Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,430,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Something is wrong----

yes- US healthcare-the system isnt working. Its not your fault you are in Rogersville, and now cannot find a dr.

The insurance co's and their nickel and diming Americans who paid into the system for decades- while ER for illegals is paid by our taxes. A universal healthcare system would fix that.

My brother is a surgeon- they work hard- they didnt pay 6 figures to get a superior education and be inundated with insurance company red tape- so they have to open a practice in Asheville, or Baltimore, or NYC. The government needs to fix the problem. It is an imperialist system that hasnt worked since the 70's.

sunny

Why doesn't that surprise me....lol.....As usual, you are right on, baby...right on!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 AM

10 posts, read 23,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Former NY'er (lol how did I translate- my ex is from Brooklyn)

Something is wrong in the US and its not people from NY, Florida or Michigan. Its not just rudeness, hurricanes or lack of stable professions~~~

People react to their environment- they moved out of Port St Lucie, Tampa and Ft Myers because at age 33, they cant work for 15.90 an hour and believe platitudes. Insurance companies and lobbyists getting away with murder= government corruption

Head start isnt working =
Schools are spiraling, people cant afford daycare and some places have no infrastructure. People are angry. People are trying to raise a family.

people on LI had the attitude life is what you make it lol- now they are paying 15k a year in school tax. Something is wrong in government- its not your neighbor, Its not NYers or people from Michigan. We live in a supposed democracy- those elected must be held accountable-
History has taught a few of us who could read/understand/remember it that one either takes their ferment and turns it to foment (as built into the U.S. Constitution), expecting Marshal Law and a totalitarian replacement, or else proceeds legally and sues their government. The latter results in interminably bogged-down litigation (e.g. Native American cases). So does Bastille or Boston Tea matter any longer? Baaaah'd choices, Business As Usual consequences? We are all tired of fighting our way out of a plastic bag, and we're suffocating in the process. If the Mayan prediction is correct, why worry about anything? Personally, I'm tired of being sick and tired and might as well enjoy what's in front of me; I'm staying put for now. The landscape looks the same everywhere these days.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYCOUNTRY View Post
The Floridians that are hated the most in Georgia are the ones that have a home in Georgia and one in Florida. They stay here most of the year but claim that there main home is in Florida that way they dont have to pay the Georgia taxes its really a slap in the face. I thought the worse thing to see behind your vehicle was a trooper but know its a Floridians SUV pulling a u-haul makes me cringe.
Funny, Johnny!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,902,630 times
[quote=blueoktober;326022]Oh I agree with you Baby Firefly! People used to make fun of me so bad for being from Middle Tennessee and now they are moving here in droves.

But there are parts that are still nice. Murfreesboro is booming but people seem to be friendly there and not snobby.

I am in Murfreesboro and can attest to that above statement. I have to pinch myself sometimes. Not only are they nice, their kids are so polite and well behaved...they are strong disciplinarians and it shows. It's like it was 30 years ago here - Strangers smile at you...my neighbor just mowed my lawn!
people in stores chat it up. Strangers will come up to me and offer to help carry packages, etc. Unbelievable...and I came from Buffalo supposedly the city of good neighbors which I could never understand. I never found that to be the case but here? Thye're genuinely nicer down here! I really love that and appreciate it everyday I am here. Welcome to the south...lay back and take a page from their book...that's my advice. Embrace what is given to you and stop looking for what you left...life is a journey...12buttons

Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,902,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLiz View Post
That is so sad. I am looking into Greenesville or perhaps Marysville. Maybe I can avoid some of the congestion and bad attitude since I won't have to be in a large city for a job.
It's all relative - Murfreesboro is booming but not to the tune of nashville - it is a healthy boom meaning your real estate is only going to go up - it has a small town vibe still...people are MUCH friendlier here than Nashville or Brentwood..schools are great - downtown is neat..lots of family oriented activities - jazz festivals, etc. Football season, the entire town gets behind GOblue!
Houses are MUCH cheaper here, you get more land, and the taxes are a lot less...

Old 10-01-2007, 03:12 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,044 times
Folks RELAX please. I could not read this whole thread , to long LOL. Please do not take this the wrong way. But do not blame newcomers for all your changes. This is called progress. 15 years ago we would not be talking to each other , would we? not everyone had computers. We can not selectively pick and choose the things that change all of our home states . Back when I was young Long Island was very country and beautifull, well I cant say those darn yankees moved in and ruined it or the floridians either. We all have to realize that as we get older the way we grew up will disapear. for the better or worse. some things will be better . some will not. sorry that is the way it is . No one will come to Tennessee and tell people to change there way of life , it will happen from the people looking for the next big thing to make money. Do all of you actually think that it is all out of towners building new roads and resteraunts? I believe there are plenty of native Tennesseans fattening there bank accounts. Not everyone that grew up there wants the country life style, they want to make big money and live in cities. How many kids go off to college and return to work at pops store ? between 20 and 40 they are out looking for the things they did not have growing up in a rural area. They will jump at the chance to cash in on there own growing state. Then they get older and want to look for what they grew up with and it is no longer there. Heck in twenty years we will go to the arkansas board and they will be complaining about the people from tennessee moving there.lol What I am trying to say is that change is inevitable no matter who moves there. Most of the people moving there do not want it to change that is why they are moving there. This is not the wild west where we are moving west to build new towns and cities folks. If people wanted New york city they would go there , cali they would go there also, That is not what they are looking for. But when you got people moving in it creates jobs and money, builders put people to work, more roads means more road workers , more stores , resteraunts and so on. with this comes money in the economy and that changes things. That is why you will see starbucks now, if they could not do well they wouldnt have put one there would they? I have one question I allways here people say I hate when people move here and say we did it this way back home , can someone give me an example? I have no idea how someone from , say, New York city could say well on 42nd street we milked the cows this way that is the way you should do it. If someone from down south showed me a way he did something in tennessee and it was better then the way I was doing it would I tell him ,oh that is nice and there is route 95? No I would not I would say thanks that is great. cool how did you do this also? Try not to be so closed minded we all have good ideas to share with each other. Somethings are better up north and some are better in the south, But remember nobody is wrong.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,563,377 times
Hi, I was in Nashville two days ago and I counted 6 cars from New Jersey. Nashville I have found is more friendly then here in Cookeville TN for some reason. I have family that live on the west side Nashville. I think it because people are happier because people are making a good wage and have better jobs compared to people outside of Nashville. I have a cousin that makes $20.00 an hour running a backhoe. And another thing he is non-union and still making 20.00 an hour.

John

Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,581,033 times
I have seen in the last month alone, alot more FL, NY and NJ as well as Michigan plates.

This is a good thing, IMO; I am in Tri-Cities and everyoine assimilates...

sunny

Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,563,377 times
I'm from Michigan myself and parents was from Tennessee. I've lived in Tennessee sence 1994.

John

Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM

390 posts, read 1,700,830 times
We are very conscious of plates, because we just moved here. Here in Chattanooga, we have noticed more CA plates than FL plates. Other than that, we have only noticed plates from Alabama, Georgia (of course), and Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee