U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 PM

235 posts, read 730,276 times

Advertisements

WELL I JUST WAS READING ANOTHER THREAD & SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT TAXES?!! I UNDERSTAND THAT YA'LL DON'T HAVE STATE INCOME TAXES?,BUT I SEE THAT YOUR TAX BASE 8.5%. WHERE WE ARE 7% AND WE HAVE STATE INCOME TAX. CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME THANKS!!! I BELIEVE THAT IT SOUNDS LIKE YA'LL HAVE BETTER SCHOOLS,(I KNOW THAT YOUR ROADS ARE BETTER),AND THINGS HAVE SEEMED TO BE CHEAPER THERE.WE LIVED IN A POOR STATE,AND IT SEEMS THAT THE TAXES WE PAY IN DOESN'T DO ANY GOOD HERE,PS OUR TAGS ARE SKY HIGH!!!!WHILE OUR STATE INSPECTION IS CHEAP!!

Last edited by southernfried; 07-30-2008 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: ADD MORE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 AM

6,289 posts, read 22,224,946 times
We don't have a state income tax on wages (there is an income tax on certain investment income). Our sales tax is higher than most states (on both food and other items). Property tax is usually reasonable in most areas (it varies by city and/or county). Other county or state fees are acceptable; for example, here in Nashville car tag renewal is either $60 or $80 (I've forgotten which). Most counties do not have a annual pollution inspection for cars, but a few do (such as Nashville) and the fee is around $10.

Normally when I see lists comparing the tax burden in Tennessee and other states, Tennessee is usually in the bottom 10.

Does that help?

Last edited by alleycat; 07-31-2008 at 04:18 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 AM

40 posts, read 106,326 times
Tax burden? Try a 10% tax on goods in Chicago

Old 07-31-2008, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 24,143 times
Here in Overton County, the price you pay to renew your auto tags includes what they call a "wheel tax" which is $30.50 per vehicle plus the $24 for the actual renewal tag (stickers). Property taxes aren't too bad and there is no state tax but they more than make up on it for the 9.75% sales tax. Some food isn't taxed at some local stores but for the most part everything gets taxed twice at a lot of the stores here. I didn't know all this until I started doing my own taxes a few years ago and saved every receipt and as I was going through them, I started noticing these things. I also found one local store charged me a penny for gas everytime I went in there... thing is, I NEVER bought gas from them. Live and learn I guess.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 PM

235 posts, read 730,276 times
Thumbs up Helpfull!!

YALL ARE MOST HELPFULL !! I WAS JUST WONDERING , BECAUSE HERE OUR STATE INSPECTION IS 5.00, 10.00 IF YOU HAVE TINTED WINDOWS, NO SMOG CHECK,WHOA... THAT IS GOOD FOR ME CAUSE I DON'T HAVE A CAT ON TRUCK. IT'S OLDER '94. TALKING ABOUT TAGS, BE GLAD YALL DON'T LIVE HERE CAUSE IF YOU LIVE IN THE CITY,AND HAVE A NEW CAR/TRK YOUR TAG COULD BE MORE THAN 1000.00,BUT LIVE IN THE COUNTY AND YOUR TAG IS CHEAPER,600.00, IT REALY DEPENDS ON WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE YOU HAVE.

ABOUT THE SMOG CHECKS ARE THEY STRICT IN/OR AROUND COKVL/CRSVL.

PS ABOUT THE TAG A FREIND OF MINE HAS A CORVETTE,06 (USED)AND HIS TAG WAS 1689.00 IN THE CITY!!!HE ABOUT CRIED!! ALSO I THINK I'M NOT STUPID,BUT WHAT IS LOL?? TAHNKS!!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 PM

763 posts, read 2,165,756 times
It sounds as if there's an ad velorum (sp?) tax where you are, so an older, more inexpensive car would be cheaper to register.

In TN, you also have to remember that you will pay state, county, and city property taxes, depending upon where you live.

Chattanooga also has an emissions requirement, but I've been told that it is $60. I was reading an article the other day that because of people exiting the cities to avoid these high taxes, they are trying to make them mandatory in all counties.

TN also has a death tax, as well as several "hidden" taxes.

The cost of living is low, so you can live well on a lower income, but they sock it to you in taxes.

TN also socks it to people with the top marginal corporate income tax. TN ranks 47th (with one being lowest) on sales tax, but with many counties such as Hamilton adding their own sales tax, you will be paying the highest sales tax in the USA. The rest of TN's tax burden is 15th which isn't too bad.

So, no state income tax, which is very good, but the other taxes are pretty high.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:08 AM

24 posts, read 90,981 times
How do taxes work?

It's a lot like the operation run in Nevada called the Bunny Ranch.

You give them money and in return you get......well....uh, better not say.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:22 AM

6,289 posts, read 22,224,946 times
LOL is Laughing Out Loud.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:46 AM

9 posts, read 24,143 times
LOL .... Bunny Ranch, Mustang Ranch... at least Nevada made it legal AND enjoyable (for some). TN just legally taxes the heck out of its ppl. Either way, KY Jelly should come with the "welcome package"

Last edited by TamedAngel; 08-01-2008 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: 'cause I forgot the LOL!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:27 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,164,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamedAngel View Post
LOL .... Bunny Ranch, Mustang Ranch... at least Nevada made it legal AND enjoyable (for some). TN just legally taxes the heck out of its ppl. Either way, KY Jelly should come with the "welcome package"
Taxes like temperature and my brother in law are relative. In suburban Chicago I am paying over $6000.00 a year in property tax, 3% income tax, $2.00 a day in tolls to drive 80 mi, round trip,to work, 7-10.25% depending on what part on metro Chicago you are in when you shop. I just paid $156 to register two cars. Give me the welcome package, save the KY for someone who does not believe they are moving into heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee