Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 04:32 AM

32 posts, read 129,487 times

Advertisements

We're trying to convince our family to move from Illinois to Eastern TN - probably near the Seymour area. My mother in law enjoys the outdoors and would like to live outside of a subdivision in the country. She's heard from several people that she'll see lots of dangerous snakes if she moves to TN. Can anyone tell me, is this really a concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 05:02 AM

43 posts, read 161,780 times
There are numerous snakes in this part of Tennessee as there are all over the US. There are four venomous types of snakes that call Eastern Tennessee home, they are: Copperhead, Cottonmouth, Timber Rattlesnake and Pigmy Rattlesnake.
"Tennessee Herpetological Society"
While these snakes are beautiful in their infancy they are very venomous. I hope this helps. Moderator cut: link

Last edited by Beretta; 07-27-2008 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: removed link to website that is non-functioning

Old 07-26-2008, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 9,162 times
Default Seymour, TN and your question about copperhead snakes

Hi,

I saw your thread asking about copperheads in Seymour, TN. The Seymour area is one of the fastest growing areas in East TN. It is centrally located about 5 miles from the southern edge of Knoxville, TN. Seymour is on the border of 3 counties, Knox, Sevier and Blount.

As for the copperheads, we have only encountered two baby copperheads since we moved here 4 years ago. I avoided them but my wife quickly dispatched them (killed them, with a shovel). We moved here in August of 2004 and we live in a small subdivision. I wouldn't let copperheads keep you from relocating to Seymour, TN.

My wife and I relocated to Seymour 4 years ago in August of 2004 after living in the Toledo, Ohio area for 48 years. We relocated here after vacationing in East TN several times and fell in love with the beauty of East TN.

Seymour is a small unincorporated town with a small business district with quite a few small businesses and as I said it is one of the most quickly growing areas in East TN. Seymour has at least three drug stores and two food stores and it's share of fast food restaurants. If you need anything further shopping wise, Knoxville, TN, Sevierville, TN and Maryville TN are all within a 20 to 30 minute drive and you can get just about anything you need. There are several area hospitals and lots of doctors in the area and dentist too. There is an airport in Maryville, TN that provides air transportation the Knoxville area and the rest of East TN and the name of the airport is Tyson-McGee. East TN has a big football fan base here because of the the University of Tennessee is located in Knoxville and the football stadium (Neyland Stadium) has 102,037 seats.

There are lots of subdivisions springing up around Seymour but there are lots of older neighborhoods too and you shouldn't have any trouble findiing a house within your price range. There are also some apartment complexes and condominiums here in Seymour and in the South Knoxville area. There are also many churches in the area and as far as I know the Schools are good here if you have school age children still at home. We however are in our mid 50's and the kids are all gone so that is not a concern to us.

We are glad that we moved here it is one of the most beautiful parts of the United States. It does get hot here in the summer as most of the south does, but the area has 4 distinct seasons and what I love after living in Northwest Ohio most of my life is that the winters here are very mild. We have met a lot of people since moving here that have relocated from other states. Most of the locals that I have met are very friendly.

Seymour is in the foothills of The Smoky Mountains and the Smoky Mountain National Park is about a 45 minute to an hour drive. We have a great view of the Smoky Mountains from our front yard, and a beautiful view with rolling hills outside of our back yard. There is lots of beautiful scenery in the area and many places to explore in East TN. My wife and I love it here and we wouldn't want to ever live anywhere else.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I just finished a class on reptiles and amphibians and was told the venomous Tennessee snakes have elliptical pupils (like cats eyes). Soooooo, if you want to know if the snake is venomous, kneel down on the ground next to it and go eyeball to eyeball...

Old 07-27-2008, 11:13 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I just finished a class on reptiles and amphibians and was told the venomous Tennessee snakes have elliptical pupils (like cats eyes). Soooooo, if you want to know if the snake is venomous, kneel down on the ground next to it and go eyeball to eyeball...
I love it!! I've tried to convince people to check that way and they'll have none of it!!

If she is worried she could try wearing sturdy hiking boots on her outings and baggy pants. For the most part the snakes want nothing to do with people and will attempt to get away from you. They only strike in self defense. So if you are worried about the rare chance encounter where a snake might strike, having the proper attire is a must. I dress in baggy pants and boots to also avoid large thorns and other biting pests.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:04 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
ldalebert - Welcome to the Forum!!! The original post was in August of 2006 and the poster has not posted at all on here since October of 2007. However, I think your post was very nice and informative. We have another active member on here from Seymour, gailli. Take care.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 PM

120 posts, read 1,171,187 times
I was told the same thing when I moved to TN. I also have heard many stories from friends how the saw a rattlesnake, or had a dozen copperheads in there house. Yet I have not seen any venomous snakes yet. I am in the counrty for sure. So If I was to see one this is the area for it. The only snake I ever saw is the black snake ( I think it is just like a garden snake) It was three different times and in the woods. I don't believe it will be a worry for your Mom-In-Law

Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 AM

41 posts, read 190,329 times
The only good snake, is a dead snake.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 PM

120 posts, read 1,171,187 times
LOL...I know many people who think that same way.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
I'm not a huge snake fan, but why are snakes like the most hated creature on earth? I think more people get killed by hippos than snakes. If the snake is outside leave it alone. It will go do its own thing. I realize many of you have kids, the best thing to do is to educate them on what is safe and what isn't safe. Believe it or not the snake populations are declining. I hate to see that since snakes play such an important role in food chain. Snakes eat mosquitoes and other nasty bugs/rodents.

Stay away from them and they will stay away from you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee