Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Jza Jza started this thread

259 posts, read 379,807 times

Advertisements

Just some tips needed.. I'm still hoping to drive down there and look around when the freezing weather goes away. I've looked at a few stores and haven't found a nice sized map of TN yet, but I will. I'm gonna try to buy a compass somewhere too. Also gonna bring a notebook to write everything down.

What do you think I should add or omit from my possible trip list I made.

In Knoxville area:

Maryville, Oak Ridge, and of course Knoxville itself. On google maps there seems to be a lot of computer businesses in western Knox.

Further our west of Knox:

Cookesville, Crossville.

Upon entering the state, or leaving... Tri Cities:

Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City.

On rent.com some of the places have nice looking rental areas as low as under 600 per month. Am I missing something? In the pictures they look like nice places. Clean and all. Just for around those prices around where I live now I expect to have hookers or something on the block to justify such a low rent.

Anyway the places look really nice to live in while I bust myself trying to start a career or something. Especially the ones with washer/dryer hookups. I like doing my laundry at home.

Oh and also there are plenty of motels around that I can go to sleep in if I need to crash for the night right? I mean, I'd rough it but the woman wants to go with me so bad and I wouldn't want her to endure the conditions I'd put myself through to save money and time.

What do you guys think? Sorry if I asked too many Q's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
My goodness, it sure sounds like you've got a lot on your plate for your visit to Tennessee. I hope you've given yourself enough time to really see everything.

First off, I don't think you'll have any problems finding a decent place to live for $600/month as long as you're not expecting to live somewhere luxurious. If you want to live in West Knox, I think you'll have a harder time finding something in that price range. But if you don't mind a bit of a commute, you can live in Roane County and commute to West Knox--with all the traffic.

I'm not sure what you'll find in Crossville since it's a pretty small town that doesn't have too many jobs. But on the bright side, the cost of living there is cheap.

What kind of computer business are you looking for? Selling computers? Servicing computers? IT?

You're right that you shouldn't have any problems finding a job in any of those fields in Knoxville. The same is probably true in the Tri Cities. I would imagine that Oak Ridge, with all its high tech industry, would have more of those types of jobs. Likewise, Cookeville with its university and because it's the headquarters of a giant trucking company (Averitt Express) probably has more of those type jobs than most small cities its size.

As far as inexpensive motels, there are PLENTY around here, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend the cheapest as sometimes the cheap motels are used by drug dealers. It seems that about once or twice a month there's an article in the paper about another meth lab busted at a cheap motel around here.

I hope you have a wonderful trip, and please don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you have! A bunch of us here are rooting for you!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 PM

60 posts, read 308,678 times
As you may have heard, Oreck Vacuum has just relocated to Cookeville from Mississippi due to trouble obtaining affordable insurance after Katrina. They have ads in the paper for jobs EVERY DAY! Especially for their call centers. SunTrust bank also has a call center here, and Averitt is building a new call center for their corporate headquarters that's expected to add about 400 jobs. I don't know what these jobs pay, but it seems there are plenty of them!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC38506 View Post
As you may have heard, Oreck Vacuum has just relocated to Cookeville from Mississippi due to trouble obtaining affordable insurance after Katrina. They have ads in the paper for jobs EVERY DAY! Especially for their call centers. SunTrust bank also has a call center here, and Averitt is building a new call center for their corporate headquarters that's expected to add about 400 jobs. I don't know what these jobs pay, but it seems there are plenty of them!
I keep forgetting about SunTrust! You're right, there shouldn't be a shortage of IT type jobs in Cookeville. I drove by the Averitt construction site the other day, and holy cow that call center they're constructing is a big building! It'll look good there with all those other new buildings along Old Kentucky Road.

Nashville State Tech Community College opened a Cookeville branch because so many industries in the Cookeville area have complained that there's a shortage of IT trained people in the area. So I hope that means you could get a job in Cookeville, Jza.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 PM

If you consider having a washer and dryer in your apartment luxury... Heh, I just want a nice place to live with nice neighbors that respect eachother.

I'm looking for an entry level or higher tech job. On paper I'm only qualified for entry level stuff but I know I am capable of more. Just gotta start from the bottom somewhere. I just want to work at the bottom of something good, not crumby.

As long as the drug dealer doesn't try to harm my girl, I won't have to add to TN's murder rate.

I do kinda get that tech vibe from Oak Ridge during my research. Sounds like my cup of tea.

How much time do you think I should give myself to check out all these places? I am just afraid of spending too much during this trip. I'm very froogle with what I have and I try not to be wasteful unless I have a firm base (safe home and a steady job). Then after I work hard and enjoy Tennessee's nicer people and warmer weather hehe, I'll try to start enjoying life again.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
If you consider having a washer and dryer in your apartment luxury... Heh, I just want a nice place to live with nice neighbors that respect eachother.

I'm looking for an entry level or higher tech job. On paper I'm only qualified for entry level stuff but I know I am capable of more. Just gotta start from the bottom somewhere. I just want to work at the bottom of something good, not crumby.

As long as the drug dealer doesn't try to harm my girl, I won't have to add to TN's murder rate.

I do kinda get that tech vibe from Oak Ridge during my research. Sounds like my cup of tea.

How much time do you think I should give myself to check out all these places? I am just afraid of spending too much during this trip. I'm very froogle with what I have and I try not to be wasteful unless I have a firm base (safe home and a steady job). Then after I work hard and enjoy Tennessee's nicer people and warmer weather hehe, I'll try to start enjoying life again.
Have you looked at any online job hunter web sites?

Oak Ridge is a nice area, although I don't think it has any inexpensive motels. For that, you'll probably have to stay in West Knox, particularly around the Cedar Bluff exit off I-40. When you're in Cookeville there are several inexpensive motels off I-40.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Yes, I even sent my resume to a few places to be scoffed at, rolled up into a ball and thrown into the trash can. Yes Pessimist. My main concern for a motel is to shower. I don't want to be nasty. I'd sleep in the car if I could.

A job for me is basically the same criteria I look for in a home. Doesn't have to pay me a ton. If there are nice people to work with and we all get along and I can pay the bills, I'm set.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Good Mornin'.

I usually go to bed early and rise early, hence the delay. What exactly do you do with computers? Customer service? Where have you worked before?

Old 02-07-2007, 09:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Just some tips needed.. I'm still hoping to drive down there and look around when the freezing weather goes away. I've looked at a few stores and haven't found a nice sized map of TN yet, but I will. I'm gonna try to buy a compass somewhere too. Also gonna bring a notebook to write everything down.

What do you think I should add or omit from my possible trip list I made.

What do you guys think? Sorry if I asked too many Q's!
Stop in the gas station when you get there and pick up Superior street maps. They have them for each county. I'll tell you why. These street maps have the neighborhood names, school names, church names, attractions etc., right on the map. So, if you see something you like, you'll know what neighborhood it's in within the town/city. You may decide some neighborhoods interest you and some don't within a town/city. It will help you to either communicate your preferences when you return home or will ring a bell with you when you see a house photo and read, for example, "Nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath 2000 sq ft house on 2 acres in the Moochydale neighborhood." You can pull out your map and see exactly where the Moochydale neighborhood is. The map company is in Knoxville so I'm thinking that's why all of the detail on their maps.

One of mine is Oak Ridge and Anderson County Street Map. Another one I have, but not at my fingetips is a Knoxville Street map (which I believe has all of Knox County on it.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
On rent.com some of the places have nice looking rental areas as low as under 600 per month. Am I missing something? In the pictures they look like nice places.
You get what you pay for. You also need to ask, "Is water included?" when you find one you like.

Use the Knoxville Apartment Guide. You can get one online and it will come to you within a week. It's free. It includes Maryville, Seymour, Sevierville, Knoxville (west, east, downtown, etc.), Farragut and Oak Ridge. Don't know if the tri-cities area has one of their own.

If you don't order it online, you can pick them up in gas stations and supermarkets once you get to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee