Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times

Advertisements

beautifull pictures!!!!!!!!!

I only have one question regarding setting that new wood post in concrete
--"we used 160 pounds of concrete in this hole"-

I was always told by builders never to fill in post holes with concrete ( as compared to soil) cuz a post set in concrete rots quickly.
That was the explanation builders gave when I had my pole barn built and asked them if they ever set the poles in concrete.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
beautifull pictures!!!!!!!!!

I only have one question regarding setting that new wood post in concrete
--"we used 160 pounds of concrete in this hole"-

I was always told by builders never to fill in post holes with concrete ( as compared to soil) cuz a post set in concrete rots quickly.
That was the explanation builders gave when I had my pole barn built and asked them if they ever set the poles in concrete.
I'm not really sure about that. All I know is when we set the poles in soil they become loose very quickly. We also use PT poles for our fences and gates so they should hold up better. Sometimes we just can't go deep enough since we don't have an auger. We have to go back and reset a lot of our poles that we didn't use concrete in. So far we haven't had any of the wood rot at our old farm because of the concrete. Wood poles eventually rot anyway whether you use cement or not. I guess it's a matter of preference, how deep you can dig your hole, the type of soil you have, and your experience.

We had old poles at our old farm in concrete that were set about 25 years ago and they were still ok. If I get 25 years from a pole I will be happy. I also could be dead, lol.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
Love the photo of the fog rolling in - really beautiful!
Noticed in a few of the photos that both of you are smiling while you are working...just another day in paradise!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 30,805 times
Will you post a pic of her kitchen or if she has a blog, a link?
I finally posted my pics on Facebook
Login | Facebook
if anyone cares to view and offer advise or otherwise
Lisa, I am just in love with your mountain view and wildlife. Perhaps one day dear husband and I will get to move to a place with a view. I have already started looking at small cabins that we could build ourselves. I have gotten pretty handy with electrical work as well as working on my plumbing skills. I have to say I am not a fan of crawling under the house nor in the attic though. Keep the good stuff coming

Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
-----I also could be dead"--

as youthfull and busy as you are in the pictures, you will probably be "going strong" 25 years from now

Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
You're picture of fog rollin' in is awesome. We were in TN this past week and experienced the sunny days, foggy days, rainy days and cold wind. But, all in all, we had a great time in TN. Still look forward to your weekly logs. You two are amazing.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:24 AM

300 posts, read 1,456,079 times
Out of all of those beautiful pictures, one remains embedded in my brain and all I can think is...

Man....that farm (I reckon the old one) sure has some good lookin' dirt!!!!!

Seeing all the pics of you guys out working, getting things done, makes me anxious to get things settled here so me and Chris can get back at it. It certainly feels good huh?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM

821 posts, read 2,012,017 times
Lisa, my husband puts concrete mix around all his corner post and brace post also
but he gets the telephone poles and cuts them (they have been treated with something)
he has an a thing on the back of his tractor that digs the holes then cleans out with post hole diggers by hand, puts the pole in and pours the dry concrete mix down around the pole and tamps it down with this very heavy long metal bar thingy, after adding a few bags and tamping it down, he stretches the wire (he does it with his tractor to get it tight) and then the rain and moisture in the ground will set the concrete and no waiting for it to get hard
try that on one of your post you do (put the mix in dry) and see how it goes

Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I'm not really sure about that. All I know is when we set the poles in soil they become loose very quickly. We also use PT poles for our fences and gates so they should hold up better. Sometimes we just can't go deep enough since we don't have an auger. We have to go back and reset a lot of our poles that we didn't use concrete in. So far we haven't had any of the wood rot at our old farm because of the concrete. Wood poles eventually rot anyway whether you use cement or not. I guess it's a matter of preference, how deep you can dig your hole, the type of soil you have, and your experience.

We had old poles at our old farm in concrete that were set about 25 years ago and they were still ok. If I get 25 years from a pole I will be happy. I also could be dead, lol.

Howdy Sister/Brother L&M.....................

imho, Many times i wood drill some holes in bottom of 5 gallon plastic bucket(drainage), put in a little 3/4" minus rock (gravel) on bottom, set in fence post add more rock, then dirt. (i also use these buckets to grow tomatoes on deck).

Sometimes i use my Stihl to cut small dead/alive trees & bushes off parallel to the ground at the base. Some i put in the basspond to provide cover fer small fish (fingerlings).

ALL your pictures are surely Mighty Beautiful.......................

Have a Great Evening.........................

Old 03-16-2009, 03:12 PM

64 posts, read 234,348 times
The picture of the fog rolling in is great! We live in Guntersville, AL, and we are lucky enough to see this too, the fog over the mountains and the lake. I always enjoy watching the fog roll in over the mountains.
Have a great week, Lisa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee