admire your appriciation of snakes. Ive known only 2 people that share your enthuasim. I prefer critters with fur.
Im sure you were a bit on-edge, as most people would be. But if you really knew the snakes and knew you were in 100% safety, you might have really enjoyed the spectacle.

As for my enthuisiasm? Thanks! Youre correct! I mainly research and keep scorpions and other venomous invertebrates, but I do love my snakes. There are TONS of enthuisiasts abroad, you can find them on Field Herp Forum, VenomousReptiles.org Home - The SHHS is Venomous Snake Headquarters, The Venomlist - For All Things Venomous, Arachnoboards - Powered by vBulletin, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio View Post
I stand by my original statement, that is, that an overly-casual attitude towards snakes can lead to serious consequences. The issue is not with people who are familiar with snakes (although serious problems arise even there occasionally) but to view snakes in the same category as birds, rabbits, etc. is foolish.

Snakes are stealthy and can be difficult or impossible to see and despite precautions we may come in contact with them. Most are essentially harmless; some are venomous enough to seriously threaten us. People who are familiar with mushrooms hunt and eat them but mis-identification leads sometimes to tragedy. So, too, it is with snakes; I don't fear snakes but I respect them and leave them alone. Those who wish to interact with them are free to do so. I won't.
Well, I definitely respect your approach and opinion. However, any animal can inflict a serious bite, even pets, regardless if theyre rabbits, dogs, cats, etc. Snakes are no different in that aspect. Yes, some are venomous and can inflict a lot of damage to your body, but the number of people who die in the USA vs the number who are bit creates a huuuuuge gap. More people probably die from dog attacks and being kicked by horses than die from snakebite annually in the USA. Dont quote me on that though.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:59 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,379,634 times
It was an embarrassment on many fronts (so to speak) lol!

But it made me mad that it propagates snake hysteria. I hate that.

I even find on animal planet sometimes they go out of their way to feed the fear. It's such BS.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:09 PM

39 posts, read 224,774 times
Default Tn Snakes

There are only three venomous snakes in Tn. The Timber rattlesnake, Copperhead, and the Cottonmouth. East Tn. only has two of the three and they are the Timber rattlesnake and the copperhead. The Cottonmouth is in West Tn. all the way to Nashville. If you make a lot of noise when walking they will be gone most of the times before you see them. The Timber rattlesnake's venom is called Hemotoxin and the Copperhead & Cottonmouth both have Nerotoxim. (Fatalities are rare) The Nerotoxin is far less damaging.
Give them room and they will get out of the way.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:00 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,774,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hamilton View Post
There are only three venomous snakes in Tn. The Timber rattlesnake, Copperhead, and the Cottonmouth.
Though quite rare, pygmy rattlers are also found in W. TN, especially up around Kentucky Lake.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:06 PM

35,911 posts, read 30,458,873 times
Quote:
haha

Does that mean I get to leave work? Paid?
It alright with me. Im on my way out, but Im done.

Ive had a horse and a dog bit by snakes, but ive never had my dogs bite or horses kick a snake.LOL.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:34 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,021,356 times
[quote=2mares;3999686]

I think they call it dog days that snake will strike at anything that moves.

I'm sure all animals will have a bad hair-day at times, heck even a hoop snake rolling down the hill might hit a speed bump or tree......

Old 06-05-2008, 07:43 PM

445 posts, read 1,676,606 times
Default oh my goodness..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats kinda ridiculous, dont you think? First off, if you dont explain to people and show them how nice some of them are, they'll just take on the mindset that most dumb Americans do, and thats the KILL!KILL!KILL! mindset. Snakes are probably the most persecuted animal on earth, and by a long shot. Why? Because most people dont know a damn thing about them, mainly due to lack of education.

Yes, some non-venomous species can deliver painful bites, BUT WHAT ANIMAL DOESNT?!?! If youre going by that logic, you better train your kids to never pet a doggie, because one day they might approach a pitbull one day and get mauled to death, which is becoming a common occurance it seems. Even worse is when dogs like pitbulls or rottweilers attack out of nowhere, completely unprovoked. You see, snakes wont do that, they only bite when provoked. I spend A LOT of time looking for snakes and I can tell you that they would rather be left alone. And the bites they deliver (non-venomous species) are far less harmful than any cat or dog bite. Heck, theyre even less destructive than a good hamster bite. Ive handled a lot of snakes in my lifetime, know how many times Ive been bit? Not once. Once the snake realizes youre not a threat, they could care less. Ive been musked to the point where my wife has gagged, but not one single bite. And if you dont educate people about harmless/harmful snakes, harmless garters, browns, kings, corns, watersnakes, etc, get hacked to death simply out of stupidity.

And many instructors who bring out snakes to educate people with will most certainly tell the kids (even adults) that they still should not pick up snakes, and that they are professionals who can easily tell the difference. If some kid wants to pretend he's Steve Irwin (RIP) and rush out and try and handle snakes, thats his own prerogative. Cant say we didnt warn him.

Some of my many snake adventures:

Queen snake (Warrenville, IL)--Regina septemvittata:

Brown snake--Storeria dekayi:

Baby brown snake:

Redbelly snake:

Desert kingsnake:

Northern water snake-- Nerodia sipedon:

Neonate copperhead-- Agkistrodon contortrix:

Milksnake (Missouri specimen):

California kingsnake -- Lampropeltis getula californiae:

Snakes are wonderful creatures, very misunderstood, sadly persecuted. If people really got to know about snakes, they wouldnt fear them and might actually have some sympathy towards them. Many of them make wonderful pets, and are more docile than any bird/cat/dog, no joke.
beautiful yes..but I like looking at them in photos.. ONLY

Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM

445 posts, read 1,676,606 times
Default oh gosh

I didnt think quoting you would result in reposting all of your pictures...btw, that piece of meat one of them is eating wouldnt be your finger, would it?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,379,634 times
Nope, that would be a "pinkie" but not the finger type...it's a newborn baby mouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee