Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:58 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

I read in the Oak Ridger today that the town of Oak Ridge may get a Super Target as part of a new shopping center. I could get excited about that if I knew what happens to Plain Old Target when it becomes super. Anyone know? I've never heard of Super Target.

In other Oak Ridge (OR) news today there is a great article in the Oak Ridger newspaper about the role Oak Ridge science is playing in world affairs such as (but not limited to) OR scientists working with China on pollution issues and working with South Korea on energy issues. They are also doing work in the nanotechnology area, are building the world's largest super computer, have a biofuels program that identified switchgrass as the model plant species for alternative fuel, and are working with NASA on the Jupiter Icy Moon Orbiter and other space projects.

If you happen to be planning a visit to Oak Ridge the current exhibit at the American Museum of Science and Energy (AMSE) is "It's a Nano World". This is a dot org so I can post the link:

http://www.amse.org/exhibits/070105-ItsANanoWorld.html (broken link)

Plenty of interactive exhibits for the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 06:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Laura:

A Super Target means that it will offer groceries, too.

Thanks for the museum info. Lauren has been there a few times on field trips. I have to go but still awaiting the special tours.

By the way, I just discovered a Polish restaurant in Oak Ridge. I am so excited! I think I may go on Friday!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:27 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I read in the Oak Ridger today that the town of Oak Ridge may get a Super Target as part of a new shopping center. I could get excited about that if I knew what happens to Plain Old Target when it becomes super. Anyone know? I've never heard of Super Target.

In other Oak Ridge (OR) news today there is a great article in the Oak Ridger newspaper about the role Oak Ridge science is playing in world affairs such as (but not limited to) OR scientists working with China on pollution issues and working with South Korea on energy issues. They are also doing work in the nanotechnology area, are building the world's largest super computer, have a biofuels program that identified switchgrass as the model plant species for alternative fuel, and are working with NASA on the Jupiter Icy Moon Orbiter and other space projects.

If you happen to be planning a visit to Oak Ridge the current exhibit at the American Museum of Science and Energy (AMSE) is "It's a Nano World". This is a dot org so I can post the link:

http://www.amse.org/exhibits/070105-ItsANanoWorld.html (broken link)

Plenty of interactive exhibits for the kids.
There's already a Super Target in West Knoxville at the Turkey Creek development. It's WONDERFUL. Other Targets also have groceries, but a Super Target also has a deli, bakery, and produce.

Anyway, the developer for the Super Target in Oak Ridge wants the city of Oak Ridge to chip in over $10 million towards the new shopping center. That seems mighty steep to me. It seems to me that if the developer thinks that there's money to be made by building a Super Target in Oak Ridge, why should the city contribute $10 million towards the cost?

Old 01-24-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There's already a Super Target in West Knoxville at the Turkey Creek development. It's WONDERFUL. Other Targets also have groceries, but a Super Target also has a deli, bakery, and produce.

Anyway, the developer for the Super Target in Oak Ridge wants the city of Oak Ridge to chip in over $10 million towards the new shopping center. That seems mighty steep to me. It seems to me that if the developer thinks that there's money to be made by building a Super Target in Oak Ridge, why should the city contribute $10 million towards the cost?
I don't actually have an opinion on a super Target (now that I know what makes it super) since I'm not a shopper at the Plain Old Target in the town next to mine, now. I suppose if it's physically located in a different part of town from the Super Walmart and the K-Mart, it will be good for the people in the neighborhood. I'd be more interested to see what else would be planned for that shopping center...and what's going on with the mall.

I don't know how business deals for large stores go down but it seems strange that they want the city to kick in the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Laura:

A Super Target means that it will offer groceries, too.

Thanks for the museum info. Lauren has been there a few times on field trips. I have to go but still awaiting the special tours.

By the way, I just discovered a Polish restaurant in Oak Ridge. I am so excited! I think I may go on Friday!
I bet she'll like the interactive nanotechnology exhibits if it they are anything like the Grossology one.

I don't think I have ever eaten in a Polish restaurant although I have been to Polish bakeries. My ex-husband was half Polish and he never expressed a desire for Polish food. We had a heavy duty Polish neighborhood (even had a Polish mass) in a nearby town but we never went out to eat there for no reason other than there were other places we liked to go to. After Italian, I like German restaurants. After leaving Long Island, I only got to go to them on work related travel.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 PM

141 posts, read 981,334 times
I've not been to the AMSE, but my kids love the Oak Ridge Childrens Museum.

Quote:
After Italian, I like German restaurants. After leaving Long Island, I only got to go to them on work related travel.
There is Restaurant Linderhof in Farragut...don't know much about it, but I have heard good things.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:27 PM

271 posts, read 933,888 times
Quote:
the current exhibit at the American Museum of Science and Energy (AMSE) is "It's a Nano World".
It would definitely be a "Nano World" if a type or species of nano mechanism was designed to say help remove oil spills by attacking carbon based atoms, but instead thought it's carbon based creators was more delicious...was that at the museum too?

And back to Target, wouldn't it have been easier for consumers to understand the difference between their stores if they had labeled them say:

Target Lump-o-Coal (carts without wheels...not pretty, but cheap!)
Target Bronze
Target Silver
Target Gold
Target Platinum
Target Diamond (with valet parking!)

At least we could all understand which stores were actually "better", as the corporations continued to one-up themselves over the coming decades in the battle over customer plastic.

Sometimes having these mega-stores is a mixed blessing. Yes they do offer "more", but how much of this stuff would we never have dreamed of "needing" had we not been exposed to such misc. product? When one walks down an aisle full of duct tape that consists of every color found in the rainbow, perhaps "it" has gone a little to far? Although that blue duct tape sure does hold my car bumper on extremely well, and looks great too!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
I don't think I have ever eaten in a Polish restaurant although I have been to Polish bakeries. My ex-husband was half Polish and he never expressed a desire for Polish food. We had a heavy duty Polish neighborhood (even had a Polish mass) in a nearby town but we never went out to eat there for no reason other than there were other places we liked to go to. After Italian, I like German restaurants. After leaving Long Island, I only got to go to them on work related travel.
I'm not Polish, but lived in a Polish area for most of my life. Pierogis are delicious but. I actually know how to make them (as opposed to clam fritters!) but they are very labor intensive. Read: I'm just too lazy!

In the town that I lived, there was an actual cottage industry of little old Polish ladies that would sell them out of their kitchen!

Old 01-25-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post

Sometimes having these mega-stores is a mixed blessing. Yes they do offer "more", but how much of this stuff would we never have dreamed of "needing" had we not been exposed to such misc. product?
As a person who likes to go into the store to get what I need and get out (not shop/look around to see what they've got), having it all under one roof is okay (making 1 trip to one store) with me but I do like my grocery shopping in a supermarket not in a megastore. I think it's not so much the store itself but hauling the bags of mixed purchased items up a flight of stairs and into the home. I have to think, though, in some rural places in Tennessee, the big megastores must be a Godsend. Less driving long distances for multiple-type purchases. At least you don't have to kill a whole day for shopping.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
I've not been to the AMSE, but my kids love the Oak Ridge Childrens Museum.

There is Restaurant Linderhof in Farragut...don't know much about it, but I have heard good things.
I think your kids would like the AMSE interactive exhibits. I did not go to the Children's Museum but I've heard good things about it.

Thanks for the restaurant tip.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:00 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
why should the city contribute $10 million towards the cost?

Could be a lot of it for preparing the land for building on for one thing, although that probably wouldn't account for $10mil.

The reason cities kick in large amounts for stuff like this is simple. Sales tax and increased overall revenue for the city. If people come to Oak Ridge to do their shopping instead of going to Knoxville, they also dine, buy gas, etc. Its an overall boost to the economy of the city if you've ever seen how many people are at Super Target from open to close. I would be surprised if a day went by when 1000 people + didn't come in.

Anyway, Super Targets are great. Where I lived in TX had about 6 of them within a 40 mile radius. I live in Knoxville and would love it if they built one in Oak Ridge because it would make the Knoxville location slightly less crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee