Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 08:13 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times

Advertisements

Lisa, looking good.....

You might look into a mirror framed in to look like a window for one wall. It will give the illusion of another window in your living room....

Old 12-01-2008, 08:30 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
When we got up this morning there was a red squirrel right outside our front door.

Mike and I love it that we have so many animals at this property. It is really awesome to see so many kinds of animals here. I want to start getting better pictures.

We have been online looking for a new camera. We would like something a little better to take long range pictures and also have the capability to be made into large prints. We have been reading reviews at Amazon and it is so confusing.
Good morning, Lisa! That handsome visitor at your door is a fox squirrel.

IMO, LauraC takes the best animal and landscape pics I've seen on this forum. She uses a Panasonic DMC-FZ18. Its successor, the FZ28, was introduced this summer. It's considerably less expensive and is getting rave reviews: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28K 10MP Digital Camera with 18x Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28: Digital Photography Review

Great to hear that you're both feeling so "at home" now. I know y'all still have work to do, but you've already succeeded in building yourselves a cozy place that's the envy of many!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
For your "Deer" besides the corn you should get a "Salt ~ Mineral Lick" most Farm stores carry them the deer will come more often.... The cows will love it also........

Old 12-01-2008, 03:27 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,889,082 times
Lisa what a wonderful Thanksgiving you must have had, your first in your beautiful new home that you and Mike built!
Mike's daughter sounds like quite a wonderful daughter to put so much thought into such a precious gift for you. You and Mike are blessed in many ways, and again TYVM for sharing your adventure with us all!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,786,156 times
I loved every picture so far! Its taken me a while to catch up with all that you have done. You and Mike are amazing. The house looks so much like a home now.

That American Red Squirrel is so cute. Your picture was nice in spite of the lack of a great camera. I've been thinking about getting (or wishing for) a new one too, so that link will be well read Tek_Freek. I have a good standard SLR but have always ended up using an ancient hand me down digital because I hate "throwing out" money on processing and film for the one shot that I wanted.

Thanks for the name and gallery (of the photographer Ken Jenkins) cajuninky and JoshB. He has some incredible shots. This area has so many pretty views but I haven't managed to capture them like he has. Wow!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 PM

77 posts, read 246,371 times
Hi Lisa & Mike! I keep up with your story every week - just amazing what you have accomplished and still plan to do. Regarding cameras, I would recommend a 8-10 megapix point-n-shoot type camera for ease of use, cost, and you can enlarge those pictures to the dimensions you've mentioned before.
I have a large wall that I am planning to fill with enlarged photos I've taken of various landscapes in the area. Have you ever been to Roan Mtn when the Rhododendrum (?sp) are in full bloom? It photographs well.
Regarding tapestries, if you're up for a weekend trip, head down to Hendersonville/Gerton, NC. Manual woodworkers & weavers originates there, and they have two outlet/discount centers. All their tapestries are deeply discounted and all made in the USA. You take I-26 east to exit 49 in NC (hwy 64 towards bat cave/lake lure). When you reach the bridge and have to choose right (lake lure/chimney rock) or left (gerton/asheville), you turn left and it will be just a few miles up the road. On the way there, you'll pass many apple orchards, so you can stock up on some fresh apples.
Good luck on getting some work done in the snowy/wintry weather!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,655 times
my goodness, it's magnificent! all the best to you and your guy. seems like your hearts have found the perfect home. like everybody else, i'll be waiting for the next chapter

Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Thank you so much for all the wonderful suggestions and sites. I loved the gallery pictures. Mike and I both liked the raccoons.

As far as cameras I narrowed it down to 11, lol. I posted the link in the Photography forum for help. So if you can help me check it out.

//www.city-data.com/forum/photo...ra-choice.html

Thank you all,
Lisa

Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Lisa, thanks for the update and pictures. I really look forward to coming here each week and catching up on your story. The house looks great! I like the nice, clean lines and tidiness of it.

P.S. If you want deer, buy a salt lick, a big block of salt, and they will come.
Best wishes!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
younglisa-- the garden plans...
You might want to do some homework now on your dreary days.

Wherever you mean to locate your garden there are economical soil test kits in agway type stores to figure out what soil prepping will need doing for whatever crops you plan on planting. Once the house project is complete you might want to check into vermiculture to minimize how much goes to the dump vs composting what you can. Worm castings are worth their weight in gold for gardens. I've read success stories about composting 'teas' as well.

I found this website on organic gardening very useful even if his growing zone isn't the same as ours. My skills are limited but when organic solutions work I prefer them over mysterious chemical concoctions.
Natural Organic Home Garden Health Howard Garrett Dirt Doctor - DirtDoctor.com - Howard Garrett - The Dirt Doctor

I think we can get another 9 months out of your story if you include your garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee