Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastchance4gas View Post
I moved to eastern TN in July after spending my entire life in New England. I am semi-retired and had planned on moving to northern Maine, but east TN won out in the end. We had only one previous visit to TN (visited Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge). We did not reloacte to Sevier County though. My wife and I like it here very much- of course no place is perfect. Should anyone wish information about moving here, post or email me and I will be happy to answer when I can. but sometimes I only get to this site once per week.
hello, we are native born connecticut yankees looking to relocate to tenn. we are interested in information from tenneessee . we are interested in a small community possibly doing some farming. we are tired of high taxes imports (hahahaha) and not being to afford anything anymore. we are high school educated people who have worked hard to buy the good things in life but are sooner or later gonna lose it all if we dont get out of here quick. how is the cost of living down there as from what i researched so far it is much better than here. our house is for sale and we wanna leave within the next year. is the job market good ? or at least can we support ourselves living there ? we are looking at lebanon, gray or johnson city are these areas good locations? any info would certainly help. thanks you can email us at roger.gray@snet.net looking forward to hearing from you or anyone else who reads this post. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 10:52 AM

55 posts, read 171,535 times
Default Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd in VT View Post
I grew up in Boston, have lived in Northern NH and as I am typing this, I have 34" of snow on my lawn her in Northern VT. Winters are long and tough here. We are seriously considering relocating to East TN but have some concerns. Drugs. It sounds like Meth labs are everywhere (by reading some of the posts) and half the cops are on the take. I know I cant believe everthing I read but I have small kids and this scares me.
I have been told meth labs were once a big problem here in TN, but not much anymore. Not sure, but they tell me enforcement, harsher laws and most important, the strict control of the chemicals used to make the stuff led to the great decline in labs. I'm not saying they are not out there, just that they are so few and far between now it shouldn't be a major concern to you.

Having moved from a crime ridden New England city, this place is a breeze. I would not hesitate moving here with children.

There are ocassional problems with corruption in law enforcement as you said. I think part of the problem is the very low wages they pay the police and sheriffs here. Still, to paint a picture of a bunch of corrupt cops would be innaccurate.

Northern Vermont is beautiful and I am sure its just as safe as it is there. It is my understanding that VT has the lowest crime rate in the U.S., so I guess no matter where YOU go, there will be some increase.

Best of luck in your quest for a better place to live.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 AM

31 posts, read 98,032 times
I'm thinking of retiring from CT. Was there a big difference in the cost of living?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:17 AM

The cost of living in TN is much lower than New England. Be aware, however, wages here are much lower too. Big savings are property taxes and cheaper land and homes. The biggest drawback is high sales tax. When you put it all on the table though, the cost is much lower. I think it's are great place to retire or semi-retire, but it would be best to have a pension or other funds for most of your income.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:55 PM

69 posts, read 125,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastchance4gas View Post
We wound up in Jefferson County.
Where in Jefferson County are you LastChance? I just moved to Dandridge in May... I am on Zirkle Road passed the historic district..

Old 09-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolorzanoAssociates View Post
Where in Jefferson County are you LastChance? I just moved to Dandridge in May... I am on Zirkle Road passed the historic district..
Sorry for the tardy reply. Moved to Baneberry. Love it here.
Zirkle Road is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee