Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 04:53 PM

211 posts, read 290,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
Don't take this the wrong way but if you have a thick NJ accent, you might want to lose it...fast. This is still the south and a NJ or NY accent may not be welcomed with open arms.

Having moved from Florida I'm "accent free" with no specific dialect but I still get "You ain't frum 'round here, are ya'?". Once I tell people I'm from Florida they seem okay with that but there is still some north v.south mentality around here.
In Williamson nearly everyone is from other places of the country, so nobody cares. Especially Franklin, the majority of people were not born there. I can see if you're living in one of those cities in TN that are in the middle of nowhere but I've never been off 40/840 on my ways to TN's major cities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 9,004 times
Have you made your move to Lawrenceburg yet? If not, please contact the Chamber of Commerce. A relocation packet will be sent to you with valuable information.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM

13 posts, read 70,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908sunshine View Post
my husband is being relocated to a facility near lawrenceburg tennessee. can anyone give me information on towns within a 45 min drive north that are nice new homes with great schools? i know nothing about tennessee and am really worried about making the move from new jersey to tennessee. is their anyone who has moved from nj to tn and survived? im really really apprehensive about this!
thanks!
I moved from Atlanta, GA to Waynesboro, TN in 1999. It is 39 miles East of Waynesboro. The culture shock was tremendous! It took me several years to learn to appreciate the area. Lawrenceburg is an extremely small town and not really a growing town. However, the school system is good to excellent. There are dance academies for the little ones. Lots of churches. Little League. Piano lessons avbl. A little Theater. The drive to Florence, AL/Muscle Shoals, AL is about 40 miles. It's a growing town with a lot offered. The people here are the biggest assets...they're wonderful. Columbia is the largest TN town close to L'burg. Just North of there is Franklin and Cool Springs and I love that area. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908sunshine View Post
my husband is being relocated to a facility near lawrenceburg tennessee. can anyone give me information on towns within a 45 min drive north that are nice new homes with great schools? i know nothing about tennessee and am really worried about making the move from new jersey to tennessee. is their anyone who has moved from nj to tn and survived? im really really apprehensive about this!
thanks!
If you do make the move, please, PLEASE leave NJ behind and don't take it with you (especially NJ's voting habits - a love for the nanny state). I live in NJ and plan on moving to TN with my family.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:32 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
NO need to give her voting advice. She posted here in May of last year and hasn't been back, LOL!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:19 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Question question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
If you do make the move, please, PLEASE leave NJ behind and don't take it with you (especially NJ's voting habits - a love for the nanny state). I live in NJ and plan on moving to TN with my family.
It's nice to have people from all over. Why should a person change their opinions?.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
Ok let's be honest....the only place within a 45 minute drive of Lawrenceburg is Columbia TN (which is ghetto) or Florence, AL. Which is a small college city about 50 miles south. Lawrenceburg itself has good schools. Not great, but not bad. I was born and raised in L'burg and I can tell you I would rather be there than in the snooty, lifeless, sterile, stepford-wives southern suburbs of Nashville that I am in now. There is no industry left in L'burg and the economy is poor. The only major factory left and I hear another major is about to.
I will tell you that anything East on 64 between L'burg and Pulaski is nice. Pulaski is about 17 miles East and has interstate access to I65 so you can get to Nashville or Huntsville.
People in L'burg are nice, very conservative and don't like change. If you blend in with that then you'll do fine. VERY family oriented.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
It's nice to have people from all over. Why should a person change their opinions?.
I would never tell anyone to change their opinions, I'd only offer up mine and leave it at that. My opinion is that one should be careful about moving from one environment to another, particularly when they are close to being polar opposites. Plus the fact that NJ seems to be a state that an inordinate amount of people want to get out of (check the forum. It's kinda sad). It doesn't seem like the place Tenneseeans would like their state to turn into. Only they can offer up their opinion on that.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:16 PM

665 posts, read 1,925,921 times
Just for me, I am trying to get out of Jersey because its expensive and I live at the shore and it is gettting crowded. If I move to Tennesee,I am going to respect the way things are done there not what I think it should be .I have visited and am going to again. I found the people very pleasant.I feel where ever you travel -move you should respect their ways .

Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Exactly. There really isn't alot of difference. If people are polite and respectful-that's a big plus IMO. Especially for anyone who ever lived in NYC or S. Florida.

sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee