Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 01:15 PM

23 posts, read 81,775 times

Advertisements

Well I've been on here a few times asking for info on TN and researching myself... and I've came to the conclusion on the perfect area for myself and my girlfriend, and that would be Harrogate, TN and surrounding area (or the Cumberland Gap I guess they call it). They have a private university their (Lincoln Memorial) where my girlfriend looked into and liked alot. Depending on when they accept her or not will depend on how soon we leave. Hopefully spring semester of '09. Anyone ever lived in this area that can give me some insight as to what kind of jobs are down their if any... factory, labor, railway (I'm pretty sure they got a railway system down their), logging, anything. Anyways any comments or suggestions would be great. P.S. im going down to Parsons, TN for this weekend for some catfishing. Any good spots down their for entertainment? Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:25 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
Well I've been on here a few times asking for info on TN and researching myself... and I've came to the conclusion on the perfect area for myself and my girlfriend, and that would be Harrogate, TN and surrounding area (or the Cumberland Gap I guess they call it). They have a private university their (Lincoln Memorial) where my girlfriend looked into and liked alot. Depending on when they accept her or not will depend on how soon we leave. Hopefully spring semester of '09. Anyone ever lived in this area that can give me some insight as to what kind of jobs are down their if any... factory, labor, railway (I'm pretty sure they got a railway system down their), logging, anything. Anyways any comments or suggestions would be great. P.S. im going down to Parsons, TN for this weekend for some catfishing. Any good spots down their for entertainment? Thanks alot.
Things there in Harrogate are hopping these days. They have a new medical school there at LMU which is bringing in new students all the time. It's a spectacularly beautiful region that's pretty secluded yet only 90 minutes or so from Knoxville.

However, it's still a very, very small town that doesn't have a whole lot of anything. The closest "big" town is Middlesboro KY which is right on the other side of the mountain. But the economy there is pretty bad with lots of unemployment and pretty steep population decline. If you're not too picky about the kinds of jobs you get, you could probably land something at the Middlesboro Wal-Mart or somewhere like that. It's an old coal mining town that has seen much better days.

But who knows, you might have better luck. I've always said that there's always work available for anyone willing to work hard. Good luck with your move!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
I grew up in harrogate, parents still live there, and I still visit there many weekends. My assessments:

1. LMU is doing some really great things. New students are coming in, and rental housing demand is picking up much quicker than supply.

2. Area is beautiful and some of the nicest people ever live there.

3. Like the other poster said, there are practically no jobs. No logging that I know of, there is a railroad in Cumberland Gap but im not sure if it employs a significant amount of people. IF you are good at labor, there are MANY planned apartment and condo style housing being planned right now to accommodate the new students and they will need people to put those up I am sure. Other than that, its pretty much grocery stores and fast food jobs.

4. The are is going through some rough publicity in the past few years from their political figures. they have had very bad luck with sheriffs, with one getting bad publicity for simply not showing up to work for nearly a year without telling anyone where he was at. The TBI was getting involved and the county was forced to keep paying him because the cost to remove him from office would be more than the cost of his remaining salary for his term. THEN the next sheriff has received bad publicity for allegedly raping a minor while in office (he recently received judicial diversion after some of the charges were dropped). There are many more instances that I could get into of this type thing, but I mentioned the sheriff situations because they have received the most publicity regionally.

So no place is perfect, but as long as you can get a good job and dont care about the political figures, it could be a great place for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee