Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times

Advertisements

CoastalMaine- Welcome to the Mike and Lisa world. We have decided what to do about the bed. I will tell you on Monday. We will be adding a deck out front but we have no plans to add a cover. We don't want to block our only access to light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinodeb View Post
I second it. I really feel that if more people knew how to build a house like yours, there would be more being built.
No way possible are we in a situation we could live off the grid but it sure is fun to read your posts and know it is possible to live that way.
Your story is so appreciative. Thank you so much for sharing.
You are very welcome.

Hi Jaxson- Finally you got through the story. I hope it was worth it. I'll do my best to answer all your questions. We didn't put a bathtub in because of space and also we rarely use a tub. We lived in the motorhome for 3 1/2 years and we didn't miss it. Although I'm sure after a hard days work a long soak would feel nice.

We have just enough room to pull the W&D out if needed but it won't be easy. We had no idea how big the W&D were when we ordered them. I just knew it rated very high on energy efficiency. The dryer is vented through the roof and I do leave the door open when I use it. Why waste any extra heat. In the spring I will be back to hanging clothes outside.

We do unplug everything when not in use. I have no idea how much electric it saves but we figure it can't hurt. I think we've only used(well Mike has) the microwave once since we moved in.

Yeah I know about the butchering. We got some fresh ground beef from Howard's wife,, Ivalee and I swear it tasted different. Only because I've become close to the cows. Really it was very good meat. No additives.

Thank you. I definitely have a keeper in Mike. He is really amazing. Nicole, my stepdaughter, has turned out to be a wonderful young woman and we are very proud of her. We love her book. Mike is waiting for her to do part two.

wangie- It is wonderful to hear from you. There are so many people that read our story and we never hear from them. So please everyone stop in and say hi!

Lisa

Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Sister Lisa, when you & Brother Mike do your pond, bentonite clay will help seal the earth so it holds water better.......................

the Grange Co-Op had it round heer.........................

Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Sister Lisa, when you & Brother Mike do your pond, bentonite clay will help seal the earth so it holds water better.......................

the Grange Co-Op had it round heer.........................
Thank you,

I really, really wish we were doing the pond right now. That would mean winter was over.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 AM

Default Chapter 40 Week of 1-5-09

Good morning everyone. This week had been a cold, rainy and snowy week. Unfortunately that means we couldn't do so much work. Mike and I can't wait for nice weather. We have so much to do outside. That list seems almost endless.

Monday 1-5
It was a rainy dreary day out today. Not much to do so we hung picture frames in our bedroom.

and

Now all we need is 15 pictures to fill the frames. That will take us years, lol. It took years to get me to take pictures now it will probably take more for me to get them developed.

Tuesday 1-6
Another very rainy day. We went to town to order the day bed because we are impatient and we want to finish the office. We got to the store and the man told us it would be $750.00 for the day bed and 2 mattresses. That's a lot of money for something that will only get used about twice a year. Ok, back to the catalogs. We found a futon and mattress for half price. Now that sounds better. We placed our order and it should be in in 2 weeks.

Wednesday 1-7
It's another rainy day. I think we are going to float off this mountain. There is a ton of water coming down the mountain so it's time to go down and check the culvert. We are just maintaining it until we do a full clean out.
Mike went down before me to check the culvert. I walked down about 10 minutes later and he was digging like crazy. The culvert is still clogged but not completely which is good but the water did find a different path on the side and did some wash out on the lower driveway. Mike started digging and making a small pile so that the water would flow back into the ditch and culvert.

The water coming off the mountain

The culvert is semi clear but it looks like a ton of leaves are in the middle.

Howard must have already been here to feed the cows. They were across from us eating hay.

The much thinner winter cows and Mr. Bull.

We did as much as we could so we started to walk back up the driveway. Mike must have overdone it because he had to stop and take a break. I asked if he wanted me to get the jeep but he just rested. We seem to forget that we aren't kids anymore and we aren't used to heavy work. We got to the top and Mike went inside to rest. I'm going to have to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't overdo things anymore. I want to keep him around for the next 40 years or so. He's my best friend. I can't let anything happen to him. Anyway that was a wakeup call for him to slow down.

Later on Mike put the generator on and I did laundry while he filled our water tank. We also charged out batteries at the same time. Our system has been doing very well but when we have 3 straight days of no juice we need to help the batteries by charging them. I think in the spring our system will be more than enough. Oh yeah did I tell you? Mike wants to move the panels again. See this is why we don't worry to much when we do things. We end up changing so many things to make them better. And he wants to move our building again. Oh, I can't wait for spring.

Thursday 1-8
It really snowed today. It looks like a white out. This is standing at our door.

Of course today is the day we have to go to town. I have an appointment for a root canal and we are also going to pick up file cabinets for our desk. Mike drove and first stop was Wal-mart. We bought 2 black file cabinets for our desk and a chair. We decided to make our own since we haven't seen a desk we like. We have a good piece of wood at home that we can use for the top.

Mike dropped me at the dentist and he went to Lowe's while I was there. Since I was having a lot of pain from my tooth I opted for the nitrous oxide(laughing gas). I would recommend that to anyone. I didn't feel a thing. Now that's how a dentist's visit should be. I did ask the girl to give me less because I thought the initial amount of gas was too much. What can I say, I"m a lightweight.

Mike picked me up and we headed home. I hope we can make it up the driveway. We get inside the property and there are some drifts on the driveway. We do fine until our last steep curve. I said to Mike "I'm getting out". He told me don't worry about it. Oh I hate this. So he puts the car in low gear and here we go. We start to slip a little and then we get stuck. Now Mike backs the car down the hill as I'm hanging on to the door. He sops the jeep and we start over going faster. We make it this time and Mike is all excited. He really likes this stuff. Must be from his left over racing days.

We got everything unloaded and while I rested Mike put together our chair and took out the file cabinets. One of them is damaged so we have to return it.

Friday and Saturday-
The weather is still cold and rainy. There's not much for us to do on days like this. Oh yeah weren't we supposed to finish the inside of the house this winter? The whole winter? Well it figures we worked like crazy people and got it done early. Now what? Spring where are you? I know we have a long wait.

Sunday 1-11
I called Wal-Mart this morning to see of they restocked our file cabinet and they have two. Mike talked to Nicole this morning and she is also making her own desk. She found this spray paint that has a stone textured finish that she is going to use and out a clear gloss over the top. She is using an interior door for her desk top. We will check this paint out in town.

Off to town we go and this time we open the box in the store to check the cabinet for damage. Yeah it all looks good. Then across the street to Lowe's for the paint. We get home and Mike is all excited to paint the top of our desk. It's too cold and windy to do it outside so he is trying to figure out how to "spray" paint inside the house. "Are you crazy" I said. There is no way you are spray painting inside the house. So he wants you all to know that it is my fault we don't have more pictures.

Tomorrow is another day.

That was a mini chapter in the Mike and Lisa world. We will finish the desk and maybe get the futon this coming week. I hope you all enjoyed our update. I will post again next Monday.

Have a great week.

Lisa

Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
We did as much as we could so we started to walk back up the driveway. Mike must have overdone it because he had to stop and take a break. I asked if he wanted me to get the jeep but he just rested. We seem to forget that we aren't kids anymore and we aren't used to heavy work. We got to the top and Mike went inside to rest. I'm going to have to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't overdo things anymore. I want to keep him around for the next 40 years or so. He's my best friend. I can't let anything happen to him. Anyway that was a wakeup call for him to slow down.
This is what is really important. You both are doing just wonderfully perfect in the progress on your beautiful house. Pace yourself, it will all get done.....the journey is where memories are made. Making sure you are here to enjoy the memories is important.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Lisa,

Everything is looking good! I think we set a record for the most rainfall so if you guys didn't wash off the side of the mountain I think you are good to go!

Culverts are tricky things. You will be able to get that fixed this spring/summer.

Sorry you had to return a file cabinet. It seems anymore when I buy anything, even a wrap at the McDonalds drive thru, I am taking the time to check my purchases before I leave the store. Sad that we have to do that.

Question, I have been following your plans to start canning. Where are you going to store your jars of canned goods? The reason I am asking is my grandparents stored theirs in a dug out underground area (side of a hill) that kept them cool and dry. It was kind of a root cellar if you will. Are you interested in doing something like that? Or will you store them in your home?

Great update!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 AM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Smoky, my ex-in-laws stored theirs under the bed. Couldn't be seen and they were out of the way.
Lisa, on that culvert, if it's just leaves, Mike still needs to get a long piece of rebar or something to knock holes in the blockage. If you can get something all the way through the leaves and push them around some they should clear out in a couple of good rains. If he doesn't want to use rebar, take a walk in the woods and find a long sturdy tree limb that has broken off. Anything to reach through the leaves.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 AM

FB- Thank you for your thoughts. We will be careful so that Mike and I can enjoy our senior years together.

SMG- I am so excited about gardening and canning but I know "nothing". This spring and summer will be a lot of trial and error I'm sure. This year I will store everything in the office area in the cabinets. If I do great and I love gardening and canning then maybe a root cellar for the following year.

kygman- Thanks we have the rebar. Mike is trying to figure what to use to attach to it and pull it through. As soon as we get a warm enough day we will tackle that.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,390 times
Lisa and Mike-
Another great update that I completely enjoyed. I'm sure once things slow down on the house and in your life, you'll focus on filling ip those picture frames.
I used to can every year. I enjoyed it and just learned as I went and had a good informative cook booklet I used. I used to make grape jelly every year too with the Concord Grapes from my parents yard. Now the birds get the entire crop.
Pam

Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am so excited about gardening and canning but I know "nothing". This spring and summer will be a lot of trial and error I'm sure. This year I will store everything in the office area in the cabinets. If I do great and I love gardening and canning then maybe a root cellar for the following year.
Don't go overboard your first year and allow yourself time to GROW into loving it. I have canned since a child and pretty much everything can be canned in some form. Start with your very favorites. You do not want to overwhelm yourself with a garden to work and take care of while still finishing up the house and such. Start small and GROW from there.

As for canning, it is easy and can be fun, although trying to can your entire year food supply makes it a bit tiring. LOL I have tons of recipes and canning ideas. If you have something in mind and need advice, be sire to ask. You need to purchase a Ball Blue Book for canning and preserving. I use mine all the time! And don't forget...solar drying is great as well. Beautiful jars of dried berries, fruits and veggies looks very pretty in the kitchen.

Regarding the culvert, it looks wet and icy, not a good combination. We are looking at a very cold week as well. I worry about trying to push it through as it may impact it more on the other end. How deep in the culvert pipe is the impaction? How big is the culvert piece around? I'd say wait til Spring, but with rains being never ending, I hate to see more damage done from the impacted culvert. If not frozen, pushing it through could be an option, just not sure how far "through" is. A few feet not too bad, 10 feet would be near to impossible. would one of those snakes they use for plumbing work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee