Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:21 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptin2010 View Post
I have a question that may be stupid but I do not know the answer. I currently live in PA and our gas prices have not changed in the past few days ($3.51/gallon). My parents live in TN and they drove up to visit yesterday and they said that gas stations were running out of gas and that the lines were huge for the places that did have gas. Can someone explain to me why the gas in the south which is closer to the refineries is higher than it is here? Do we get our gas from a different refinery? Honestly I do not know the answer.
Taxes on gas. Florida is a heavy gas taxer. I can go to Alabama and expect to pay .20 cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Thank you Laura C, and others. I hadn't thought of that. I'll go back out and buy food because I am extremely low.

I just drove by Citgo, and don't you know that it is now $4.99, just like everyone else.

Then we stop at McDonald's and they are charging 30 cents for lettuce, tomatoes and sauce. What?

I just got my electric, water and sewer bill and it went up $50.00, even though it may have gone down. It says I have a "projected" bill. What the heck does that mean?

Thanks for letting me whine. I really think this is nuts!
Projected means they didn't even bother coming out to read your meter, they just simply estimated. You need to get on the phone with them and ask for someone to come out and read it immediately.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:36 PM

This country needs to reduce our dependence on oil or ALL OF THIS is going to quickly become the norm and then we all have to live with it. Write your Senators and Congressmen and DEMAND that they do what ever it takes to use (not just encourage) alternative fuel and energy sources.

PickensPlan

Wind mills, solar power, natural gas, bio fuels, we need them all. If we sit idly by and let someone speak for us, we have no reason to complain. Use your voice!

Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
Projected means they didn't even bother coming out to read your meter, they just simply estimated. You need to get on the phone with them and ask for someone to come out and read it immediately.
Yeah, in NY I used to get estimated electric bills. If I remember correctly, though, the next time they read your meter they adjust for what you've already been charged.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:14 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Over here in Burnsville, NC where I am, the stations ran out of gas on Thursday. Before they ran out of gas, the price jumped 60 cents in a few hours per gallon.
Yet I cannot believe how many people still are using gas guzzling SUVS.
Pam

Old 09-13-2008, 04:19 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
Taxes on gas. Florida is a heavy gas taxer. I can go to Alabama and expect to pay .20 cheaper.
The increase in the past 2 days of 39% is not due to taxes.... Greed comes to mind.....

Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 PM

131 posts, read 577,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I really, really, really, really recommend that people go out today and stock up on food. Not kidding. Food prices are going to go through the roof because of gasoline prices due to those offshore rigs going offline for the storm. The big trucks that deliver the food to the stores are going to pay extremely high prices for for fuel and that cost is going to be passed on to you with your grocery purchases.

Laura, I posted on another forum that we were filling up and doing a Sam's Club run and he (some guy) made fun of me. I've been made fun of before and I'll be made fun of again, but I bought what I needed to and we're good go go. The way I look at it is, if it costs $x.oo now, what's it going to cost later?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
The increase in the past 2 days of 39% is not due to taxes.... Greed comes to mind.....
You are right about that......they are price gouging. But typically gas in the south is more expensive because of state taxes. The more south you go, the higher the gas prices.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:40 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
It's $3.85 now at Wally World.......

Old 09-13-2008, 06:55 PM

65 posts, read 240,889 times
The gas right now in Central Florida on the west coast is $3.66
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee