Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 12,544 times

Advertisements

Hello, me and my husband are wanting to relocate to TN. We will both need good jobs, affordable housing and a great place to raise kids.....we have two young children!!! My Husband has been in the heating and air biz for over 20 years any ideas on a good place?????? Please low crime rate as well!!!! Thanks for all you help will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 03:51 PM

15 posts, read 59,852 times
Hey,
Not sure what part you are looking into, but the Tri-Cities are is great. I lived there most of my life and plan to move back. Johnson City and Kingsport have the best schools. Jobs, JC is better. My hubby's family had a HVAC business for years and it was very successful, but there are a lot of fly-by- nighters out there taking business at a very cheep price, so competition is pretty fierce. It's a great place for families.
Good luck!
Christy

Old 01-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Just been looking on the net and hear alot about Maryville, do you know anything about this place. Is it worth me looking into more???????

Well, this forum is really great i am getting alot of info.......... BUT still have questions??????? Looking in the Knoxville-Maryville area..... What we are looking for is a SMALL city (you know where everybody knows everybody kinda thing) coming from Georgia been here ALL my life need a change.... Looking for good schools for my kids!!! Also, need good paying jobs, i love to shop so will need to live close to a mall???? We love racing, anything outdoors. If anyone has any ideas, advice, info... whatever help a chick out PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello, relocating can be very scary.........

Old 01-22-2007, 01:39 PM

109 posts, read 359,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyC View Post
Hello, me and my husband are wanting to relocate to TN. We will both need good jobs, affordable housing and a great place to raise kids.....we have two young children!!! My Husband has been in the heating and air biz for over 20 years any ideas on a good place?????? Please low crime rate as well!!!! Thanks for all you help will be greatly appreciated!
Quote:
Just been looking on the net and hear alot about Maryville, do you know anything about this place. Is it worth me looking into more???????

Well, this forum is really great i am getting alot of info.......... BUT still have questions??????? Looking in the Knoxville-Maryville area..... What we are looking for is a SMALL city (you know where everybody knows everybody kinda thing) coming from Georgia been here ALL my life need a change.... Looking for good schools for my kids!!! Also, need good paying jobs, i love to shop so will need to live close to a mall???? We love racing, anything outdoors. If anyone has any ideas, advice, info... whatever help a chick out PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello, relocating can be very scary.........

I have also researched this information, and some members have told me that Maryville is a much smaller town in feel and attitude and Knoxville is a large metropolitan city....so that is the main difference...it might be a perfect spot for you cause you have two small children and that city has great schools there. For better jobs I would say search Knoxville....for less crime...Maryville...I guess research the pro's and con's (that is what I am doing) and maybe consider living there and commuting to Knoxville as plan B…That is what I am thinking of doing...I want to start a family and am looking for a more affordable, quieter town where I can meet some nice people, but I also want to make more $$ so I will be looking for jobs in Knoxville...I will be visiting in May, so there I will decide exactly where I want to live and see if I can commute that idea…..Will you be visiting TN? It is always good to go and check out the place before moving there...I am definitely going to post my experience after visiting

Old 01-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Thanks

Yeah, we are gonna be visiting first. That would be great for you to post the experience after you go i will do the same. Wonder how far Maryville is from Knoxville, I have heard that there are better or more jobs in Knoxville.....Have you seen much on house rentals i can't find too much on that, we are looking only to rent at first. Also, heard of a place Cookeville seems nice you know anything about it????????????? Thanks again for your response, nobody else seems to want to give any insight sure hope its not a reflection on people in Tennessee, where i am from we are used to Southern Hosptality!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:46 PM

141 posts, read 981,549 times
Quote:
Yeah, we are gonna be visiting first. That would be great for you to post the experience after you go i will do the same. Wonder how far Maryville is from Knoxville, I have heard that there are better or more jobs in Knoxville.....Have you seen much on house rentals i can't find too much on that, we are looking only to rent at first. Also, heard of a place Cookeville seems nice you know anything about it????????????? Thanks again for your response, nobody else seems to want to give any insight sure hope its not a reflection on people in Tennessee, where i am from we are used to Southern Hosptality!!! LOL!!!!!!!
Knoxville vs. Maryville is a common topic. Search for more posts under my user name and you will see a lot of discussion on the topic!

A visit really is necessary. You really don't know which community is going to click unthil you get here. Another option is Alcoa or Blount County's Louisville or Rockford area. They are closer to Knox than Maryville proper, and have all the benefits of being in between the two towns.

I suggest looking at Bargain Mart, the Maryville Daily Times, the Knoxville News-Sentinel, and Metro Pulse for rentals. You may also want to hook up with a local realtor, they may be able to point you in the direction of a good rental. I do suggest that if you are looking in Maryville/Blount that you should go with a local realtor...Knoxville realtors can show out there but they often don't know much about the area.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:46 PM

109 posts, read 359,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
Knoxville vs. Maryville is a common topic. Search for more posts under my user name and you will see a lot of discussion on the topic!

A visit really is necessary. You really don't know which community is going to click unthil you get here. Another option is Alcoa or Blount County's Louisville or Rockford area. They are closer to Knox than Maryville proper, and have all the benefits of being in between the two towns.

I suggest looking at Bargain Mart, the Maryville Daily Times, the Knoxville News-Sentinel, and Metro Pulse for rentals. You may also want to hook up with a local realtor, they may be able to point you in the direction of a good rental. I do suggest that if you are looking in Maryville/Blount that you should go with a local realtor...Knoxville realtors can show out there but they often don't know much about the area.

Good luck!

Great info!!! thanks!! PS: I think Maryville is like 20-25 miles from Knoxville...maybe less???..please correct me if I am wrong

Old 01-25-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycue View Post
Great info!!! thanks!! PS: I think Maryville is like 20-25 miles from Knoxville...maybe less???..please correct me if I am wrong
To Turkey Creek/Farragut it is 21 miles, and you would go Pellissippi Parkway (I-140). To downtown Knoxville it is about 16 miles and you would go straight up Alcoa Highway (US129).

Hope this helps; it is a straight shot either way. We do those drives all the time.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the info. Another question, anything on Cookeville??? Is there flat land in Maryville (like i don't think i could drive in that)!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Is there flat land in Maryville (like i don't think i could drive in that)!!!!!!!!
Depends on what you consider "flat". In the midwest, flat is everywhere. If the large industries around here want to expand, they have to spend tens of millions of dollars trucking in dirt to make engineered "flat".

I consider my yard pretty flat, but that's just the back. The front of the house is a 20 foot elevation change from the street. My across the street neighbors have board-flat yards, though.

SO I guess the answere is that we have pockets of flat, surrounded by hills. Just don't expect a cornfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee