Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Lisa we need lots of garden pics ya know.
I promise to give you lots of garden pictures. I would love to hear some of your garden tips since I know you have a lot of garden experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I agree! I will have to "garden vicariously" thru you since my gardening kills are non-existent!

Did y'all find a stove yet?
We went to the stove store today. They are really expensive. There is a used one in the paper for less than half price. It's a good deal...just have to see why they are selling it.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I'd love to have one of those new semi-commercial looking stoves. Big heavy grates with a griddle and extra large burners, I wonder if some of those require upgrading your gas service (larger). You using LP Lisa?? If I had a raised garden I could grow anything!! Almost!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
Dh called this am, and said that not only are all the native dogwoods in bloom, but that my lilics are budding up. I really miss them - lilacs, as far as I know, won't do very well over here on the volcanic rock I live upon!

Some woodstoves are very expensive, and then you get hit with the cost of the piping which is quite a bit too. We went with Jotul Oslos, but they are not inexpensive. Still have an old now discontinued Sweet Home, which is probably the best one I've ever had, and it was reasonably priced (20+ years ago). I'd also considered a Lopi, years ago, and as I recall, it was a nice woodstove, probably more reasonable than the Jotul.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I'd love to have one of those new semi-commercial looking stoves. Big heavy grates with a griddle and extra large burners, I wonder if some of those require upgrading your gas service (larger). You using LP Lisa?? If I had a raised garden I could grow anything!! Almost!
I'd always wanted one of those, and when we built this last house, I got one. The hottest burners are 22,000 btus - anything higher than that would be commercial grade, which would have involved designing our kitchen to those standards(commercial gas ranges aren't insulated like what they call the pro residential models). Drawback for an off the grid is that this sucker produces a ton of grease, and you need a big hood over it - not sure how that would work in an off the grid situation. I don't know if I'd do it again in another house, but I've never had such fun cooking - my first experience with LP. Can't remember the pipe size coming in - we ordered it fitted for LP from the factory, so there is no loss in btus as there is sometimes with a retrofitted NG model.

That said, we also have a Camp Chef two burner/1 griddle outside stove and those burners are 30,000 btus. Great for everything, from steaks to breakfast to canning or boiling big pots of home grown corn (alas, another thing that doesn't like to grow in the high desert). Think we got that either at Costco or Wal-Mart, pretty powerful and inexpensive.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I think I need to be Lisa's new neighbor. Maybe she would let me take picture of the hills.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Forgot to add - I am only on page 7 of this thread, but this property is simply a lovely piece of land. The view is gorgeous, and the land itself has character - a good set of bones, and not all land does. Reminds me a bit of where I grew up in Oregon. Is your piece representative of the area?

I admit that at first, while reading the thread, my thoughts were of how much fun we had developing our places, and how much I miss seeing the process - turning the dirt, running the excavator, smelling the lumber, planning everything out, being tired but happy we finished each stage, etc. Brought back a lot of memories of stuff we did, mostly when we were a lot younger (although we just finished up the last one not long ago - harder the older you get to start these things from scratch).

Then I got to the part where the metal for the roof hit the road, the truss tumble...and it brought back the dark side of our building experiences, lol. Maybe I am not as ready for a new project as I thought I was for a minute there.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Hey satx Yes our stove, refrigerator, water heater, furnace run on propane. At some point in the future we may consider more solar appliances.

I don't have one of those big stoves but they would be awesome to cook on. Maybe we could find someone who has one and get together, lol. We are looking into a wood burning stove.

I love my "little" garden. I was so excited last year to have my very first vegetables. I am hoping for more produce this year and maybe I can start canning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
Dh called this am, and said that not only are all the native dogwoods in bloom, but that my lilics are budding up.

Some woodstoves are very expensive, and then you get hit with the cost of the piping which is quite a bit too. We went with Jotul Oslos, but they are not inexpensive.
I wonder if you can grow lilacs in a square foot or raised bed garden.

We found a used Jotul for $1000.00...but we haven't gotten through to the sellers yet so I don't know the condition of it.

Quote:
That said, we also have a Camp Chef two burner/1 griddle outside stove and those burners are 30,000 btus. Great for everything, from steaks to breakfast to canning or boiling big pots of home grown corn (alas, another thing that doesn't like to grow in the high desert). Think we got that either at Costco or Wal-Mart, pretty powerful and inexpensive.
I have the Camp Chef also. I hope to use it for canning...another first for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I think I need to be Lisa's new neighbor. Maybe she would let me take picture of the hills.
You can be my neighbor anytime. I would love to learn more about photography and any gardening info you could share. I also know you would be able to take really beautiful pictures here. BTW, I dropped my camera tonight for about the hundredth time but this time the back of it cracked open. I might have to duct tape it, lol. I'm hoping it will stay together for awhile. I wasn't planning on a new camera for a couple of years.

Quote:
Forgot to add - I am only on page 7 of this thread, but this property is simply a lovely piece of land. The view is gorgeous, and the land itself has character - a good set of bones, and not all land does. Reminds me a bit of where I grew up in Oregon. Is your piece representative of the area?
Oh my, page 7 and dial up. I am honored that you are reading our story and you are enjoying it. It's hard to play catch up. Mike likes to re read the story

The property around here is very similar. The main difference with ours is we own from ridge to ridge and the valley down below. Kind of like a big bowl. Those are extremely hard to find. And it's all steep...but that's mountain land.

Land is a really hard project to take on. Mike did it once before in NC and we did it o our other TN land but that was flat land and so much easier. And now this one. I think we are getting too old to take on any really big projects anymore. It's really tough on the body, lol but it is wonderful to look back at what we have accomplished.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Duct tape! Works for anything!!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Duct tape! Works for anything!!!!
Ha, ha. Trust me I know, lol. Velcro also works great.

Last edited by ylisa7; 04-14-2010 at 06:49 AM..

Old 04-14-2010, 06:12 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
BTW, I dropped my camera tonight for about the hundredth time but this time the back of it cracked open. I might have to duct tape it, lol. I'm hoping it will stay together for awhile. I wasn't planning on a new camera for a couple of years.
If duct tape can't fix it, then it is officially broken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee