Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 20,632 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been to TN many times and love it there and would love to relocate with our girls. I did an online survey of best places to live "****.com" and found Paris TN was a good fit for me and my husband. Can anyone tell me about Paris?
please email me at cbasv@yahoo.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 08:27 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn4me View Post
My husband and I have been to TN many times and love it there and would love to relocate with our girls. I did an online survey of best places to live "****.com" and found Paris TN was a good fit for me and my husband. Can anyone tell me about Paris?
please email me at cbasv@yahoo.com
I don't know how much stock I'd put into that web site. I tried it, and it told me I should live in Clarksdale, Mississippi. I've been to Clarksdale, it's one of the poorest, dirtiest, most crime-ridden towns in the country. It's the complete opposite of most of the answers I put in that survey. For example, I made it a point to put in the survey that I like mountains, snow skiing, and the symphony. Clarksdale is flat as a pancake, hot, steamy, hundreds of miles from the closest mountain and two hours from the closest symphony (Memphis). What a crock.

Anyway, Paris is a nice little town, close to a major lake, nice golf courses. The schools are decent for Tennessee, both school systems (city and county) received A's and B's on the state report card. Paris is pretty isolated, Clarksville is the closest big city, the Nashville airport is a couple of hours away. Henry County has a pretty high unemployment rate, 6.3 percent.

But it's a quaint little town with a nice main square. If you already have a job lined up in Paris, it might be worth a look. There are certainly worse places to live.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 PM

19 posts, read 152,710 times
how funny! I was just about to post a question about Paris, TN. I took the quiz too and this town was my number one answer. There's lots of cheap houses and land there, that's for sure. Does anyone else have any other thoughts on Paris? There seem to be a lot of manufacturing type companies there, would it be hard to get a job at one of those places?

Old 01-31-2007, 08:12 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,506 times
That site's probably run by a realtor or something trying to get people to move there...?

In fairness, there was a question that you had to answer what you do NOT like, and listed beaches, mountains, lakes, etc.

JMT, is it possible you didn't read carefully before answering?

Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,506 times
Yeah, now I'm convinced more than ever it's a developer or realtor or someone--Clarksdale, MS is number one for me too.

And I said the symphony, cultural events, etc. was of no importance to me.

And the rest of "my top spots?"

Hopkinsville, KY
Paris, TN

...although they do list Maryville TN! lol

Ugh now I'm aggravated that I entered my address and email. blecch.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:27 PM

19 posts, read 152,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Yeah, now I'm convinced more than ever it's a developer or realtor or someone--Clarksdale, MS is number one for me too.

Hopkinsville, KY
Paris, TN

I think it mostly depends on the climate you specify, what size town/city you say you want, and what housing price you request.

For me, my results make sense because I requested the cheapest houses possible in a small town with a nice climate, and that's what my results said. If you had asked for a big city, it would have given you big cities.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post

Hopkinsville, KY
Paris, TN

Yeah I think it's a scam! Certain cities must pay to be part of it, or something. I mean, Clarksdale?? Funny that you said the symphony and cultural events were not important to you. I said that they ARE important to me. I even took the quiz twice just to make sure, both times it came back as Clarksdale. UGH!!! I said I wanted mountains, snow skiing, the symphony, college sports, and proximity to an airport. And it gave me yucky Clarksdale, Mississippi. TWICE.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 17,496 times
Default Paris, Tn.

I was born and raised in and around Paris, Tn. Paris is a very nice small town with very reasonable cost of living. The absence of "earned" income taxes will be a welcome relief for anyone from a 'taxing' state. Yes, the sales tax is higher, 9.75% but unless all you do is buy, buy and buy, then you certainly won't pay near as much as you do in an earned income tax situation. Also, you'll find it very nice not to have to pay property taxes on your vehicles, boats, golf carts and such. Property taxes in Henry county are just that, only on your property (land) and improvements (home). You will find that $100,000 will purchase you a nice 3/2 home unless you want lots of land with it. The summers are hot and humid. The winters are not too bad. Cold weather usually starts in November and lasts through February. You are apt to get snow in any of these months, but most likely in January or February, and usually it's only inches and won't last more than two to three days. If you like a rural, laid back lifestyle, then Paris is the place. There is a good hospital and good doctors at the Henry County Medical Center. The town has several decent restaurants, and you just have to try the catfish. There is a big festival the last week in April of every year called Fish Fry Week, complete with beauty pagents, golf tournaments, cat fish races, rodeos and a huge fish fry at the fair grounds. Kentucky Lake is only about 20 minutes from Paris (4-lane highway) and is great if you like water sports. If you are into big concerts, opry and such, you will not like Paris. As with any small town, it's really important that you reach out to meet people. I would recommend any of the wonderful churches as a starting place.
Post again so I'll know what you decided and good luck.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,330 times
For a perspective on Paris, take a look at the local newspaper: http://www.parispi.net/index.php

I grew up in Paris and I still know people around the area. There are several manufacturing plants there but some have closed in recent years. But, people who are there make a living somehow and those I know have decent jobs or have their own small businesses. If you like to fish, you'll like Paris because it's a really big thing there. (Home of the World's Biggest Fish Fry!)

You can also find out some things about Paris by doing a search in this forum -- there are a few threads already about it. Good Luck!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 37,464 times
I currently live in paris, and we really like it here. Paris has a good sense of community and for a samll town, there is a lot going on. Like most places, you have to join in--if you want to sit at home and have people coem to you, just go to a retirement home. But if you are willing to get involved (and there are lots of opportuinties) you will find that you might have to start turning things down. Good luck on your search. It is unfortuate, but we will be moving, only because of employment, I would have preferred to remain here.
Although my house is not "cheap", depending on what you are planning to spend, it is a bargain (and is for sale) ;')
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee