Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:45 PM

36 posts, read 45,078 times

Advertisements

Rumors have been rife that Macy's was coming to Johnson City, mostly because we've been getting their television advertising the last year or so. That would be wonderful, but I don't believe it. I used to attend church with a guy who worked in administration at Macy's in Florida for several years before moving to Tennessee. He said Macy's used to advertise only where they had stores, but was getting better rates to go nationwide--so they now advertise nationally regardless of whether there's a store in an area.

I haven't been in a really good department store in a few years, so I can't speak for the upper tiers, but in the southeast at least department stores are carrying too much stuff that you can get at discount stores at better prices: Stein Mart, T.J. Max, Ross, Penney's. It's no wonder most department stores are struggling: they're selling stuff you can get everywhere. What's the point of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 07:50 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
No Nordstrom's??? I may have some rethinking to do.

A Macy's would be terrific, then all of the gifts I buy for my relatives and friends up in the north country that don't fit or whatever, they could return themselves!

Macy's has several stores in the Atlanta area and they are all over the NE and Midwest. Great department stores with fabulous clearance sales.
There are 5-6 Macy's in Nashville and a few in Memphis, but they're the only ones in Tennessee. I have to admit that I was surprised and disappointed that the old Parisian in Knoxville wasn't sold to Macy's. Belk bought the entire Parisian chain and is converting the old Knoxville store into a regular Belk so that there will be two Belk stores in the same mall. I hate that.

I have my doubts that Knoxville will ever see a swank department store like Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's, but I'm really surprised that Nashville doesn't have one. The financial base in Nashville is probably double Knoxville's. Supposedly the Mall at Green Hills in Nashville is about to announce a new department store to its line-up, and most are speculating that it'll be a Nordstrom. If that's the case, it'll make for a fun weekend shopping trip to Nashville.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:59 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
I apologize in advance for crashing this thead with an off topic post; however, I just gotta say it.

I WANT A TRADER JOE'S HERE SO BAD

If I could get a Nordstrom's and a Trader Joe's in the Knoxville area I would be SO HAPPY!

<now back to your regularly scheduled thread>

Old 09-15-2007, 08:51 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Being the kind of person who only goes to a mall/department store when I need something and then goes straight to where the item is, purchases it and goes directly home, I've never really understood the appeal of shopping. My first thought, when I looked at this thread was, don't those stores have a website where you can make a purchase (no matter where you live)? But now that I think about it, I'm guessing online shopping is more for people like me, who, for example, want to look at the shoes, purchase a pair, then leave without looking at the dresses, jewelry, appliances, cosmetics, etc., on that particular day. I confess that even before I go to a store, I'll go online first to make sure they have what I want.

Why do you like to shop? Have you ever thought about it? Did you always like to shop? Did your mother or father like to shop, too? About what percent of your shopping do you do online? Do you ever shop at the stores you really like, online, or is that method only for items you can't get in person? Before you moved to Tennessee, did the location of particular stores influence where you chose to live? When you make a trip to the mall are you usually there for something you need right away or don't need right away but want right away (one reason not to shop online)? As you got older, did you spend more, less or about the same amount of time shopping? Do your kids (or spouse) enjoy shopping as much as you do? Do you prefer to shop alone or with someone?

I'm just curious. I see shopping the same as I would any other hobby. If it gives you enjoyment, you do it and you devote more time to doing it. But since shopping is something everybody has to do, it's a little bit different than other hobbies.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:58 AM

119 posts, read 396,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why do you like to shop?
I'm just curious. I see shopping the same as I would any other hobby. If it gives you enjoyment, you do it and you devote more time to doing it. But since shopping is something everybody has to do, it's a little bit different than other hobbies.
I'm also not a big shopper. I buy way more for my house than I do for me. For some reason I love buying new sheets, new towels, etc. I wonder what Dr. Phil would say about that?

Old 09-15-2007, 04:47 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There are 5-6 Macy's in Nashville and a few in Memphis, but they're the only ones in Tennessee. I have to admit that I was surprised and disappointed that the old Parisian in Knoxville wasn't sold to Macy's. Belk bought the entire Parisian chain and is converting the old Knoxville store into a regular Belk so that there will be two Belk stores in the same mall. I hate that.

I have my doubts that Knoxville will ever see a swank department store like Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's, but I'm really surprised that Nashville doesn't have one. The financial base in Nashville is probably double Knoxville's. Supposedly the Mall at Green Hills in Nashville is about to announce a new department store to its line-up, and most are speculating that it'll be a Nordstrom. If that's the case, it'll make for a fun weekend shopping trip to Nashville.
Yes, we lost the Parisian chain here in the Atlanta area. Glad to hear about the Macy's in Nashville. I am not a frequent mall visitor and when I do go I tend to make it multi-purpose (every gift or item that I might need for the next 2 months). So, I will probably do weekend trips for shopping, also. I do love the mall atmosphere and the variety that you can find at large malls. Don't forget a Talbots!

I am also a fan of shopping off the internet for electronics, books, collectibles (oh, yeah, EBAY), and things that my kids or grandkids mention specifically.

SmokyMtnGal, I am going to miss our Trader Joe's when we move! Let's get a petition going to encourage them to consider Knoxville as a prime market. Sounds good to me.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 09-15-2007 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: misspelled word!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee