Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 11:28 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevansmom View Post
JMT:

Aside from the cost of housing, is there anything in my post YOU would consider something to "research" before relocating????

How about using a cost-of-living comparison calculator on internet, and every website you go to is telling you Knoxville TN is much less. Does that count? Well, I did that for about a week straight.

How about looking for housing on realty sites and seeing that some are a zillion dollars, but knowing those are in Gatlinburg and you start researching other towns and find some nice "pictures" but not nice when you see them in person, is that not considered "researching?

And, oh, when relocating, sometimes after searching for a job in your own state for more than 6 months with only 2 interviews, and then starting to look elsewhere and TN calls within 2 weeks with over 5 interviews, don't you think you know it's time to go????
I surely hope you weren't willing to buy something based on what you saw on an internet web site.

This should be a lesson for all of us: if you're making such a life-changing move, you can't do too much research. You've got to spend time in the new area and really look for houses and not just do some internet comparisons. I know you said you've spent a lot of time in Gatlinburg, but apparently you were a tourist and not house hunting.

But it really does sound like the things you are complaining about are things that could've been avoided had you done more on-site research. And if you chose not to do it, or if you weren't able to do it, then you really shouldn't be complaining. Kind of like people who don't vote but then complain about their elected officials.

I'm not trying to sound uncaring. I guess being a teacher makes me a bit more callous to what I consider to be "whining." I know you weren't whining, but to some of us it came across that way.

There are legitimate things to complain about, things that you can't possibly prepare for before you move: huge increases in property taxes, rude neighbors, noisy outdoor concerts, etc. But when it comes to things such as housing costs or whether certain stores exist where you want to move, that's pretty easy to figure out.

And if someone chooses to live in a resort town, I think that person should expect the cost of food to be considerably higher. It's nothing that's unique to Gatlinburg. Try going grocery shopping in Hilton Head or Cape Cod.

Still, I sure hope you find what you're looking for. I'm sorry that you didn't find the paradise you were looking for, but as many people on here have stated, sometimes it takes a while to find your groove. I believe mbmouse said she had to move a few times before she found her corner of paradise. Moving can be really annoying, but with the right attitude and the proper preparations, your moves can be positive experiences that will teach you about your fellow man as well as teach you a few things about yourself.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:28 AM

408 posts, read 1,977,940 times
One thing that I think people don't realize is distances on a map versus actually driving them. Even Seymour to Gatlinburg probably doesn't sound as bad if you look at it map wise versus driving through all those red lights. Roads off the main drag may have less traffic, but they could be longer because many of them would be smaller and curvy. If you are not working right now, this would be a good time to explore around and see what areas would be close and a better price range for you.
If you are shopping in the Seymour area, things shouldn't be as pricey. That is not really a touristy area. But you should only be about 10 or 15 minutes from the stores in South Knoxville. I can get from South Knoxville to the area of Sevierville where Walmart is in 20 minutes going Chapman Hwy and I am made fun of for my slow driving. Maryville isn't too far away either, but that probably depends on where in Seymour you are. I know this time last year Kroger had milk on sale at least every other week for $2.50 a gallon. In the spring, there were always good sales on fruits and vegetables. There are farmers markets around. If you haven't already, pick up some of those local free papers at grocery stores and you may see ads for things like that.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:35 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Default Good points smooch!

Also pick up some local maps. Even though I have lived in East TN for 10 years now, I always have a local and state map in my car. That is how I learned my way around, and it was FUN! I found I was less worried about getting "lost" knowing I had the maps. I have found some of the greatest little spots in the area "by accident".

Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,676 times
Default White Oak Flats - 150 years later.!

Well A; you really found a lot of people inside on a cold day. Dont think I ever saw 45 posts in a 4 hour period. Do have two funny comments to pass on to "A" or the next northern. Doing my RESEARCH today with library book, your town was called White Oak Flats, and Radford GATLIN was eventually "Run out of town" by the locals after feuds and disputes over land.! So your town never liked change.
Twelve years ago with the influx to Florida every newcomers said" WELL I'M from up North and this is how we do things".! Shortly all the locals got bumper stickers stating "WE DONT CARE HOW THEY DO THINGS UP NORTH" .
Also after the Presidential election re-count the locals got bumper stickers saying "IF YOU DONT LIKE THE WAY WE COUNT DOWN HERE GO BACK NORTH TO ANYONE OF THE OTHER 68 ( sixty-eight) States.!
Again we re-located 6 months ago and page 1, find anykind of CHURCH. They will have a welcome comittee and help to grow their community.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Great stuff, Split!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
Well A; you really found a lot of people inside on a cold day. Dont think I ever saw 45 posts in a 4 hour period.
Yep, it's really cold today.
Kids are out of school, and I am sitting here working.
(I work on my computer, LOL... and it's on 24/7)

Don't usually sit here and play all day, but, keep getting distracted.

......I LOVE TENNESSEE.....
(will be there soon, counting the days.)

Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,940 times
Quote:
Well A; you really found a lot of people inside on a cold day. Dont think I ever saw 45 posts in a 4 hour period. Do have two funny comments to pass on to "A" or the next northern. Doing my RESEARCH today with library book, your town was called White Oak Flats, and Radford GATLIN was eventually "Run out of town" by the locals after feuds and disputes over land.! So your town never liked change.
My great-great-great-great-great grandfather was post master general at the time (and at some point sheriff, not sure if it was at the same time) and allegedly he arranged to name the town after Radford Gatlin if he would leave town.
I wouldn't say they don't like change in that area. Have you seen the photos in the Mountain Mall of what that exact site looked like years ago?
Though the Walker sisters lived in the Park until around the 1960's when they all died out. Until that time, they lived just like they had way back in like the early 1900's or 1800's.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:02 PM

40 posts, read 223,635 times
After reading these 5 pages of posts and also hoping to be a future Tennessean I have to let you know that what you're experiencing in your relocation to TN is common no matter where you're moving from or to. I've relocated every few years for the past 20 years because of my job and it's always the same. It's always difficult for the first few months getting to know the area, a new job, friends, etc.
Unfortunately my spouse has always had a harder time with the moves because she has to get a new job every time (My job is always the same just a different location). And she is the social butterfly in the family; which makes it more difficult for her to make the moves.
I also agree that no matter how much research one does before moving, there will always be some things you'll only discover after actually living there for awhile. I say GOOD-LUCK and try to see the positives of the location and maybe before you know it you'll be the local who has to listen to us "Yankees" complain about the culture shock.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBound View Post
My husband had to get used to the many little sayings that I grew up with, that he didn't quite understand...

like "it's colder than a Well Diggers butt."
Now, that is cold...

Oh my gosh, I heard someone say that the other day. No kidding!

Old 01-19-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Well A; you really found a lot of people inside on a cold day. Dont think I ever saw 45 posts in a 4 hour period.
Well, it hasn't helped that it happens to be my day off!

It happens to be pretty nice here, today. But when I go back to work at 5 a.m. on Sunday, there should be an ice storm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee