Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:11 PM

6 posts, read 32,379 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm From The Northeast And Due To Medical Reasons Must Relocate To A Warmer Place And I Don't Have More Than 130k To Spend On Housing, I Am Disabled. I Wanted To Know How Southerners Will Except Me Because I Am Not From A Southern Background. Is The Culture Much Different? I Don't Speak Like I Am From The South, Will I Ever Be Excepted Or Is It No Problem Anymore Like I Heard It Was In The Past. I Need To Learn More About People From This Area And Suggestions On Where I Would Fit In. I Am A White Female Disabled Veteran. Appreciate All Responses, Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 05:53 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Thumbs up BIG Chattanooga WELCOME.!

I guarantee you a BIG Warm VETERAN welcome in the Chattanooga area. We have active Vietnam unit here for welcome home Reserve units and also too many local Funerals. Motorcycle units for the new security/protest watch.
. Many church groups have welcomed Gulf Coast Katrina victims and even BUILT them homes so everyone is welcomed to grow our church communities.
Also I will add Chattanooga is very PRO-Active with the Prothesis industry. (One of our church members owns a company). There are many city Olympic / charity events here as is a medical / insurance employment city.
Even today our new employer stated there is a $300 hiring BONUS to bring in good people. Region is quite hilly in sections if in wheelchair, but your welcome to build right next door to me. WaterSki here, Ex snow Ski Racer...[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-29-2007, 08:03 PM

176 posts, read 799,758 times
Default Come on Down

My wife and I are from New York State (definitely not part of the South) and have not encountered one iota of problems. In fact, we have more friends of all different backgrounds (religious, cultural, etc.) than we ever had in NY. We accept others as they are and they accept us. This area has been great to us.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
Hi, Your welcome to come to Cookeville Tennessee because you will be with thousands of other people from all over the United States. This is a college town and it's also mainly for retired people.

John

Old 01-29-2007, 10:05 PM

37 posts, read 173,678 times
God Bless You Girl!!!!!!!!!! You will be welcomed anywhere in America!!!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,475 times
Dear Skiheaven,
I am also a yankke trying to move to tn. I have read posts on this board and been to tn. I hvae encountered some of the nicest ,warmest peolpe here and in tn. I look forward to making my way there.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:52 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiheaven View Post
Hi, I'm From The Northeast And Due To Medical Reasons Must Relocate To A Warmer Place And I Don't Have More Than 130k To Spend On Housing, I Am Disabled. I Wanted To Know How Southerners Will Except Me Because I Am Not From A Southern Background. Is The Culture Much Different? I Don't Speak Like I Am From The South, Will I Ever Be Excepted Or Is It No Problem Anymore Like I Heard It Was In The Past. I Need To Learn More About People From This Area And Suggestions On Where I Would Fit In. I Am A White Female Disabled Veteran. Appreciate All Responses, Thank You
Don't know if you need to be in the vicinity of VA Medical facilities but here is a list I found on the web:

Alvin C. York VA Medical Center - Murfreesboro, Tennessee
James H. Quillen VA Medical Center - Mountain Home, Washington County, Tennessee
Memphis Veterans Affairs Medical Center - Memphis, Tennessee
Nashville VA Medical Center - Nashville, Tennessee
VA Mid South Healthcare Network (VISN 9) - Nashville, Tennessee Alvin C.

There are vet centers in Chattanooga, Johnson City, Knoxville, Memphis, Nashville.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 PM

28 posts, read 80,932 times
I am also a Yankee that has relocated to Cookeville. I love it here and have never had any problems with being accepted. It's a great area, within 2 hours to several major cities if you need more action. I like the peace and quiet, plus it's cheap to live here!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:13 AM

216 posts, read 701,386 times
It is great. I am originally from NY (Staten Island). The people here all make fun of me for bein a yankee but its all out of fun. The ladies always ask me to say certain words. They want to hear my "accent" they do not believe me that I do not have an accent.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:59 AM

76 posts, read 307,286 times
Talking Tennessee Yankee

I am chuckling to myself as I write this. I had a whole different experience in Decatur County, TN. At first I was just called a Yankee. When I set up a household I became a Da** Yankee. I can't tell you how many times, once opening my mouth to speak, that I got the comment, "You ain't from around here, are ya boy".
Some of it was good natured ribbing and I would remind them that more Tennessee Regiments fought on the Union side, rather than the Confederate side, during the Civil War.
Some folks were sincerely obnoxious with their Yankee attitude though. Somehow I was perceived as being smarter than they were. They riled me to the point of an apology. I apologized for finishing 3rd grade. Granted, I did not win over any new friends with that comment.
Then I visited Shiloh National Cemetery. I finally understood some of their negative sentiment. Shiloh is a Yankee Cemetery, smack-dab in the middle of Rebel Country. The Yankees are buried in neatly arranged plots. There's a mass grave for the Rebels.
Decatur County, TN does not have much in the way of employment opportunities. Not like you can find around the larger cities. I like the post that listed the VA hospitals for you. I have been to the Memphis VA Hospital and was impressed. As you can tell from these previous posts, you WILL run into some good southern hospitality.
I have moved back to Yankee Territory, Indiana. I continue to visit Tennessee, about twice a year, and am not welcomed so negatively. Since they have very few employment opportunities, they covet what they have. I guess they just don't appreciate Yankees coming down and taking what little they have, again. Now, I am just another Yankee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee