Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

No offense, it has been my experience that salary.com overstates the salary range of a postion and area.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:43 AM

660 posts, read 2,441,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

At any rate, since you know about Meijer's web site, why didn't you look at it before you moved here and see that there are no Meijer stores anywhere near Gatlinburg?

I'm really not trying to offend, so I apologize if it comes across that way. But your complaining about the cost of housing, no Meijer stores, etc., AFTER moving here is the equivalent of someone who adopts a cheetah as a pet but then complains that it runs too fast.
lol thats a good one

Old 02-03-2007, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 9,400 times
Lightbulb re: Meijer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
what the heck is a Meijer anyways? i've never heard of that before
Meijer is a super-store (like a clean Wal-mart)
They have fair prices (most of the time) you can find really good sales on "super-sale" weekends (things like Hilshire Farms smoked sausage buy one get 2 free [as broke people, we eat a lot of sausage around these times])

They are known for their large selection of fresh produce @ decent prices.

Meijer started in Michigan (i think) and has move on to Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and I think Wisconsin.

They also carry pet supplies, H&B, clothes, toys, seasonal, etc. (kind of like a Target Super-center, only with cheaper groceries)

Hope that helps...

Old 02-03-2007, 07:17 PM

117 posts, read 488,349 times
Ok, well there are 2 factors i believe they are figuring into there salary info at salary.com. First they add in the cash value of benefits to the salary, that is what is raisng their estimate. Second, I believe they are figuring on a nurse working full time. Which I don't know any nurse who works full time, except maybe in a clinic and they don't make as much as a working in a hospital. When I looked at my current salary (according to them) I laughed , because If I were to actually get that amount, I would be in a much better position.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:18 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
They have alot of per diem RN jobs at JC/Mtn States Health Alliance. It's 30.00 per hour and that is for a full R.N. My neighbor is HR manager there. It's a large hospital, but that is what they pay. Adding benefits into actual salary makes no sense. Go on the individual websites for whatever hospital you need information from.

sunny.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:15 PM

10 posts, read 66,686 times
Hi AmyEvansMom! I have lived in Sevier County all of my life so thought I might be able to help. For produce, I go to the flea markets, the weekly shows in the Glades, and you can't throw a rock in this town w/out someone selling it out of their truck. I cant help you much with the culture shock b/c yes its much slower here than other places & for some people its not for them. As for the housing situation. I bought a 2br/2ba house built a month before I bought it last year for 69,900 in Sevierville. My family is all in Gatlinburg but its only a 20-30 min drive downtown if you know the backroads, and just an fyi there building a billion more houses in my neighborhood in this price range. All in all everyones right its easiest to get to know a local to help with stuff like this. If you have any questions let me know. Hope this helps!

Old 02-05-2007, 12:07 PM

86 posts, read 414,532 times
Thank you Jessg. Please tell me more about the flea markets for produce. The only place I've found that is "decent" in prices is in South Knox. Some produce/vegetable market. That is about 20 min from home. I haven't been so lucky to find somebody selling out of their truck. I moved here in August, did I miss it?? Where on earth did you find that home for 69,900????? OMG...I have seen nothing of the sort! I need a 3 br/2 ba. You could become my new best friend...hahahaha!! Thanks!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 34,890 times
I'm from the "Rust Belt " also. Have been to Arizona and Washington state recently. Believe me, you won't find housing prices any where near what they are up north in the other parts of the US. Perhaps someday that will change., but right now noone wants the taxes, crime, deteriorating economies, and weather of the north. That's why prices are more reasonable there.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 PM

75 posts, read 347,791 times
amyevansmom, I don't know if the house is still on the market, but try rockytop.com type in Gatlinburg for the city and max 150,000. There is a nice house (from the looks of the pictures) on that website. It's an older home, but worth looking at. The culture shock is a shock, but once you stop and smell the roses you can appreciate the culture.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 AM

86 posts, read 414,532 times
I tried that link, but it goes to scout something and is all about Tenn Vols. Hmmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee