U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:25 AM

445 posts, read 1,626,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I always thought if possible, the advice would be to tourniquet the area.

(and I thought the cutting and sucking out the venom was a joke I remember from middle school... )

Since the venom is (i think) only a tiny amount it would seem that cutting open would allow it to perhaps absorb into tissues more quickly due to greater surface area...

I don't know the official word but I do recall part of it being cutting off the blood flow, and to keep your heart rate down to avoid quick spreading of whatever is freely circulating in the bloodstream...

It may be outdated advice, though.

NO SUCKING..it is not advised. Your mouth absorbs a lot and you can absorb the venom from your mouth. Best advice call 911 and use a tourniguet, stay calm (I would quietly freak out)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,154,480 times
In the Roane County News (which has really turned into quite a resource for us! lol) there's an article called "Snakes Alive" here:

http://www.lcni5.com/pages/specialse...reation/15.pdf

The statistics are VERY interesting, help put things in perspective, and should certainly put at ease anyone who's expecting to be killed by a venomous snake in Eastern Tennessee!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:04 AM

52 posts, read 210,699 times
I am in northern middle Tennessee and the other night when I was taking the dogs out for their good-night potty I almost walked into a baby copperhead who was chilling out on our cement driveway. It saw me before I saw it. It was still and for a moment I was still, then I started walking in the other direction, and it slithered off into the closest clump of tall grass. Luckily the dogs chose not to pursue it.
All it all, it couldn't have played out better, but it still shook me a bit. I am not a native, and have always been terrified of snakes. I haven't seen any more since and I sincerely hope it stays that way!
We live in a 10 year old home in a subdivision in the "city" - but our back yard ends in woods.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:14 AM

52 posts, read 210,699 times
I have a question. My family has been wanting to go to the Land Between the Lakes and get in the water. We would be taking a boat. I grew up on a lake (in Wisconsin), and I love the water, but part of me is TOTALLY freaked out about getting in the water because of the snakes. Can anyone give me the real deal about the snakes I would find (or rather, the snakes that would find me) in the water - especially away from the shore line?? I would really appreciate some good, accurate (first hand?) information.
Thanks!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:57 PM

286 posts, read 1,115,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn.Sunshine View Post
I have a question. My family has been wanting to go to the Land Between the Lakes and get in the water. We would be taking a boat. I grew up on a lake (in Wisconsin), and I love the water, but part of me is TOTALLY freaked out about getting in the water because of the snakes. Can anyone give me the real deal about the snakes I would find (or rather, the snakes that would find me) in the water - especially away from the shore line?? I would really appreciate some good, accurate (first hand?) information.
Thanks!
Tennessee, read carefully through the concurrent 'scary things in WI' thread.
This issue is addressed accurately.

The two creatures in WI that pose hazards to numbers of citizens are mosquitoes and ticks.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:02 PM

531 posts, read 1,564,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There are no poisonous snakes in Tennessee. Or the entire world for that matter...
I understand the point you are trying to make, however........
try telling that to anyone who has been bitten by one.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 AM

849 posts, read 2,850,182 times
What is this rascal? Saw him in the Chattanooga area...

He was at least 4 feet long.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:11 PM

531 posts, read 1,564,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
What is this rascal? Saw him in the Chattanooga area...
Looks like a king snake to me. One of the best to have around.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,955 times
Exclamation cross bred snakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
No, I'm not pulling your chain, just relaying a message that was told to me. I'm sure the possibility exists....

yes, its more than possible. have myself seen the copperhead/timber rattler crossbreed. and have heard of the rattler/black snake cross and been told that their venom is impure and there is no anti-venom yet? not 100% sure on that but i can say for sure they are cross-breeding!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:19 PM

196 posts, read 618,877 times
Just have like 20 large cats running around and you will be fine. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee