Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 05:03 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,627,230 times

Advertisements

Lisa, reading your post is the high point of my Monday evenings. I'm really impressed by how much you've accomplished in the last year. I can't wait to see what year two brings! Keep up the good work!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 PM

266 posts, read 864,184 times
beautiful!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 AM

45 posts, read 177,547 times
Lisa, I found your thread this past weekend. Reading it resulted in my staying up till 4 am and 6 am the past 2 nights (mornings??) to read your story. It is almost 6 am now. I envy Mike's and your dedication, energy, and sense of adventure in trying new things. I've enjoyed all of it from reading/watching the land being cleared to your planting your garden. I've especially enjoyed the episodes with the animals: turkeys, deer, the cows (especially 98 and the new calves), and the obviously spoiled Nikki. I looked at most of the sites responders sent to you. You had a chance to get cows on your etched transoms, but you passed on them.

I do have a couple of questions which you may or may not choose to answer. I bought my first house in Deep Gap, NC (for $49,500) in 1992 when I was still working in Miami. I sold that one because I got so tired of the curving road from Powder Horn Mountain to Boone. Unlike you, I seldom cook so I went to Boone to eat. I now own one in Ashe County.

Before I bought the one in West Jefferson, I checked out Mountain City. You keep saying the other property is about a mile from "town". Is that the "town" you mention all the time? When you go to Lowes, is it the one in Boone? I know you make the trek to Bristol, VA, when you want to go to Sam's, but that's too far to go to Lowes as often as you need to get materials.

From your posts and someone's mention of Stone Mountain Road, I'm assuming that gorgeous piece of property you own is near Trade. Of course, it could also be near Roan Mountain. Is it north or south of Mountain City? I'm guessing you're not telling where it is because you don't really want any more people moving to your area. I feel that way about my small town in central FL, but the politicians think they must build more houses in FL so we can get more people paying outrageous property taxes and insurance bills. I also feel that way about Ashe County. I don't want more people moving there.

One of the reasons I envy you is because Mike and you are not only self-suffient on your forty acres, but you also are sufficient unto yourselves. You're happy just being in each other's company. Lucky you!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:59 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,280,376 times
Granny Sue- Yes I am so thankful Mike can do so many things. Every once in awhile we do have "Tim the Toolman" moments, lol.

Tinman- The past 3 mights I had to cover the garden with a blanket because it got so cold. Tonight I put a bird net across it. Hopefully that will work.

Sunnydee- Thank you for writing in.

twighlight- Welcome.

galena- Thank you for reading our story and writing in. You are close. We do go to the Lowe's in Boone and that's all I'm saying, lol. You are lucky you have a Lowe's and a Super Walmart in your town. I would be in heaven.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,362,267 times
Quote: Tin Man- The past 3 mights I had to cover the garden with a blanket because it got so cold. Tonight I put a bird net across it. Hopefully that will work.

Make sure the net is small enough so a mole or a chipmunk can't get threw.... Skunks love the blossoms of squash.....

Old 05-23-2009, 09:46 PM

7 posts, read 21,558 times
Hi Younglisa! Read over all the posts last night. This is exactly what me/my husband are planning on doing one day (hopefully sooner than later.) Your story is very inspirational and helped make our decision on what to do in the future. Your husband sounds like my husband, very, very useful and knows how to do a lot of things already (more like Al than Tool Man Taylor though.)

Hope you keep writing your chapters, you have such an interesting life.

Kelly

Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Quote:
Make sure the net is small enough so a mole or a chipmunk can't get threw.... Skunks love the blossoms of squash.....
Thank you Tinman. I never thought about skunks.

tdgirl-Welcome and Thank you for writing in. You are very lucky o have such a talented husband. Best of luck to you following your dreams.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Chapter 55 Part 1 Week of 5-18-09

Hi everyone. It has been such a busy week here that I have to split this chapter into a part one and a part two.

Monday 5-18
It is freezing out this morning. Isn't this May, lol? I have been covering my poor little veggie plants and seeds at night.

Mike talked with our grader, Jimmy, this morning to see if he was coming over to work today. He said he got backed up because of the rain last week so he can be here on Wednesday.

The next call Mike makes is to our concrete man, Jim. He said he could squeeze us in between a couple of jobs to do our walls and patio. He will be here on Wednesday and Thursday. Uh oh that means we have to get the block out before then so Mike has to call Jimmy our grader back. Mike told him the situation and Jimmy says "no problem I'll re-schedule my guys and make sure you have the track hoe and some help tomorrow. What a guy. Jimmy always comes through for us.

Finally after getting all the contractors lined up Mike and I venture out of the house. First we stop at the dump and on the way back we stop in at the Farm Supply. I decided to buy the pressure canner that they have because I'm afraid if I wait too long they will be sold out.

We talked to David and his daughters for awhile. They are planning a "huge" garden. They are doing 3 or 4 big gardens. They are all pretty funny to listen to because the girls both said they wanted a smaller garden than they had last year. Well David tilled up more land this year, lol. It looks like they are going to be very busy. Now that I have a pressure canner I told them I'd be more than happy to take any extra vegetables off their hands. They said no problem.

It starts to get a little warmer and Mike says we should go over and mow the other property in case we get stuck with all the contractors and can't get there this week. Sounds like a plan so we load up the trailer and head out.
It must have rained really hard here. The ground is saturated. Oh well we will just have to do the best we can. After about an hour I was up by the road weed eating and Mike comes along with the mower. Next thing I hear is this really load sound. Uh oh Mike hit something with the mower blades. It turns out he hit a stump that he has never hit before. He hit it this time because the ground was so saturated that the mower sunk in lower. Sure enough he bent the blade.

Oh well. Time to go home and fix the mower. We make it home and Mike takes the mower off the trailer. He puts our homemade ramps under the front wheels and I help him unbolt the blades.

Finally we get them off and Mike bangs out the dent, sharpens them, and we put them back on the mower.

While Mike was sharpening the blades I started moving some of our leftover wood and tools away from the building. We need to clean up the yard so the track hoe and trucks can fit in here and move the buildings around tomorrow.

It's supposed to be 32 degrees tonight so Mike helps me cover the plants.

Tuesday- 5-19
Woo hoo. Today is a big day. Mike and I get up at 6:30am(which is so unlike us, lol) to get ready to help out today.

Well it turns out we ended up waiting on the contractor but that's ok because at least he showed up. One of Jimmy's workers, Eric, showed up and brought the track-hoe to the top. Woo hoo the "big boy" is here.

First on the agenda is to pull out all the block from the front of the house. We put all the blocks in originally to hold the dirt and keep the hill from washing away. Unfortunately between the weight of the dirt, the rain, snow, freezing, and warming temps. the blocks slid forward. Another lesson learned. If you do a berm house make sure you "pour the wings."

Mike tells Eric to start on the left side of the house. Mike wants him to pull these block out from the top so that Eric doesn't have to ride over our septic tank and gas line.

Mike is hooking the chain to the block.

Eric turns the track-hoe and brings the block to the top.

He will stack all the block up top and later they will load it up into a dump truck and haul it out of here.

After about 5 trips back and forth the last block from the first side is coming out.

Onto the other side. This time Eric has to bring the track-hoe down front because the solar panels are in the way.

Taking the first block out on the second side.

Mike hooks the chain to a half block and Eric starts to lift it. Uh oh, it's a miss and they lose the block and it starts to roll. Oops!! Thankfully it didn't hit the house and no damage was done.

It seems like we disturbed the home of a little mouse. He is really cute "as long as he stays outside, lol."

Now that Mike and Eric are closer to having all the block removed I need to hustle. Both of our shipping containers have to be completely empty so that they can be moved. Oh yeah did I tell all of you Mike changed his mind? He didn't like how far out our green container was so now he doesn't want to do the "covered garage" plan.

We are going to swap the containers. First we have to pull the green container out. Then we are going to put the gray container where the green container was but we are going to turn it in the other direction. Does this seem a little familiar to you? That's because this is where we had the gray container "originally" last summer, lol.

Ok, back to emptying the buildings. We hooked up one trailer to the Jeep and hooked the other trailer to the 4-wheeler and we backed them both up to the gray building. This will make it easier to get everything out of the way.

Mike and I are just about done when reinforcements arrive. It's Randy 1 and Randy 2 to with a dump truck for the block. They are also here to help move the buildings. This time we know how to move the shipping container the easy way. The guys hook up the chains to the top of the green building and attach it to the track-hoe.

Randy is able to lift the whole building with no trouble. Cool. I love the power of big machines.

Now that the green container is out of the way it's time to move the gray one. They can't lift it yet because the gray one is too close to the fence.

Here they are pulling the gray container out.

This is organized chaos. I have to show all of you what this looks like from the top. I hike up the back hill to take a picture of our yard. We are so lucky we made this much flat land last year, lol. The buildings kind of look like 2 trains.

Once the gray building is out of the way they lift up the green one and carry it back to spot.

We put it on the piers and level it. Yay one container is done. Next we go back to the gray building. The spot needs a quick re grade because we are now turning the building the other way. That gets done and the chains a hooked again. They lift the gray building, set it on the block, and get it leveled.

Yeah. Both building are moved and are in their final(I hope) locations and leveled. Woo hoo.

Just as we are finishing up Jimmy shows up to check on things. He is just in time to help us move the big wind generator, lol. Of course the breeze picks up as soon as we are ready to take it down.

We get the chains hooked to the pole and the track-hoe.

Jimmy and I stay on the ground to help guide the pole when Randy pulls it out with the track-hoe. Mike is on top of the track-hoe making sure the blades don't get damaged. With the power of the track-hoe, the wind generator, pole (concrete and all), is lifted right out of the ground. We get it down and Mike and I take it apart.

We decided we are going to use just the solar panels. The wind generator produced power for us during the nights in the winter when it was windy out but it wasn't consistently windy enough to produce much power. We would be better off with more panels if needed but I think we are just fine. Right now the panels can get us through 5 days with no sun so we are happy with that. The panels are also easier to maintain and we don't have to worry about them falling over, lol.

Now that everyone is gone we can start putting everything back into the buildings. Mike is in charge of the gray building and I get the green building. It's been a long day so for now we just want to get it all inside in case it rains.

Wednesday 5-20
Today is the day our concrete crew is supposed to show to do the footers for the walls. Mike starts out by digging out the hill by the house. The concrete crew needs 4 feet to put the footer in.

Mike is digging out the dirt.

All the block is gone and we are ready for the concrete crew. So much for last weeks picture of the front of the house, lol.

Unfortunately we get a call and the crew won't be here until tomorrow. That really stinks because because Jimmy got over here last minute to help us with the buildings so we would be ready. Oh well at least we got it all done.

Mike and I go up top and finish cleaning the yard area. We load up all of the wood onto the trailer and take it to the barn. On the way we stop off at the burn pile and we get rid of some of the real junk pieces. Now you know it has to be real junk because Mike and I never get rid of anything, lol.

Here is the yard all nice and neat except for the tore up grass.

Mike and I spent the remainder of the day organizing the buildings and grading and raking the yard.

Well I am going to stop here so this part of the story doesn't become too long. We are in good shape for the concrete crew. I hope you all enjoyed this first part of the chapter.

Have a great week and I will write again next Monday.

Lisa

P.S. Sorry for all the words in this story. Mike hates my stories when it is just too much reading, lol. I'll have more pictures and less words next time, lol.

Last edited by ylisa7; 05-24-2009 at 09:20 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 10:12 PM

821 posts, read 2,005,284 times
I love the mouse picture with it's ears sticking up

Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,118,045 times
Thanks for the update tell Mike when you put in the words as well as the pics you are "talking" to us. Bringing us in closer for a more detailed conversation. Now don't you wish all us readers would get off our duffs and help ya all out?

I don't try to be an armchair contractor but................. why didn't you re-use those cement blocks? For driveway pavers, foundation floor of your patio, under the moving buildings, stacked together to make you a little cold storage unit or a real cement pond like Ellie Mae only a primitive one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee