U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 86,197 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

Newbie Alert!
Well, I can't really narrow my questions down, so I'm going to leave it up to YOU!

I am interested in personal opinions, experiences, pros, cons, etc... about life in Morristown, TN.

I am exploring a few outlets there (business related) and just want to get a little bit of a "feel" of the place from the personal experiences of folk who currently live there.

About me: Young (37), female, BSc: Earth Science, no kids, divorced, - there's more, but that will do for now.

What's the social scene like?
Nightlife?
Economy (though me thinks this is bad all over)?
Employment?

Cheers in advance for the input!
Keep smiling~
H
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 PM

13,161 posts, read 37,750,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreolaMay View Post
Hi There!

Newbie Alert!
Well, I can't really narrow my questions down, so I'm going to leave it up to YOU!

I am interested in personal opinions, experiences, pros, cons, etc... about life in Morristown, TN.

I am exploring a few outlets there (business related) and just want to get a little bit of a "feel" of the place from the personal experiences of folk who currently live there.

About me: Young (37), female, BSc: Earth Science, no kids, divorced, - there's more, but that will do for now.

What's the social scene like?
Nightlife?
Economy (though me thinks this is bad all over)?
Employment?

Cheers in advance for the input!
Keep smiling~
H
You might start out by doing a search in this forum for comments about Morristown. Some people have said they love it, some people have said they hate it.

Morristown is in a beautiful setting: rolling hills, near some large lakes, lots of trees. The town itself is trying hard to shrug off its industrial image. It's a town with a lot of factories. From April 2007 to April 2008 Hamblen County (Morristown) lost 450 jobs, its unemployment rate rising from 4.0 percent to 5.3 percent.

Since it's a very blue collar factory town, wages tend to be pretty low. Some of the larger towns in the area, however, have higher wages and lower unemployment rates: Knox County's is 3.8 percent, Sullivan County's is 4.3 percent.

Morristown has seen a huge increase in its Hispanic population, the highest concentration in East Tennessee. Morristown is something like 15% Hispanic. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that, although some neighborhoods of Morristown have a Tijuana-like character in my opinion. I once met a Mexican family in Morristown--GREAT people--and they freely told me that for every legal Hispanic there is in Morristown, there are probably 5 illegals (the father of the family I met was illegal and twice had been deported to Mexico and twice managed to come back to Morristown where his wife and kids were). The wife told me that just about everyone at the factory where she worked was an illegal immigrant. But who knows. This was about 3 years ago so things might have changed since then.

Downtown Morristown, to me, looks like a town that was in its prime a long time ago back when people actually went downtown to go shopping and stuff. Then it went through a period when much of downtown was boarded up and empty. I think it's slowly coming back to life, though.

For social life, well, you might want to head to Knoxville for that. There's not a heck of a lot to do in Morristown. It does have a nice community college and some decent shopping for a town its size as well as a couple of nice golf courses. If you're not a church-goer, you might want to become one so you can meet more people. But for things like the symphony, Broadway shows, rock concerts, things like that, you'll probably have to come to Knoxville for that.

Depending where you're coming from, Morristown might seem like a breath of fresh air. Or it might seem like a dumpy redneck town. You should come down here for a long weekend and take a look for yourself.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:38 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,179,589 times
JMT gave you great points. I was also going to say that from what I've read on here, people either love Morristown or hate it. We looked at a house to buy in Morristown and I found out that Morristown covers a pretty big area. A lot of it is a country setting and the town is OK, nothing special.
It really is a place you need to visit and check out for yourself. Not to long ago, there was someone on here who grew up in Morristown and he disagreed with all of JMT's impressions. I happen to think JMT is calling it like it is or as it appears to some. I agree with his assessment, but I've only passed threw, never lived in Morristown. KWIM?
Pam

Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,461,171 times
I am going to second...or third all of the above comments. As a prior single divorcée (even though I have children) I will add that at the time of my single life, you could not pay me to go "paint the town red" in Morristown. There really is no place for single, or otherwise, to go and do in that town. It may be important to you, it may not, but M'town is dry, you won't find a bar or club.
You might want to look to either Knoxville or the Tri-Cities for both work and entertainment.
Just my $0.02

Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 PM

7,227 posts, read 16,076,790 times
I see you're from Picayune. It's sort of like Morristown. I'd either go west (Knoxville) or east (Tri-Cities).

Old 06-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Cheers for the information.

Hi Everyone!

Many thanks for the snap shots of Morristown , TN

I am driving up there tomorrow - will be there til the 21st. A pretty good length of time to get a feel of the place.

There is a nightclub in Morristown, TN - The DownTown: The DownTown

Site's a wee bit outdated, but the music line-up looks recent.

RE: Illegal Immigrants - I truly think this is a nationwide problem! What ye gonna do? Send them back? - they'll just end up back here again somehow. There is no simple solution here - well, not a legal one anyway.
(ouch - JMHO)

So if a census has reported 15% hispanic population and there are 5 illegal immigrants for every 1 "legal" immigrant - that's 15% x 5 = that's more like 75% hispanic - well not entirely true because of course that would mean more bodies per capita than the census report. But it would suggest a higher than 15% wedge of the pie.

Religion - I'd rather not go there if I can avoid it. I'm just not the sandle wearing bible beating type - Spiritual yes, Southern Babtist - um no. It's the same here in Picayune... but I digress.

Thanks again for all your input! Really appreciate it!
Gonna do a search of Morristown within the forum - good idea and not like me at all to have not done that first.

Keep smiling~
Hopie

Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Many thanks for the snap shots of Morristown , TN

I am driving up there tomorrow - will be there til the 21st. A pretty good length of time to get a feel of the place.

There is a nightclub in Morristown, TN - The DownTown: The DownTown

Site's a wee bit outdated, but the music line-up looks recent.

RE: Illegal Immigrants - I truly think this is a nationwide problem! What ye gonna do? Send them back? - they'll just end up back here again somehow. There is no simple solution here - well, not a legal one anyway.
(ouch - JMHO)

So if a census has reported 15% hispanic population and there are 5 illegal immigrants for every 1 "legal" immigrant - that's 15% x 5 = that's more like 75% hispanic - well not entirely true because of course that would mean more bodies per capita than the census report. But it would suggest a higher than 15% wedge of the pie.

Religion - I'd rather not go there if I can avoid it. I'm just not the sandle wearing bible beating type - Spiritual yes, Southern Babtist - um no. It's the same here in Picayune... but I digress.

Thanks again for all your input! Really appreciate it!
Gonna do a search of Morristown within the forum - good idea and not like me at all to have not done that first.

Keep smiling~
Hopie
Coming from Mississippi you might think Morristown is heaven on earth. It really is in a beautiful area. I went to Ole Miss, by the way, and I love Mississippi.

As for illegal immigrants being everywhere, that's not true. There are plenty of places around here that don't have many illegal immigrants. In East Tennessee they seem to have gravitated towards Morristown for some reason. And believe me, there are parts of Morristown that feel like they're 75% Hispanic. Head over to Greeneville, Kingsport, Johnson City, and other towns in East Tennessee and you'll notice the stark lack of Hispanics compared to Morristown.

And for the record, I live in a neighborhood here in Knoxville with a large Hispanic concentration. There's a Mexican grocery store and a Mexican clothing store one block from my house. I have no problems at all living around Hispanics. I just wanted you to know what awaits you in Morristown since it is so unlike any other small town in East Tennessee.

At any rate, I hope you have a wonderful trip! Be sure to let us know how it goes for you.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Cheers JMT!

Aye, my comment on Illegal Immigrants was a sweeping one.

Thanks again for the input! I guess I'm lucky in that my sister lives there - so I'll have a bit of a heads up on "the scene" - She and I are chalk and cheese our opinins differ greatly in some instances.

I don't have a problem with people of foreign origin - I grew up in New Mexico and Spanish was a required second language in school! I did not mean for my comments to appear "racist" or offend in that respect.

I will snoop around while I"m there and draw my own conclusions. But At least I've got some other opinions - and experiences from folk who currently live there.

Thanks again JMT - I will post again with a heads up.

Keep smiling~
Hope

Old 06-05-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Cheers JMT!

Aye, my comment on Illegal Immigrants was a sweeping one.

Thanks again for the input! I guess I'm lucky in that my sister lives there - so I'll have a bit of a heads up on "the scene" - She and I are chalk and cheese our opinins differ greatly in some instances.

I don't have a problem with people of foreign origin - I grew up in New Mexico and Spanish was a required second language in school! I did not mean for my comments to appear "racist" or offend in that respect.

I will snoop around while I"m there and draw my own conclusions. But At least I've got some other opinions - and experiences from folk who currently live there.

Thanks again JMT - I will post again with a heads up.

Keep smiling~
Hope
I love New Mexico! I spent a week out there last year and had a blast. It's beautiful. And the food is amazing!

With a sister here in East Tennessee it sounds like you'll be well cared for. Good luck on the trip!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:24 AM

7,227 posts, read 16,076,790 times
Quote:

Religion - I'd rather not go there if I can avoid it. I'm just not the sandle wearing bible beating type - Spiritual yes, Southern Babtist - um no. It's the same here in Picayune... but I digress
Keep smiling~
Hopie
Sounds like you're looking for a city smaller than Knoxville, by your interest in Morristown. Yet you seem progressive, too. I can't stress enough to also be taking a look at the Tri-Cities, especially Johnson City's South and West sides. You might find something of interest here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee