Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,540 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Mountain City for 14 years and I love it. The scenery is wonderful and the people are so nice. By the way you can find dumb rednecks in the most sophisticated cities, so don't put down one small town in Appalachia. As far as activities to do in Mountain City they are scare, however, if you like to camp, hike, and/or photography then you are in for many fun weekends. However, Mountain City (Johnson County) is also located about 30 minutes from many other towns and cities that have a lot of activities. My fiancé and I frequent Boone, NC to go to the 2 dollar movie theater that shows movies that are just about to come out on DVD. There are several colleges and universities around that are always having some kind of play or activity. There are also several homeschooling groups in Johnson City. My fiancé and several of my closest friends were home schooled and they participated in these groups. They all loved it. So Mountain City is a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL88 View Post
no i have never homeschooled....do you know if mountain city is bad or what? we want a mid size town and near the mountains or in the mountains! my folks will be living in north ga and my wifes folks live in wv....can you help?
I just moved to Mountain City about a Year ago And I ABSOLUTLY Love it!!! I moved here from a big city and having children, desprately wanted a better atmosphere for them. I found that along with BEAUTIFUL views here!!! It is kinda boring but, it is worth it too me!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 PM

243 posts, read 887,116 times
Default Mountain City

Yeh, my husband and I were there last summer exploring the area. Yep, it is secluded out there all by itself. Long winding road to get there. It was not for us. There was a funeral going on as we were at the gas station across the street from the church. Seem like almost everyone from the town were arriving and everyone was old. Not like we we're young but I did get the feeling that it was not a young persons place to live.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,361 times
Hi, we recently moved to Kingsport TN. This is a city of about 45,000. It's south of Mountain City by 1 hour 15 min. Kingsport is a great little town. Has all that you might be needing for shopping, food, dining etc. The downtown area is quaint and artisy, while the newer shopping areas are away from the nice downtown area. Mountain City is a much smaller town, but appears to be growing. Seems to have two developers wanting to market to "second" home buyers. (Forest At Sunalei and Red Tail) If these developments go in, the area will really grow. These developments are for the wealthy.

As far as affordability, either town is still affordable when compared to bigger markets. I like Kingsport because it's still a small town feel but offers free music and a lot of entertainment to residents. If you lived in Kingsport, you could find lots to do, hike, bike, camping, and city sponsored events. If you lived in Mountain City, these city sponsored events would be much less frequent. Though you could travel to Boone, but it's pricey...

Old 07-18-2007, 06:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone999 View Post
Hi, we recently moved to Kingsport TN. This is a city of about 45,000. It's south of Mountain City by 1 hour 15 min. Kingsport is a great little town. Has all that you might be needing for shopping, food, dining etc. The downtown area is quaint and artisy, while the newer shopping areas are away from the nice downtown area. Mountain City is a much smaller town, but appears to be growing. Seems to have two developers wanting to market to "second" home buyers. (Forest At Sunalei and Red Tail) If these developments go in, the area will really grow. These developments are for the wealthy.

As far as affordability, either town is still affordable when compared to bigger markets. I like Kingsport because it's still a small town feel but offers free music and a lot of entertainment to residents. If you lived in Kingsport, you could find lots to do, hike, bike, camping, and city sponsored events. If you lived in Mountain City, these city sponsored events would be much less frequent. Though you could travel to Boone, but it's pricey...
Welcome to my neck of the woods and to City-Data, great explaination of both areas.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone999 View Post

Have you had a chance to go to Carter Fold yet? It's near Kingsport just across the state line in Virginia. It's the Carter family farm (as in June Carter Cash) and they have bluegrass concerts and clogging in their old tobacco barn every Saturday night no matter the weather outside. I never knew that I liked bluegrass until I went to Carter Fold. I have friends from Minnesota who moved to Johnson City and go to Carter Fold every single Saturday night, without fail. It's a true benefit to living in that beautiful part of the country.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:52 AM

45 posts, read 178,255 times
The reason I was looking at Mountain City--which doesn't really have that much to offer-- is its elevation and closeness to Boone, NC. I can't afford to buy in Boone so that seemed like an alternative. Also, I don't want NC to tax my pension. There are many, many bad things about FL, but I've become used to not paying state income tax.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL88 View Post
anyone know anything about mountain city,tn? crime? umm....what kind of things do they have there as far as restraunts is there a large library?
They have what they want and no more,once a gen. dies another one steps up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hi Rebel88,
I have only been there once but have been hearing a lot about it. I have to go there next week, weather permitting, and when I do, I will take notes, look for a library and take pictures. I do know the property prices are going VERY high up there. Going to investigate the why of that too.
So keep an eye out for the update on Mountain City.
Let one and everybody smells it. Mountains out of mohillsville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirahill07 View Post
I have lived in Mountain City for 14 years and I love it. The scenery is wonderful and the people are so nice. By the way you can find dumb rednecks in the most sophisticated cities, so don't put down one small town in Appalachia. As far as activities to do in Mountain City they are scare, however, if you like to camp, hike, and/or photography then you are in for many fun weekends. However, Mountain City (Johnson County) is also located about 30 minutes from many other towns and cities that have a lot of activities. My fiancé and I frequent Boone, NC to go to the 2 dollar movie theater that shows movies that are just about to come out on DVD. There are several colleges and universities around that are always having some kind of play or activity. There are also several homeschooling groups in Johnson City. My fiancé and several of my closest friends were home schooled and they participated in these groups. They all loved it. So Mountain City is a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
This is true. Just don't get in to politicsssss.

Last edited by Beretta; 09-19-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee