Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 PM

334 posts, read 1,282,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967hammer View Post
I just wonder what their search criteria is with as many as they seem to clean out.

TNNative, mostly the police look for indicators of illegal activity. The occupants may act really nervous or upset. Sometimes the officer will separate the occupants and ask them all the same general questions (where are you going, what is the driver's name, how do you know each other, etc.) to see if their answers match. It is amazing how many people think that thay can BS their way out of something when all they have to do is not talk at all. Nobody has to talk to the police. If you know you are guilty of something you can always choose to shut up! (remember the 5th amendment and apply it). Everyone has the right to remain silent, most people just lack the ability

The police can ask to search any one or any vehicle that they come in contact with. If the person refuses to give permission to search, the officer has to decide if there is enough reasonable suspicion to detain the vehicle until a narcotics dog can arrive or until a search warrant can be drafted and signed. It is up to the person or vehicle operator to understand their 4th amendment rights and decide if they want to give or refuse permission. The only problem is that most people don't understand what can happen next. Many things can impact the dynamics of the situation.

For instance, if there is an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle the officer will have an easier time articulating why they felt it was necessary to search the vehicle prior to obtaining a warrant. Many times, people leave illegal items right out in the open (plain view) and that lets the officer proceed w/o a search warrant. Also, if the driver has outstanding warrants or a suspended/revoked license, they could (and probably will) be arrested . Once they are in custody, the officer may tow the vehicle to a secure storage facilty to prevent theft or damage. If the vehicle is going to be towed, an inventory of all the contents must be done. This is not a "search" per se, however it does enable the officer to look through the entire vehicle. Same result if you are hiding something.
I thank you for the information. I was a former Public Service Commission officer at the I-65 scales when they first opened at the TN-KY line about 30 years ago and I know that we randomly inspected trucks then at the scales, occasionally coming across interesting situations, but thankfully, I've never had my car cleaned out for me by an officer. I just wasn't sure what their procedure is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,794 times
Angry Another Speed trap

There is a speed trap in Ridgetop TN which everyons should know about.
Right off US 41 (hwy 259) going toward I-65. Hwy 41 is 50 mph limit then 45 mph limit. Turn onto 259, go down a hill, up the next, GOTCHA. Local police sits there shooting radar from the left as you pop up over the hill. This is a 35 mph zone there (did not see a sign). Traffic ticket goes to Ridgetop City Court 128.50 for 10 over limit of 35.. plus you may attend a "traffic school" for an additional $125.00, both cashiers check or money ortder only.. great revenue builder for the little town.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dme570 View Post
There is a speed trap in Ridgetop TN which everyons should know about.
Right off US 41 (hwy 259) going toward I-65. Hwy 41 is 50 mph limit then 45 mph limit. Turn onto 259, go down a hill, up the next, GOTCHA. Local police sits there shooting radar from the left as you pop up over the hill. This is a 35 mph zone there (did not see a sign). Traffic ticket goes to Ridgetop City Court 128.50 for 10 over limit of 35.. plus you may attend a "traffic school" for an additional $125.00, both cashiers check or money ortder only.. great revenue builder for the little town.
Thanks for letting us know! I hadn't heard of Ridgetop so I looked it up.

//www.city-data.com/city/Ridgetop-Tennessee.html

Old 11-02-2008, 08:33 AM

46 posts, read 169,993 times
You can add Clifton, TN to your speed trap list.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Saturn Parkway in Spring Hill used to be a notorious one. I'm not sure if it's still that way.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 PM

55 posts, read 291,328 times
70S between Murf and Woodbury can be a speed trap at times. The Speed limit drops from 65 to 55 to 20mph pretty darn quick and they can catch you if you aren't watching the signs....

Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,810 times
Charleston and Calhoun areas (around Bowaters)

Benton (north side of town mostly)

I-75 between Charleston and Sweetwater

Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,347 times
Over the years, I've run into three or four on I-75 southbound just over the Kentucky border into Tennessee (around Jellico). And these were huge, with dozens of trooper's cars lined up to pick off speeding vehicles. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else in the country.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM

290 posts, read 1,053,779 times
Briley Parkway in the Opryland area of Nashville. This is an eight lane limited access highway with a speed limit of 55. I see unmarked cruisers with people pulled over three to four times a week. I travel this highway to and from work.
On the link someone posted above about Speed Traps, I researched it and found Nashville is the Number One Speed Trap in Tennessee. I think Nashville comes in fourth or fifth in the United States.
Here is the link if you want to research other states, as it list every state with their worst speed trap.
The Worst Speed Trap Cities In The United States

Last edited by BuzzCam; 11-07-2008 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 07:47 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
TN State Trooper D. Inman loves to catch speeders or suspected speeders in Rutherford County. If you are in Murfreesboro and Rutherford County beware this guy. Karma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee