Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 AM

18 posts, read 127,822 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon, Young Lisa and Mike:

We gotta agreee with Piper; just reading last week's accomplishments tuckered us out. Are you planning on mowing that patch you seeded? If not, for $10/500ft2, you could add some native meadow flowers. Here's a link: Wildflower Seeds, Flower Bulbs, Wildflower Seed, Bulbs, Wildflowers, Perennials (http://www.americanmeadows.com/WildflowerSeeds - broken link)

As usual, thanks for another peek at your beautiful, busy world. Wish we were there...

Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Howdy L&M.......................

Everything is lookin' Reel Beautiful.....................

Sister Lisa ThankYou fer the Beautiful picture of the white catfish & other fish, reel beauties...................................... ...................

How deep is the front pond in the middle??
What is the depth of the back pond??...........................

Sis, yuu should be wearing some football cleats on the side of those hills, or sumthin'............................ ....................................Be Safe/Careful

Have a Beautiful Day.........................

Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,542 times
Lisa-- Did you put the curlex down to stop birds from eating the seed? I have a terrible lawn at the house in Guntersville and was thinking about just seeding it too, it is a fairly small area, just want a small area of grass for our dogs to be able to use.....Thanks!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Kat- Thanks. You're a sweetie. Mike and I are crossing our fingers on the property but property doesn't sell too fast here.

Geezers- We are not planning on mowing that side of the hill. I hope David was right and what we planted won't grow too tall. Thank you for the link. I love wildflowers.

Hawk- The front pond is about 8 feet deep. That pond is a beautiful pond. That was the only thing the previous owner did right on that land. You couldn't believe how bad that land was when we bought it. It was a disaster. We have too many fish in that pond. When we have the pond dug out over here Mike and I will transfer some fish.

The back pond is only about 3 feet deep. That one should be dug out more.

Yeah I need something to keep me from sliding down that hill, lol.

GBoomer- Normally on "flat" land we rake it, seed it, and put straw on top to hold the moisture. We use the curlex on the hills to keep the seed in place. Otherwise most of the seed will end up at the bottom of the hill from a good gust of wind. You should be able to just rake some seed in and cover with straw at your place and keep it watered. Good point about the birds. I imagine straw and curlex does limit the birds stealing the seed.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Lisa - Congrats on your 3000th post!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 PM

134 posts, read 1,221,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Piperspal-

Thanks for writing in. Yes I have taken some pictures facing the house but that was a long time ago. Within the next month we will be working on the patio and some landscaping so I will have more pictures soon.

Years ago we had a telescope but we sold everything when we sold our last house. Mike has a small pair of binoculars that he likes. I'm sure he would love a telescope.

Have a great day.

Lisa
Lisa, thanks for a pleasant read on a dismal rainy day in TX. I may not respond to every update but I certainly look forward to reading each and every one each Monday morning. Sometimes I find myself checking for an early update on a Sunday night. Your views are so breathtaking and your and Mike's energy are unmatched. You certainly have created a reason for looking forward to the otherwise dreaded Mondays.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM

11 posts, read 84,105 times
Lisa and Mike,

Thank you again for sharing your story with us! I really appreciate you guys! Your wonderful story telling skills and beautiful pictures make me feel like we're neighbors.

Please be careful! We live in Mid-TN and I know that the ground can be treacherous when wet.

Take care and have a great week!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Kat- Thanks. You're a sweetie. Mike and I are crossing our fingers on the property but property doesn't sell too fast here.

Geezers- We are not planning on mowing that side of the hill. I hope David was right and what we planted won't grow too tall. Thank you for the link. I love wildflowers.

Hawk- The front pond is about 8 feet deep. That pond is a beautiful pond. That was the only thing the previous owner did right on that land. You couldn't believe how bad that land was when we bought it. It was a disaster. We have too many fish in that pond. When we have the pond dug out over here Mike and I will transfer some fish.

The back pond is only about 3 feet deep. That one should be dug out more.

Yeah I need something to keep me from sliding down that hill, lol.

GBoomer- Normally on "flat" land we rake it, seed it, and put straw on top to hold the moisture. We use the curlex on the hills to keep the seed in place. Otherwise most of the seed will end up at the bottom of the hill from a good gust of wind. You should be able to just rake some seed in and cover with straw at your place and keep it watered. Good point about the birds. I imagine straw and curlex does limit the birds stealing the seed.

Good Mornin' L&M & all the good folks..............................

About four lustrums ago when i had our pond dug out of a shallow valley area they went down to where it was about 20' in the middle, then i added about 5' of clay & fill dirt to the bank & an overflow pipe to some small frogponds. The water comes from artesian springs............

Back then i did a lot of research on ponds. I read somewhere that to have a balanced pond u should put in 15 to 25 baitfish(bluegill,perch,brim,etc) to every predator fish(bass,etc). It's a Great idea to have a thriving crawdad population too................

Have a Wonderful Day Y'all.......................

Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM

12 posts, read 50,989 times
I too look forward to reading your post on Monday. Thank you so much for giving me something to look forward too on a Monday.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
kat- Thanks for the congrats.

mOOse- Thank you for writing in. I'm so glad you are still following our story. It's been a long time since we've heard from you.

TNDadx4- I will be careful with any slipping.

Hawk- Your pond sounds beautiful and having artesian springs is fantastic. Your fish are very lucky to have you. Would you like to visit and help us with our new pond, lol?

jamac-I'm glad you now like Mondays.

Have a great weekend.
Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee