Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 09:24 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times

Advertisements

Lisa & Mike! Whoo Hoo on your over 2,000,000! Wow! WTG and very well deserved!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:29 PM

17 posts, read 48,133 times
I started reading this thread and reading all the posts last month. Then I realized there were simply too many posts to read other than lisa's.

Even just reading all those alone, this took a LONG time. This is really good stuff. You should compile a book on this as a "How to".

Why isn't this a "sticky" in here?

It's the best thing so far in the Tennesee section, or most state's forum sections.

Question: You don't talk much about snakes. Don't you have any out there? And have you planned ahead when critters start nibbling in your garden?

Keep up the good work!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:45 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Nice pics and update as always! Gee I subscribe to this thread so I never am on the TN forum to see the view count. That is way cool that has to be the highest possibly on C-D maybe a mod can find out what it is and share.

That little notch out bed area off your patio would make a fine cutting garden for cooking herbs.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Good morning. It's busy around here.

Thank you all for your input on our paint colors. I'm glad you all like the one that we are going to put on the house.

Josh- Good catch. Yes Mike did put screening over the vents. Sometimes I don't get everything in the pics and story.

Niki likes to lounge on the patio.

CA Sweet Pea and Kygman- Thank you for the help with the computer. That works with Firefox but on Firefox I can't load my pictures. So I had to go back to Internet Explorer. Now I just have to reload Spellcheck. Ugg.

hiknapster- Thanks for the info. I did get "Putting Food By" as well as the "Ball" book. Hopefully I can get some canning done.

Caroleg- I will see if I can find some type of diagram for you or I will make one of our system and post it on Monday. It might be very confusing if you have never done electrical before. I know when I watch Mike work I am in awe of his knowledge of things. Not that he is perfect all the time(well to me he is) but he really understands how things work.

Granny Sue- You're welcome. I'm glad you are enjoying our story. I try to give details because I know some of the things we do are differerent. Mike makes fun when I take a picture of a "t-post" and then tell everyone "this is a t-post". I tell him "hey I never heard of a t-post 12 years ago so why not share, lol?"

aiangel_writer-Thank you for writing in and I am happy that you like our story so much. I am very excited about my "little girl" garden, as I call it, and I can't wait to try some canning.

Kygman- You're right I don't think I have to worry about the neighbors seeing if I strippped out of my nasty clothes. But.....if they have binoculars they would see. That reminds me of a story from our old farm years ago. Mike and I were on the patio having coffee and a small plane flew overhead. Mike says "I know who that is, lets moon him." Sure. We were younger, fun, and a little crazy so why not. So we both stood up and mooned the plane. Well a couple of weeks later we ran into him. Mike asked if he saw us that day. He said "that wasn't me". Oops. I guess someone got a big surprise that day, lol.

TheGeezers- Welcome back. I have no idea if 2 million reads is a record but that is a lot of people. Way to go everyone.

We will have to put some thought into the back lawn. It is going to be a big flat area. Bigger than we ever anticipated.

Sunnnydee and Kat- Thank you for being a part of our 2 million reads.

Awaiting-Welcome. I am so glad you read our story. It is a lot to take in. Ha, ha with all of our learning experiences we could, in some cases, do a "How To" and in other cases do a "How Not To" book, lol. It has been an amazing experience for Mike and I and I am so happy to be able to share.

I'm not sure why it isn't a sticky. I never asked for that. You need to talk to SMG or mbMouse for that, our fine TN moderators.

Actually the day before I saw my first snake here and he was tiny. We don't seem to have hardly any snakes on this property. Could it be becasue of the cows? Our other property has some but still no a lot of snakes which I am very thankful for. They don't bother me but I couldn't tell if one was poisonous or not.

Next year I might put a cage around my garden. So far I don't have any critters in the garden. I'm hoping it's because there is so much "food" around for them in the woods. Now if I could just figure out what is nibbling on some of my vegetable leaves I would be in good shape.

Jaxson- Thank you for the congratulations.

I really like the idea about some herbs in the front garden but Mike is all for something else. I can't complain though becasue he did help me build my garden boxes and next year I will have another one. Woo hoo.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 39,170 times
I spent all day reading this! Wonderful! Thank You so much for sharing your life with us!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 52,517 times
Lisa , I'm sure you've seen those sunsetter awnings that they advertise on tv . You can get hand crank ones or motorized ones . One of those might work for your patio .

Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Va Hillbilly View Post
Lisa , I'm sure you've seen those sunsetter awnings that they advertise on tv . You can get hand crank ones or motorized ones . One of those might work for your patio .
The house my step daughter and her husband bought here has one of those and it's great! We thought, like it shows on the commercial, the bottom of the legs were attached to the bottom of the wall and came out at an angle that we thought would be in the way. The legs are just attached to brackets at the bottom of the wall, and can be unhooked from the brackets and set in brackets on the floor at a 90 degree angle. It does cut down on the heat!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 23,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Va Hillbilly View Post
I saw a commercial for that on tv the other day and thought of Lisa and Mike too!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
I think a pergola over the patio would be awesome and once creeping/climbing plants were established, it would be an awesome place to lounge in.
Pam

Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Thank you all for the suggestions for some shade on our patio. We have considered the awnings but we just haven't made a decision yet. Maybe after we get the plants in and get the trim re done and the house re painted. Ahh the list is never ending, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee