Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:19 PM

41 posts, read 91,458 times

Advertisements

I've read 100's of posts on here from people asking location advice & the many helpful responses. Despite searches and post-mining, I've been unable to determine if a place in Tn might fit my criteria. Perhaps some of you would offer some wisdom?

What I'm looking for is a place to spend Dec-Feb each year. I'd prefer to rent, either hotel or 3mo. house rental, or whatever...but will buy a place if necessary.

Though it's tough to 'have it all' in one location, here's what's important to me:

-less than 3hr drive from an airport
-one hr drive or less to go fishing for bass, trout would be a nice bonus (assuming there is some good bass fishing somewhere, otherwise I'll take what I can get)
-one hr drive or less to shoot guns and/or hunt deer
-I like to eat at a nice restaurant once a week or so...not Applebee's or other chain-type places, though I'm willing to drive an hour or so to the right place
-enjoy taking occasional half-day drives along country roads in a nice car, preferably with the top off, so prefer minimal snow/ice in Dec/Jan timeframe
-also like to camp in the woods, and prefer a hilly region or semi-mountainous...flatland is ok, but would really like something with at least some hills

I don't need employment.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to lay it all out up front. If anyone has a recommendation for an area that will offer me the most out of the criteria listed, thank you very much for responding.
Thanks all.

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-05-2008 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: removed two lines per request of poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Does Savannah fit the bill? Crossville?

Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,367,557 times
Renegade Mountain...... Just East of Crossville.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 AM

Cool...those are great suggestions and I appreciate the information.

Happy 4th, and have a good day...

Old 07-05-2008, 07:28 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,844,120 times
Good luck driving with your top down in Dec-Jan....

Old 07-05-2008, 09:37 AM

Can't do that anywhere in Tn in Dec?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:02 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,844,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Can't do that anywhere in Tn in Dec?
I'm not going to lie to you Dave...

The Average Temp in Dec/Jan/Feb in...

Knoxville is 40/36/40
Chattanooga is 41/37/42
Nashville is 41/36/40
Jackson is 41/37/41
Memphis is 44/40/44

If that's your idea of " putting the top down " kind of weather, I'm guessing you're from the North Pole

Old 07-05-2008, 10:02 AM

270 posts, read 794,087 times
Quote:
I've read 100's of posts on here from people asking location advice & the many helpful responses. Despite searches and post-mining, I've been unable to determine if a place in Tn might fit my criteria. Perhaps some of you would offer some wisdom?

What I'm looking for is a place to spend Dec-Feb each year. I'd prefer to rent, either hotel or 3mo. house rental, or whatever...but will buy a place if necessary.

Though it's tough to 'have it all' in one location, here's what's important to me:

-less than 3hr drive from an airport
-one hr drive or less to go fishing for bass, trout would be a nice bonus (assuming there is some good bass fishing somewhere, otherwise I'll take what I can get)
-one hr drive or less to shoot guns and/or hunt deer
-I like to eat at a nice restaurant once a week or so...not Applebee's or other chain-type places, though I'm willing to drive an hour or so to the right place
-enjoy taking occasional half-day drives along country roads in a nice car, preferably with the top off, so prefer minimal snow/ice in Dec/Jan timeframe
-also like to camp in the woods, and prefer a hilly region or semi-mountainous...flatland is ok, but would really like something with at least some hills

I don't need employment.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to lay it all out up front. If anyone has a recommendation for an area that will offer me the most out of the criteria listed, thank you very much for responding.
Thanks all.
Here is a link for the hunting season. Depending on what you hunt with you may only get but a week or two out of those 3 months. Sorry I can't be more helpful I'm new to TN. Good luck finding what your looking for. TN is a great place and I hope you like it here when you come, I know I do!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:32 PM

Future Texan, good guess and those temps don't scare me too much...grin. Appreciate the info, helps me be realistic about what to expect!

Irreplaceable, I don't see the link...but I know where to find that info so no prob, and thanks!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:39 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,726,514 times
Quote:
Future Texan, good guess and those temps don't scare me too much...grin. Appreciate the info, helps me be realistic about what to expect!

Irreplaceable, I don't see the link...but I know where to find that info so no prob, and thanks!
If it's mountains you want and warmer winter weather, you might want to check out the Texas Hill Country, roughly the area between Austin and San Antonio. While not nearly as pretty as East Tennessee (in my not-so-humble opinion) it pretty much has everything else you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee