Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 10:35 AM

37,737 posts, read 40,783,268 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking with the gas situation a lot of people will be staying close to home on the July 4 holiday so tell us what your town, or surrounding towns are doing to celebrate July 4.

I've got two I want to post:

Oak Ridge

My own town of Oak Ridge will be having fireworks down by the lake. There will be wake-board competitions at 2:30P, (Note: I don't know what that is. ), music starting at 5PM and fireworks at 10:30P. Plus, there will be helicopter flyovers. Now, here's the good news, and trust me, this is really good news. You can park at Roane State Community College and shuttle buses will run continuously to take you to and from the lake. The college is located on Briarcliff.

Museum of Appalachia in Norris

There will be an old-fashioned July 4 celebration and anvil shoot on the Museum of Appalachia grounds. Now, I know you are thinking - What's an anvil shoot? Well, unlike wake boarding, I now know what this is. They put gunpowder under anvils and they jump up to 125 feet in the air. What will my friends, the chickens, think of this? That will be done periodically throughout the day. Other things that will be happening: traditional bands, bluegrass bands, dulcimer playing in the Hall of Fame, informal porch picking at log cabins, old-time church services and hymn singing, rail-splitting, cross-cut sawing, basket-making, whittling, corn grinding, sheep herding, quilting, and blacksmithing demonstrations, a Betsy Ross will tell the story of the first flag while sewing one. There will be patriotic ceremonies led by the Sons of the Revolution including the National Bell Ringing Ceremony at 2 p.m. in conjunction with the national event and a Liberty Pole Raising will re-enact Revolutionary War protests against British rule.

Then, we'll all go to Norris Lake and throw gasoline in the water to protest high gas prices. (only kidding, I added that one about the gasoline, myself )

There will also be old-fashioned cake walks (?) with proceeds benefitting the Museum's Endowment Fund. Other food includes Tennessee barbeque, hot fruit cobblers baked over coals in Dutch ovens, homemade ice cream, freshly brewed sassafras tea, roasted corn on the cob, freshly squeezed lemonade, fried green tomatoes, and watermelon.

The Museum has an admission. Check their website closer to the event to see ticket prices and which events will happen at what time.

Now the Museum is open as early as 8:30A so I'm thinking if you live in the area, you could actually hit the Museum early in the day and head over to the lake in Oak Ridge later in the day.

Let's just hope it's not 95 - 100 degrees on July 4.

So, what's happening in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 AM

7,500 posts, read 17,105,101 times
In Johnson City, come to Freedom Hall for a huge party with live music, lots of overpriced food and a good light show when it gets dark. But be warned... it usually takes at least an hour to leave because of traffic backup. It might be better to park at one of the outposts and take a shuttlebus to the site.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
In Johnson City, come to Freedom Hall for a huge party with live music, lots of overpriced food and a good light show when it gets dark. But be warned... it usually takes at least an hour to leave because of traffic backup. It might be better to park at one of the outposts and take a shuttlebus to the site.
Sometimes if people just want to see fireworks there are places to be that aren't at the location but where you still see a good show in the sky. Can you see the fireworks from another place without going to where the food and music is?

My town didn't do fireworks last year so I don't know if there is another place where you can see them without being in the crowd.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:12 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,854,876 times
Thumbs up SODDY-DAISY Car Show, Music, etc

L.C. The lake front car show has a few hundred entries, Music, food, night fireworks. ONe of the best small town days. Not sure of the exact day this year. Car for sale parts vendors, etc. loTS OF BOATS in cove.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:17 PM

380 posts, read 1,173,438 times
I don't live in Dunlap, but I often go to Dunlap for their July 4th parade, followed by music, games, pony rides, and food vendors on the courthouse lawn. Just a good old fashioned small town celebration.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:54 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,235,098 times
Just found out, Diamond Rio is giving a free concert in Rogersville for their 4th of July celebration this year. That little town sure does put on a HUGE event every year. They have the at least 45 minute fire works display too!

Old 06-14-2008, 01:37 PM

I wonder who reads CD. I saw a local ad for our fireworks that explained what wake boarding is.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:50 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,335,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I wonder who reads CD. I saw a local ad for our fireworks that explained what wake boarding is.
You would be surprised at who all reads this board!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,142,889 times
Heading to Kingston for the 4th. They have a pretty nice fireworks display and its right on the lake so it makes for awesome pictures. Well worth the drive for me.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
I don't live in Dunlap, but I often go to Dunlap for their July 4th parade, followed by music, games, pony rides, and food vendors on the courthouse lawn. Just a good old fashioned small town celebration.
I love parades and agree about small town celebrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee