Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 02:16 PM

33 posts, read 139,684 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My neighbor just dumped something over the back of my carport, I went to investigate and found that it was a baby robin she lovingly tossed. Does anyone know of a wildlife rescue center around Greeneville? I looked in the phone book and found Grassy Creek Wildlife Foundation but not sure if they rescue, when I called their answering machine was full so I couldn't leave a message. I for now am feeding it dog food because I read to do that online but I don't have the skills to keep it until it's ready to go off on its own. It doesn't have any noticeable injuries either. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 03:02 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
If you know where the nest is, put it back in the nest. It is a wives tail that if a human touches a baby bird it's mother will disown it. The best thing that can happen for the baby bird is that it's mother can find it. If you can't find the nest put the bird back close to where you found it if it will be safe from predators. Keep an eye on it from a distance and I bet you will see momma come back for her baby.
Oh, and if you were speaking of a human neighbor who dumped the bird onto your car port, please walk over and smack them for me! If you were speaking of the momma robin as your neighbor, she may not have thrown the baby out, sometimes they just fall out, it is normal.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks so much mbmouse. Yes, it is a human neighbor and I am very tempted to smack her... I couldn't believe she walked all the way up my driveway and dumped something over the back carport wall, then to find a baby bird tangled up in a bunch of brush about two feet down.....grrrr. I for now have it near the birdfeeder and am keeping my eye on it, hoping mom will come by. I don't see a nest around my yard but since my neighbor ditched it, the nest is probably over there. If I don't see the mom then not sure what to do, hope this works out ok. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:54 PM

This may sound strange but call down to Dollywood and ask to speak to a PERSON in the bird sanctuary and tell who ever answers that you have a baby bird that needs help is the reason you are calling them. It is more for birds of prey but I bet they would know who you could call close to Greeneville if Momma doesn't come get the baby. And if not, they can give you details directions on how to care for the bird if you are willing.
Wish we weren't leaving town in a few days, I would be happy to help you out with it.
It is awful that your neighbor dumped the brush pile on your property with baby in it, but then again if she didn't that baby shurly would not have a chance, you are doing the right thing. Make sure that dog food is really mushed up with as few lumps as possible in the mean time.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Thanks again mbmouse, and thanks for offering to help if you weren't going out of town. The mom never came for the baby, I have it in a box downstairs now. It turns out that I have to bring my dog to the vet tomorrow am and I will see if he can help it out. If not Dollywood is going to be my next step, thank you for that tip, I would never have thought about calling there! I am still in shock that she dumped the poor thing like that. I would never have known if I weren't in my sunroom reading this afternoon, saw her come up the driveway with a small bucket and dump it over a 5 ft wall that no one ever walks behind. Jeesh. Thanks again though, you really helped me lots!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:12 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Hey, this is the only thing I found online. Sorry, I lived in Greeneville for 18 years, but don't really know a lot about animal rescue.

Helping Paws Mountain View Rescue
Greeneville, TN 37743
(423) 638-4278
cdavispaws@adelphia.net

I guess you could call the humane society. They could give you a nudge in the right direction, too.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:35 PM

Be sure to keep the little guy warm, with soft cloth and a warm light bulb over head but not a heat lamp or hot pad, those are two hot and can cook the little thing. Keep the light bulb a foot or so away from the box. They have hollow bones and have a hard time keeping their body temp up but can get too hot fast too. If you can put your hand right over the bird under the bulb and feel just a warmth, but not a heat it should do the trick. Boy I hope that makes sense hahahahhaa.
Yes, call the animal rescues first thing in the morning if he makes it through the night. I was suggesting Dollywood only because they are open on Sundays. The local rescues/shelters probably won't be able to help you directly with the wild bird, they pretty much only deal with domestics but they should be able to get you numbers/connections to who can help.
Please keep us informed on how it all goes and who you find that can help and rescue the bird. There maybe other in the area that find them selves with a baby bird or other wild animal and will need to know the info too.
You are doing the right, good thing here.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 PM

TNorBust, How is the baby doing today? Were you able to get him to a rescue?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Very seldom will a baby bird make it 24 hours with no food or water. Especially if they are very very young. They crash quick.

We didn't have one around here either and we found a little cardinal that flew into a window at a local breakfast place here. Poor thing was really out of it. I took it to the vet and they said that the Senior Park Ranger at Rock Island State Park would take care of it. I'd never heard of a state park doing rehab type stuff for wildlife.

Anyway, took it over there and was amazed. She was so nice and very knowledgable. We've since taken many wild creatures over there to her when we find them injured. I was afraid I'd have to go take a wildlife class before we found her!! LOL!!

Anyway, the last time we went out we took a little black bird that kissed a vehicle. Found him in the middle of the road just sitting there. Took pictures at her place while we were there:

First, the bird we took over:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/MRS1885/Tennessee/Rock%20Isl%20SP%20Ranger/IMG_2076.jpg (broken link)

A baby deer. The mother - they think - was killed right after giving birth. A local nurseryman was walking the back line of his property and found the little one still in the afterbirth. Flies had laid eggs in it and the maggots were eating the little baby alive. He scooped it up and brought it over to her. She's not sure if he'll make it or not. Apparently baby deer are very hard to raise. The little pomeranian with him thinks she's mommy!!!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/MRS1885/Tennessee/Rock%20Isl%20SP%20Ranger/IMG_2109.jpg (broken link)

The baby raccoon:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/MRS1885/Tennessee/Rock%20Isl%20SP%20Ranger/IMG_2101.jpg (broken link)

A couple driving along hit the mom and killed her. They went back and found this little one. It was much younger then. They brought him in and she's been feeding him. Most likely, because he's so bonded to her, they'll have to keep him and use him in educational programs.

And she even takes in domestics. A couple camping found this little girl wrapped in a blanket at about 5 days old - eyes not even open yet - laying in the middle of a road. Nothing at all wrong with her, someone just dumped her apparently hoping she'd be killed by traffic. She was so starved and near death that you could see her intestines. She's been bottle feeding her and now she's healthy and happy. She was adopted by a co-workers brother or I would have taken her home in a heart beat!!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/MRS1885/Tennessee/Rock%20Isl%20SP%20Ranger/IMG_2117.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Thank you for sharing that with us.
I personally love hearing about those great folks that help our furry/feathered friends in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee